Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Akrasia wrote: »
    Just watched it based on this recommendation cause I was looking for some drivel but it was actually kinda brilliant

Perfectly watchable, good characters, very good performance from the leading actor, interesting plot, nice pacing. I actually really liked this film

Haha I'm glad to be of service:)

I watched up until he had the two girls and the camp guy and I just couldn't stomach it any further. There wasn't one likeable character in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,877 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoyed Spree for what it is too..

.. Joe Keery is great fun in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Crew Season 1 (Kevin James)
    Life in the garage swerves off track for a NASCAR crew chief and his tight-knit racing team when a new boss steps in and shakes things up.

Are You The One season 1&2
    Determined by a dating algorithm, a group of single contestants must identify their perfect matches for a shot at love and a cash prize.

Leaving Neverland
    Two men tell their story of childhood sexual abuse in this two-part documentary detailing allegations against Michael Jackson.

Open Water
    A vacationing couple on a scuba diving expedition accidentally gets left behind and is stranded for endless hours in shark-infested waters

Wheel of Fortune (4 seasons)
    Pat Sajak and Vanna White host one of TV's most popular, long-running game shows, where players spin a wheel for prizes and solve mystery phrases.

Astro Boy
    Astro Boy, a young robot with superpowers, embarks on a dangerous odyssey in search of purpose before returning home to save his loved ones

Mother's Day
    The trials and tribulations of several Atlanta moms (and one clueless widower dad) make it a Mother's Day to remember in this ensemble comedy.

Sabotage
    A crack team of DEA agents plots a daring heist, making off with $10 million in drug money. They soon find themselves targets of an unknown killer.

Little Man
    A man is so eager to become a dad that he'll believe anything, including the notion that a baby-faced thief on the lam is really an abandoned toddler

My Teacher, My Obsession
    When Riley changed schools, she didn't expect the girls to crush on her English teacher dad. And he didn't expect a disturbing infatuation.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Homelander wrote: »
    Thought Calm with Horses was excellent myself, it's really a character drama that's darkly humourous at times with crime as the backdrop, I think too many people expected something entirely different from it.

I think with 94% on RT, 7/10 on IMDB and 83% approval on Google, it's safe enough to say it's not "very ****e"

I believe the Irish Times reviews sums it up perfectly ending with the synopsis "Full marks for character and setting. Less enthusiastic hurrahs for narrative arc"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have heard Calm with Horses was good, but I generally avoid Irish cinema as a policy, precisely because I'm nearly never in the mood for the predominance of kitchen-sink misery many features possess as a prerequisite. Too many "grounded" films with Very Important Issues ground into the scripts.

Fadó fadó on Boards, I remember it being hinted/suggested that the Irish Film Board tended to only greenlight or support scripts that plough this latterday Angela's Ashes vibe; the belief that this was what sold internationally (Irish films === the misery of the poor). I've no idea how true that was, or if it was that it still exists today - but it's a seductive reduction given output like (say) Extra Ordinary or Sea Fever are such rare beasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sam Hain wrote: »
    I believe the Irish Times reviews sums it up perfectly ending with the synopsis "Full marks for character and setting. Less enthusiastic hurrahs for narrative arc"

They also went on to give it 3/5, acknowledging that its strengths outshine its weaknesses, so to be honest I am not sure how you can call that the perfect synopsis when you yourself said it's "very ****e".....being genuine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

For most Irish films you need low expectations beforehand because the budgets are quite low/limited and other issues.

I wonder what the budget was for calm with horses? When you see so much total crap from Hollywood/US on tens and hundreds of millions it puts things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Binge watched White House Farm last night. I really enjoyed it well acted dramatisation of a true story .The 80's setting was well evoked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have heard Calm with Horses was good, but I generally avoid Irish cinema as a policy, precisely because I'm nearly never in the mood for the predominance of kitchen-sink misery many features possess as a prerequisite. Too many "grounded" films with Very Important Issues ground into the scripts.

Fadó fadó on Boards, I remember it being hinted/suggested that the Irish Film Board tended to only greenlight or support scripts that plough this latterday Angela's Ashes vibe; the belief that this was what sold internationally (Irish films === the misery of the poor). I've no idea how true that was, or if it was that it still exists today - but it's a seductive reduction given output like (say) Extra Ordinary or Sea Fever are such rare beasts.

You've nailed it on the misery point. That sterotype has developed alright. I was watching another one - Broken Law at the weekend. It was ok. Big focus on scumbag characters - pissling on the streets, drugs, the tracksuit generation etc.
    I really like calm with horses. But based on your comments above, I'd stay well clear if I was you.

As a little (irrelevant) point. I was watching Hunter Killer last night - submarine thriller with Gerard Butler. Every so often in the sub, a familiar face would appear on the screen. I thought it was the guy from Calm with Horses. Just looked it up there. And indeed it is - Cosmo Jarvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Possibly. I'd say such films are also backed because they'll have a lower budget and higher probability of getting made too though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think there's probably as many non "gritty" Irish films getting funded, they just don't get the same promotion or support.

Calm With Horses was co funded by Film4, so it got a UK release, it got reviewed by lots of UK media, it's on the longlist for several BAFTAs.

They vary in quality but over the last few years there's been films like Handsome Devil, Extra-Ordinary, Grabbers, Dating Amber, Metal Heart, The Young Offenders, Kissing Candice, The Hole in the Ground, Gold, Sing Street, The Last Right, The Drummer and The Keeper, Sea Fever etc. etc.

To get back to Netflix..... I think we should have some sort of deal with them like Australia has. They have an agreement that Netflix commits to producing a certain amount of Australian content for the service over a certain amount of time. I know Netflix have filmed, or will be filming, quite a few things here, but I don't think any of them are Irish stories, or even stories from Irish writers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there's probably as many non "gritty" Irish films getting funded, they just don't get the same promotion or support.

Calm With Horses was co funded by Film4, so it got a UK release, it got reviewed by lots of UK media, it's on the longlist for several BAFTAs.

They vary in quality but over the last few years there's been films like Handsome Devil, Extra-Ordinary, Grabbers, Dating Amber, Metal Heart, The Young Offenders, Kissing Candice, The Hole in the Ground, Gold, Sing Street, The Last Right, The Drummer and The Keeper, Sea Fever etc. etc.

I agree about the promotional aspect, and perhaps streaming will help this; I think Hole in the Ground benefitted from being on Netflix IIRC. I would mention that Grabbers is 8 years and counting, so I think that speaks to my point as to the rarity of anything genre related!
    To get back to Netflix..... I think we should have some sort of deal with them like Australia has. They have an agreement that Netflix commits to producing a certain amount of Australian content for the service over a certain amount of time. I know Netflix have filmed, or will be filming, quite a few things here, but I don't think any of them are Irish stories, or even stories from Irish writers.

Aren't we part of this, by dint of that EU law requiring 30% of productions being EU based? I'd presumed as much because of the uptick in French & German material, and that we're just being ignored because we're such a small market.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Aren't we part of this, by dint of that EU law requiring 30% of productions being EU based? I'd presumed as much because of the uptick in French & German material, and that we're just being ignored because we're such a small market.

Maybe we are. There's a fair bit of Irish content on the service, some of it you'd wonder why it's there, but it's all stuff that was made by TV channels, none of it's Netflix commissioned. You're probably right about the EU thing. We should Brexit for better Irish content :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »
    Sabotage
    A crack team of DEA agents plots a daring heist, making off with $10 million in drug money. They soon find themselves targets of an unknown killer.

added
    The director, David Ayer, seems to get under people's skin, but I consider this great late Schwarzenegger fare. Maybe I was just relieved to find out no one has any superpowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Crew Season 1 (Kevin James)
    Life in the garage swerves off track for a NASCAR crew chief and his tight-knit racing team when a new boss steps in and shakes things up.

Are You The One season 1&2
    Determined by a dating algorithm, a group of single contestants must identify their perfect matches for a shot at love and a cash prize.

Leaving Neverland
    Two men tell their story of childhood sexual abuse in this two-part documentary detailing allegations against Michael Jackson.

Open Water
    A vacationing couple on a scuba diving expedition accidentally gets left behind and is stranded for endless hours in shark-infested waters

Wheel of Fortune (4 seasons)
    Pat Sajak and Vanna White host one of TV's most popular, long-running game shows, where players spin a wheel for prizes and solve mystery phrases.

Astro Boy
    Astro Boy, a young robot with superpowers, embarks on a dangerous odyssey in search of purpose before returning home to save his loved ones

Mother's Day
    The trials and tribulations of several Atlanta moms (and one clueless widower dad) make it a Mother's Day to remember in this ensemble comedy.

Sabotage

Little Man
    A man is so eager to become a dad that he'll believe anything, including the notion that a baby-faced thief on the lam is really an abandoned toddler

My Teacher, My Obsession
    When Riley changed schools, she didn't expect the girls to crush on her English teacher dad. And he didn't expect a disturbing infatuation.

added

Open water, the worst film ever made. Absolute sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Homelander wrote: »
    They also went on to give it 3/5, acknowledging that its strengths outshine its weaknesses, so to be honest I am not sure how you can call that the perfect synopsis when you yourself said it's "very ****e".....being genuine.

Unfortunately, I put more emphasis on a strong narrative, no point having a great setting etc. when the story is poorly executed. It really offers nothing new or intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Binge watched White House Farm last night. I really enjoyed it well acted dramatisation of a true story .The 80's setting was well evoked too.

Agree, thought it very good and binge worthy. The sensitive and accurate portrayal is down to Colin Caffell's input into the drama.
    It has a real sense of the 1980s. An intriguing story and a very strange crime, I thought.

Just watching the 1st episode of season 2 of Superstore and it looks like it should be apart of season 1.

Major f**kup by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just watching the 1st episode of season 2 of Superstore and it looks like it should be apart of season 1.

Major f**kup by someone.

It's been pointed out here already that that was a once off Olympic special and doesn't belong in sequence.

Caranica wrote: »
    It's been pointed out here already that that was a once off Olympic special and doesn't belong in sequence.

Oh ok I missed that.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oh ok I missed that.

Thanks

In fairness I'd read it and forgotten about it until I was almost finished the episode and it popped back into my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh ok I missed that.

Thanks

I hadn't seen it either, so it was a bit odd seeing them all back at work and someone still very pregnant.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I hadn't seen it either, so it was a bit odd seeing them all back at work and someone still very pregnant.

Yeah it was a couple of nights ago that we watched the finale of season 1 so I was a bit confused and thought they just got over the strike somehow but then copped Cheyenne was still pregnant. Somethings up here.

Funny show all the same.

You vs Wild: Animals on the Loose
    When wild animals escape from a sanctuary, Bear Grylls — and you — must pursue them and secure their protective habitat in this interactive special.

Scarface

Homeland season 8
    CIA analyst Carrie Mathison struggles with mental health and family issues while leading the war against terrorism in this political thriller series.

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
    After a tough breakup with his girlfriend/fellow detective, Joe gets a new lady and partner in crime prevention: his meddlesome mom

The Debt
    A former Mossad intelligence agent is forced to relive her unsuccessful pursuit of a Nazi war criminal when the fugitive reemerges 30 years later.

Bird on a Wire
    An attorney and her former fiancé who's been in the Witness Protection Program since ratting out drug runners go on the run after she blows his cover.

Anna Karenina
    In the 19th century, a beautiful but married Russian aristocrat enters into a forbidden love affair with the well-heeled Count Vronsky.

Bring it On: All or Nothing

Bring It On: In It to Win It.

Paul
    Two sci-fi freaks on a quest to discover what lies at the heart of Nevada's infamous Area 51 cross paths with an alien on the run.

The Little Rascals Save the Day
    Updating the classic 1930s series for a new generation of fans, a mischievous gang of third graders wreaks comedic havoc on their surroundings.

Peter Pan
    When Peter Pan flies into Wendy's home and leads her and her brothers to Neverland, she's more than happy to embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

Along Came Polly

American Graffiti

The Break-Up

O Brother, where art thou?

Van Helsing

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Mamma Mia!

Red Dragon

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Must give scarface a rewatch.

How many times has O Brother Where Art Thou been added? Seems to come and go a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Could have sworn I watched scarface and red dragon on Netflix last year, were they dropped and added again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I rewatch scarface almost for the score alone at this stage. Sublime stuff from Moroder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I can recommend "the debt" with Helen Mitten, and Jessica chastain. Good few years since I saw so definite re watch for me.

Amend: The Fight for America Season 1
    Will Smith hosts this look at the evolving, often lethal, fight for equal rights in America through the lens of the US Constitution's 14th Amendment.

Behind Her Eyes Season 1
    A single mother enters a world of twisted mind games when she begins an affair with her psychiatrist boss while secretly befriending his mysterious wife.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

MeatEater season 4
    Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table

The Meg

The Most Unknown
    Traversing disciplines from physics to psychology, nine scientists share ideas and seek common ground by delving into deep existential questions.

Scandi Wednesday

The Big Day
    A wedding planner gets engaged and looks to her wedding day as an opportunity to promote her new business by getting high-profile guests to attend.

Det store flip
    A 16-year-old moves into a commune with his parents, where people are naked, have open sex and consume lots of weed. His friends are not impressed.

Fluerne på væggen;
    This political thriller inspired by real events features a young director paid to follow Mayor Svend Balder, but his shady methods are dangerous.

Se min kjole
    A road movie about four girls pursuing a new future, all trying to put abuse behind them, through confrontation and forgiveness.

Ulvenatten
    After invading a TV news studio and taking several captives, armed Chechen terrorists demand that the hostage drama be aired all over the whole world.

Unge andersen
    When young H.C. Andersen finds himself sent off to a boarding school, he soon clashes with his stifling tutor -- who also happens to be the principal.

Baba's Cars
    To repay a debt to his lover, a man takes a job to steal car, not realizing that the car belongs to a Russian gangster now bent on revenge.

En folkefiende
    A consumer advocate decides to start a bottled water company, but when he learns that the water may be contaminated, his reputation is on the line.

Key House Mirror
    While caring for her paralyzed husband in a nursing home, a woman yearning for excitement and intimacy develops an affair with a new resident.

and loads more (about 30 more Scandinavian films )

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve watched two episodes of the Cecil hotel and the death of Elisa lam documentary. Now I remember hearing about a young woman been found dead in a water tank but that was it. Firstly, why would anyone stay in that hotel by choice. It’s a dump. Secondly, the internet sleuth crowd that I’ve seen in the first two episodes needs to get a good ride and/or need to get some fresh air. Not everything is a conspiracy theory you idiots. One guy started his YouTube channel based off the video of her in the lift.

Advertisement