Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s the true story it’s based on?

The case of Jeremy Bamber, who was convicted of murdering both of his parents, his sister and her six-year-old twin sons at the family farmhouse in Essex in August 1985.

There is also a Doc called "White House Farm Murders: The New Evidence" which analyses the events of that fateful night, the subsequent investigation, and what was - and wasn't - presented at the trial of Bamber, asking whether someone else could have killed the family at White House Farm.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The case of Jeremy Bamber, who was convicted of murdering both of his parents, his sister and her six-year-old twin sons at the family farmhouse in Essex in August 1985.

There is also a Doc called "White House Farm Murders: The New Evidence" which analyses the events of that fateful night, the subsequent investigation, and what was - and wasn't - presented at the trial of Bamber, asking whether someone else could have killed the family at White House Farm.

Thanks, I remember that case. I thought he did cause of an inheritance issue and he also really hated his parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

Watched Contagion recently. I had been put off giving it a go it by a reviewer last March who said it would put the scares on people. I found it eerily true to our current pandemic. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

News of the World is very good, Tom Hanks excellent in it along with the little girl alongside him.

Cecil Hotel series was worth a watch but yes it did seem quite dragged out across 4 episodes.

Operation Finale also well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Watched Devil at the Crossed Roads well impressed a documentary on Robert Johnson a member of the "27 club"

Anybody have any suggestions for romcom valentines movie??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've been watching Below Deck. "Reality" series based on the crew of luxury yacht. Perfect mindless fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

pottokblue wrote: »
    Watched Devil at the Crossed Roads well impressed a documentary on Robert Johnson a member of the "27 club"

The notebook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    The notebook

I love the notebook but couldn't watch it for Valentines too sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really looking forward to News of World.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of Westerns films but love Tom Hanks and Paul Greengrass films so I'd say I'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Notebook is definitely not a Romcom! Good movie though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Informer unlike a lot of shows built to an excellent finish
    Highly recommended

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched The Half of It last night it was very good, probably more a coming of age film than a rom com but it has elements of both.

Always Be My Maybe is a straight up rom com and wasn't bad, worth watching for a very funny cameo from a well known actor.

Watched Saint Frances last night, probably the best film I've seen in a while. Definitely not a rom com though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

I love The Notebook but for a few laughs I’d recommend The Proposal & Something’s Gotta Give. I may have watched all three multiple times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched The Half of It last night it was very good, probably more a coming of age film than a rom com but it has elements of both.

The Half of It was one of my favourite films of last year. It's definitely a film about love, in all it's forms, and ideal for Valentine's Day if you actually want a film about love. But yeah, it's not a "rom com" in the way of something like Plus One, or Definitely Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tautological

News of the World is very good, Tom Hanks excellent in it along with the little girl alongside him.

Cecil Hotel series was worth a watch but yes it did seem quite dragged out across 4 episodes.

Operation Finale also well worth a watch.

Cecil hotel was certainly dragged out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Caranica wrote: »
    I've been watching Below Deck. "Reality" series based on the crew of luxury yacht. Perfect mindless fluff.

Bit of an oxymornon, no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bit of an oxymornon, no?

Easy watching, stupid TV

Cecil hotel was certainly dragged out

From what I gather a lot of the mystery they create in it is a bit of a misrepresentation of the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Lovebirds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Masala wrote: »
    Enjoyed Calm with Horses last night.....very Irish!

Very Irish these days translates as very ****e and Calm with Horses did not disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought Calm with Horses was excellent myself, it's really a character drama that's darkly humourous at times with crime as the backdrop, I think too many people expected something entirely different from it.

I think with 94% on RT, 7/10 on IMDB and 83% approval on Google, it's safe enough to say it's not "very ****e"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Watched About Time last night, with Domhnall Gleeson and Amy Adams. Being a Richard Curtis film it nails that twee English vibe for Americans, but its pleasant with a few laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stay well clear of Spree, it's absolute drivel.

Youtuber goes on a killing spree whilst documenting his actions on a live feed, in search of likes and followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was looking for something to watch over the weekend and couldn't believe the amount of content from Bollywood spread between the UK and USA netflix, especially the american library. It definitely looked to be more Bollywood than Hollywood.

That part of Asia just doesn't do it for me when I want to watch something, I don't know what is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Very Irish these days translates as very ****e and Calm with Horses did not disappoint.

I thought it was very good
    Bleak but good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Thanks for the suggestions I went with France/Irlande match followed by Sabrina (1954) Bogart and Hepburn on RTE1 class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The Icelandic police drama "The Valhalla Murders" is very good. Binge it, a well written drama.. really got stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

appledrop wrote: »
    Just watched Midnight Sky really enjoyed it, although I would have preferred a slightly better ending.

I watched that just after Christmas. I really enjoyed it but
    humanity I’d still doomed. At some stage the two astronauts will die and the kids will be all alone.

What didn’t you like about the ending?
    For once I didn’t see the “twist” because once the kid turned up I expected the astronauts to oil off some daring rescue - hence humanity will live on another generation. I saw nothing to hint that she wasn’t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched that just after Christmas. I really enjoyed it but
    humanity I’d still doomed. At some stage the two astronauts will die and the kids will be all alone.

What didn’t you like about the ending?
    For once I didn’t see the “twist” because once the kid turned up I expected the astronauts to oil off some daring rescue - hence humanity will live on another generation. I saw nothing to hint that she wasn’t there.
    it's a while since a read the book, but I am pretty sure it is clear in the book the kid isn't real? But then again the book also has a different ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Stay well clear of Spree, it's absolute drivel.

Youtuber goes on a killing spree whilst documenting his actions on a live feed, in search of likes and followers.

Just watched it based on this recommendation cause I was looking for some drivel but it was actually kinda brilliant

Perfectly watchable, good characters, very good performance from the leading actor, interesting plot, nice pacing. I actually really liked this film

Advertisement