Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rte player is the Lada of the streaming platforms.

Absolute junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Halfway through episode two of Deadwind. Really liking this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭dublin49

just finished "News of the World".nice evening viewing.Typical Hanks performance but as always satisfying,He engages you very early with his craggy charisma and subtle performance.Worth a look ,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Teen Titans Go To The Movies was added the other day. It's a very silly little film but I found it hilarious.

Basically Robin gets jealous of all the super heros getting their own films and sets out to get one of his own with help from the other titans. There's a lot of superhero in jokes and some really surreal moments. There's a great time travel bit in it too that references several origin stories.

If you have kids in the house they'll probably get a kick out of some of the more juvenile stuff but there's a lot to amuse grown ups too.

peteeeed wrote: »
    its scandi wednesday again

Kronjuvelerna

added

This, if I'm not mistaken, is an early Alicia Vikander film. Bill Skarsgard is in it too. I saw it a few years ago and I liked it. It has a kind of dark fairytale type quality to it. It's about two people, Vikander and Skarsgard, who are born in the same hospital on the same day, but to two very different families. He sort of becomes obsessed with her as they're growing up but she's not interested in him. I think it opens with her being arrested for attempted murder and the interrogation tells the story of how their lives intertwined. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I do remember enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hate by Dani Rovira
    From his hometown of Málaga, Dani Rovira reflects on human beings’ nonsensical hatred in this hilarious and unfiltered comedy special.

To All the Boys: Always and Forever
    This third film in the To All the Boys series finds Lara Jean Covey preparing for the end of high school and the start of adulthood, a pair of life-changing trips leads her to reimagine what life with her family, friends and Peter will look like after graduation.

Buried by the Bernards: Season 1
    In this reality series, the bickering but big-hearted Bernards manage their budget-friendly funeral home while helping grieving families say farewell.

Xico’s Journey
    A girl, a dog and her best pal set out to save a mountain from a gold-hungry corporation.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Charlie19 wrote: »

Absolute junk.

That's extremely harsh on Lada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Charlie19 wrote: »

Absolute junk.

This is a brilliant so true! You have to watch 6 ads before it starts a programme + then if it freezes( which it does a million times) and you try and move it on a bit bang another 6 ads to watch.

Absolute torture. Quality of picture is also very poor on player. If you use say All 4 same quality as on TV but not rte.

And anyone who says it's free it's not we pay €160 a year in licence fees. That's the same as year of Netflix subscription.

I actually prefer to record programmes and replay if I can.

yabadabado wrote: »
    That's extremely harsh on Lada.

Ha ha brilliant.

Thought the Alienist was brilliant.

Onto season 2 this weekend.

Those that have mentioned Its a Sin on Channel 4 it's outstanding.

Best series I have watched in long time.

I'm still not over the emotional effect it had on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

appledrop wrote: »
    This is a brilliant so true! You have to watch 6 ads before it starts a programme + then if it freezes( which it does a million times) and you try and move it on a bit bang another 6 ads to watch.

Absolute torture. Quality of picture is also very poor on player. If you use say All 4 same quality as on TV but not rte.

And anyone who says it's free it's not we pay €160 a year in licence fees. That's the same as year of Netflix subscription.

I actually prefer to record programmes and replay if I can.

Yeah I gave up on RTE player years ago and just record stuff I want to watch. I still think RTE can be pretty good. The player is such a piece of crap though - I saw a graphic a couple of years ago showing where their money is spent - online services was one of the lowest below the RTE orchestra(s). I'm not sure if it's like that any more, surely they know they need to invest in online to remain relevant. They did invest in recent years but to me it looked more like UI changes and adding some additional content that you still can't really watch without tearing your hair our :pac:

I hope they figure it out and start streaming content properly because I'd hate to see them gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

appledrop wrote: »
    Thought the Alienist was brilliant.

Onto season 2 this weekend.

Those that have mentioned Its a Sin on Channel 4 it's outstanding.

Best series I have watched in long time.

I'm still not over the emotional effect it had on me!

I actually think season 2 of the alienist is better than the first season.

I use the RTÉ player on my Samsung TV all the time and I can't say a bad word about it, to be honest.

I'd say there's less ads than All4 and no issues with the quality of streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I use the RTÉ player on my Samsung TV all the time and I can't say a bad word about it, to be honest.

I'd say there's less ads than All4 and no issues with the quality of streaming.

All4 just takes the píss with ads. I've had no issue on my android TV box with the rte player either, it, and tg4 are surprisingly good these days imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

The banner in the main Netflix page keeps showing me previews for crap old TV shows.

I’m pretty sure that it used to show the latest movie releases.

I didn’t even know Ma Rainy and New of the World are on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

White House Farm season 1
    Based on true events, a detective delves deeper into a seemingly straightforward case after a misunderstood woman is accused of murdering her family.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Based on true events, a detective delves deeper into a seemingly straightforward case after a misunderstood woman is accused of murdering her family.

added

Will be interested in hearing reports back on this
    I need a true crime doc for the mid term break :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

White House Farm is ok.
    There have been better but i didn't consider it a waste of time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would strongly recommend unauthorized living, it started very good, hit a lull and finished brilliantly

It's a long watch as most episodes are 70 or 80 minutes long

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

White tiger was grand
    A solid 7
    Probably about half an hour too long tbh

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Will be interested in hearing reports back on this
    I need a true crime doc for the mid term break :)

It's not a doc. It's a drama. Was on ITV last year. Mark Addy and Stephen Graham are in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a weird prejudice on my part, but I'm always faintly amused to hear ITV still make dramas. Like the little station that keeps on keeping on. I had always assumed it had finally become 24 hour Ant & Dec hosted reality trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

For anyone like me who was dithering Parks and Rec is brilliant.

Sex Education is solid 10/10. Once you get invested in the characters the emotional arc is outstanding. Forget about the english/US odd setting. For me its easily the best series Netflix has produced.

Superstore is great background fluff. Was great to see Garrett in Parks. Kill the birds !

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

inforfun wrote: »
    White House Farm is ok.
    There have been better but i didn't consider it a waste of time either.

I enjoyed it .. I remember those events at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I watched Outside the Wire earlier.

A decent action movie but the two lead characters were all over the place. They even seemed to swap personalities a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. All of the conspiracy/ online know it alls really bothered me in it. Was very dragged out too

If you look further into the Cecil Hotel it isn't as creep and the deaths associated with it aren't that much of a mystery as the stories make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a weird prejudice on my part, but I'm always faintly amused to hear ITV still make dramas. Like the little station that keeps on keeping on. I had always assumed it had finally become 24 hour Ant & Dec hosted reality trash.

They have a fondness for 60s,70s and 80s set dramas,suspect they have sheds full of old props and cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

pixelburp wrote: »

They have enough channels anyway with ITV1-4 and ITV Encore and ITVBe. I'm not sure the latter two were necessary there is very little original content on any of them. Another nuisance I find with Sky is ITV aren't on EPG and it's a chore going to other channels way.

Anyway to take this back to Netflix I think I'm going to start the ITV Series Safe House. I had watched the first episode ages ago on TV it seemed interesting. Only S1 on there though not sure where season 2 is I'll have to look elsewhere

Just watched Midnight Sky really enjoyed it, although I would have preferred a slightly better ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

added

What’s the true story it’s based on?

Advertisement