Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Hunter killer with Gerald butler is watchable thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Capitani Season 1 (Luxembourgish-a first for me)
    In a Luxembourg village where everyone is keeping secrets, gruff police inspector Luc Capitani investigates the suspicious death of a 15-year-old girl.

Growing up and other problems (spainish)
    A 30-something woman without a steady partner or income samples stability when her pregnant best friend asks her to be the godmother of her child.

Red Dot (Swedish)
    Trying to rekindle their marriage and with a child on the way, a young couple on a ski trip suddenly finds themselves stalked by remorseless killers.

Squared Love (Polish)
    A celebrity journalist and renowned womanizer starts to rethink his life choices after he falls for a mysterious model who leads a double life.

Squared Love
    A celebrity journalist and renowned womanizer starts to rethink his life choices after he falls for a mysterious model who leads a double life.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm two episodes into "Sex Education" and really struggling. Firstly I don't understand the decision to have a British cast and then make everything overly American in style.

And the writing isn't very subtle. The dastardly principal; the troubled bully who will no doubt become their friend; the gay black best friend who's probably also a traveller and Jewish; the troubled teen bad girl with a secret. All very paint by numbers. Asa Butterfield also freaks me out for some reason. My best description of this is an adult version of Glee hopefully with less curses.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

p to the e wrote: »
    I'm two episodes into "Sex Education" and really struggling. Firstly I don't understand the decision to have a British cast and then make everything overly American in style.

And the writing isn't very subtle. The dastardly principal; the troubled bully who will no doubt become their friend; the gay black best friend who's probably also a traveller and Jewish; the troubled teen bad girl with a secret. All very paint by numbers. Asa Butterfield also freaks me out for some reason. My best description of this is an adult version of Glee hopefully with less curses.

Sex Education is one of the best shows Netflix have made, especially S1. It might look a bit American at first but you get less and less aware of it as it goes on. Plus, there's really not a lot of difference these days between teens around the world. I have no idea why you'd compare it to Glee, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sex Education is one of the best shows Netflix have made, especially S1. It might look a bit American at first but you get less and less aware of it as it goes on. Plus, there's really not a lot of difference these days between teens around the world. I have no idea why you'd compare it to Glee, to be honest.

As I said I'm only two episodes in so maybe it needs to find its feet but so far the obvious American type setting is annoying. Maybe I'm just too cynical for such a show. What, in your opinion, makes it one of the best shows Netflix have made?

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    As I said I'm only two episodes in so maybe it needs to find its feet but so far the obvious American type setting is annoying. Maybe I'm just too cynical for such a show. What, in your opinion, makes it one of the best shows Netflix have made?

It's fun, for a start. It's got way more depth to it than you might think initially. The premise might be a bit outlandish, but the way they use it throughout the show is really well done. It's very relatable, even as an adult. The characters are all initially presented as the stereotypical teens, yes, but they go way beyond that as the show goes on. The balance of comedy, drama and emotion is really good. I think the writing is really good too, yes, they're addressing "issues" a lot of the time, but they do it in a really honest and natural way. And the cast is great. Compare it to something in a similar vein like HBO's Euphoria, or even Skins, and it's just a far more realistic and believable, and better quality show.

That's not to say everyone will, or has to, like it. But I honestly think S1 is my favourite thing I've watched on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

I didn't make it to the end of episode one of sex education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Why is there so little Irish stuff on Netflix in comparison to the Nordic countries? There doesn't seem to be any Irish originals or anything.
    It's not like RTE are producing much either.

I don't know with the price rises, it seems a lot more quantity over quality especially the past year. So much rubbish from America on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The best Netflix show is Teenage Bounty Hunters, end of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Why is there so little Irish stuff on Netflix in comparison to the Nordic countries? There doesn't seem to be any Irish originals or anything.

I don't know with the price rises, it seems a lot more quantity over quality especially the past year. So much rubbish from America on there.

Enjoyed Calm with Horses last night.....very Irish!

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Enjoyed Calm with Horses last night.....very Irish!

Yeah I watched it a while ago, also Broken Law with John Connors was decent I thought. Haven't noticed much other Irish stuff though in months.

Be nice if they could get a few Irish drama series going or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I'm actually embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Yeah I watched it a while ago, also Broken Law with John Connors was decent I thought. Haven't noticed much other Irish stuff though in months.

Be nice if they could get a few Irish drama series going or something.

2 of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through , only reason I gave them a chance and watched them until the end was because they were Irish, absolute garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was on RTÉ Player today because they have all of Frasier and they have a lot of Irish shows so I'd imagine they try to maintain the rights themselves maybe.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I was on RTÉ Player today because they have all of Frasier and they have a lot of Irish shows so I'd imagine they try to maintain the rights themselves maybe.

RTE player is unusable really, filled with adverts as well despite paying them millions in license fee.

They and TG4 should just do a deal with Netflix or something, stick Love Hate and a few things on there. Bunch of dinosaurs in RTE think the Player is a competitor to Netflix ffs

2 of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through , only reason I gave them a chance and watched them until the end was because they were Irish, absolute garbage

Broken Law was good I thought, but I like low budget crime films like the Essex/Cockney and hooligan ones in England. Connors is carving a bit of a niche for himself in that regard.

I didn't really like Calm with Horses though, the main character wasn't great and Barry Keoghans character was annoying. It could have been a good film if it was written better, I liked the rural setting to it.

The issue is there is so little Irish stuff coming out anymore there isn't really any competition. Anything Irish will get a watch because there is so little being put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

RTE player is unusable really, filled with adverts as well despite paying them millions in license fee.

They and TG4 should just do a deal with Netflix or something, stick Love Hate and a few things on there. Bunch of dinosaurs in RTE think the Player is a competitor to Netflix ffs

I think it's improved and I really don't mind the ads seeing as it's free, there are only 3 at a time max. All4 is similar, great selection of stuff there and it's completely free.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

john9876 wrote: »
    Probably breaking the thread rules, but if you have access to C4 player, there's a couple of great ones on Walter presents at the moment, All the Sins & Deliver Us.

Would there be any interest in a Walter Presents/Scandi thread? Watching the Twelve at the moment, recommend if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. All of the conspiracy/ online know it alls really bothered me in it. Was very dragged out too

Watched the first episode before bed and it really freaked me out!
    Will save the rest for when I want to watch something during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's certainly up there with the best for me even though I was a little hesitant at the start.

I did not get through all of Sex Education as for some reason I really struggle with UK teen shows, not really sure why I've got such an aversion to them.

• Advertisement

I agree actually. I'm still so upset about it being cancelled that I've blocked it from my mind, that's why I said Sex Education earlier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's certainly up there with the best for me even though I was a little hesitant at the start.
    It was excellent. The name probably didn't do it any favours though and made some people rush to judgement. Really deserved far better than much of the actual teenage junk that gets renewed (e.g. most of the CW's output).

Would there be any interest in a Walter Presents/Scandi thread? Watching the Twelve at the moment, recommend if you haven't seen it.

There used to be a general streaming thread. Maybe bring that back. All4, Now TV, TG4 etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

peteeeed wrote: »
    Capitani Season 1 (Luxembourgish-a first for me)
    In a Luxembourg village where everyone is keeping secrets, gruff police inspector Luc Capitani investigates the suspicious death of a 15-year-old girl.

Growing up and other problems (spainish)
    A 30-something woman without a steady partner or income samples stability when her pregnant best friend asks her to be the godmother of her child.

Red Dot (Swedish)
    Trying to rekindle their marriage and with a child on the way, a young couple on a ski trip suddenly finds themselves stalked by remorseless killers.

Squared Love (Polish)

Squared Love

added

Squared Love - squared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Have you actually watched it or are you just going off the title?

I had no intention of watching it until someone posted in here about it

It's so intelligent and funny, probably a bit too smart and not enough smaltzy nonsense for a show about teenagers - I genuinely considered ending my subscription when they cancelled it, it was that good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Denny61 wrote: »
    Hunter killer with Gerald butler is watchable thriller
    I'm recording this at the moment. NetFlix do need to up their film game.

today · Thu, Feb 11 · 22:00-00:20 · 301. Film4+1
    Hunter Killer

Tue, Feb 16 · 21:00-23:20 · 300. Film4
    Tue, Feb 16 · 22:00-00:20 · 301. Film4+1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm recording this at the moment. NetFlix do need to up their film game.

today · Thu, Feb 11 · 22:00-00:20 · 301. Film4+1
    Hunter Killer

Tue, Feb 16 · 21:00-23:20 · 300. Film4
    Tue, Feb 16 · 22:00-00:20 · 301. Film4+1

A random crap film is on film 4? Well that's my sub canceled for sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think it's improved and I really don't mind the ads seeing as it's free, there are only 3 at a time max. All4 is similar, great selection of stuff there and it's completely free.

When ever I try to play something on rte player on my laptop it freezes every two minutes. It’s torture trying to watch something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I thought Maltese the Mafia detective was very good on that lineup,

Advertisement