Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started watching Teenage Bounty Hunters because of a couple of recommendations here (best thing Netflix has ever made). I'm only a couple of episodes in but still waiting for the magic to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Corvo

Hotel Cecil, an absolute steaming pile of nonsense. First two episodes kept me hooked before it rapidly fell off a cliff. No need for some 4 part documentary, for sure.

Sabotage with Arnie is a decent brain off action flick, will definitely give that a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Corvo wrote: »
    Hotel Cecil, an absolute steaming pile of nonsense. First two episodes kept me hooked before it rapidly fell off a cliff. No need for some 4 part documentary, for sure.

Sabotage with Arnie is a decent brain off action flick, will definitely give that a rewatch.

So should I stop watching it ? As I said I’ve seen two episodes and it’s starting to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Corvo wrote: »

I lost interest half way through ep2. Not gonna bother with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

I turned off Salvation after two episodes, absolute rubbish. Just makes me wonder does Netflix know or even care about viewers abandoning ship on a programme? I guess once you start it, its counted as a view of the whole series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Started watching Teenage Bounty Hunters because of a couple of recommendations here (best thing Netflix has ever made). I'm only a couple of episodes in but still waiting for the magic to happen.
    Yeah, it is what it is. Doesn't take any especially sharp changes of direction or quality. If you don't like the first two episodes, it's just not your kind of thing.

Started Firefly Lane. Seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I turned off Salvation after two episodes, absolute rubbish. Just makes me wonder does Netflix know or even care about viewers abandoning ship on a programme? I guess once you start it, its counted as a view of the whole series?
    Why do you think that? I'd say there's no chance: they'll be counting the minutes. Fall-off in engagement means a potential lost customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

fin12 wrote: »
    Open water, the worst film ever made. Absolute sh*te.

I thought it was terrifying. The fact that it could/did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I finished it last night after recommendations here too,and i thought it was very good not the best thing Netflix has made but decent enough ,pity it didn't get renewed for another season it is a lot better than most stuff Netflix renew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

mikhail wrote: »
    Why do you think that? I'd say there's no chance: they'll be counting the minutes. Fall-off in engagement means a potential lost customer.
    The new definition, stated in a footnote in Netflix’s letter, states that a view means a subscriber “Chose to watch and did watch for at least 2 minutes — long enough to indicate the choice was intentional.” A Netflix spokesman confirmed that the definition means a single two-minute viewing of a single episode would lead to counting that viewing in its accounting of the entire series, and said that the goal was to convey the popularity of a given program instead of its actual viewership.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/netflix-changes-its-view-on-views-which-will-boost-its-numbers-by-35-2020-01-21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

FunLover18 wrote: »

This is just their reporting though. I'd say they have far more detailed stats for internal review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

joe40 wrote: »
    I can recommend "the debt" with Helen Mitten, and Jessica chastain. Good few years since I saw so definite re watch for me.

Excellent. I'll watch that tonight. The Debt. I like those spy/espionage type films.
    I saw a really good film with Helen Mirren few months ago - Eye in the Sky. About using drone attacks in the Middle East. Very intense and gripping. And the more recent one with Keira Knightly, Official Secrets is good - it's more legal based than action. But interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I finished it last night after recommendations here too,and i thought it was very good not the best thing Netflix has made but decent enough ,pity it didn't get renewed for another season it is a lot better than most stuff Netflix renew.
    * best thing netflix has ever made * should always be taken with a grain of salt and that's coming from someone who put TBH into that category when it came up recently.

It probably would have been more apt to say it's possibly my favourite thing they've done as it's a show that aligns with my general taste and one done very well as opposed to some revolutionary show that everybody will like in equal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Corvo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So should I stop watching it ? As I said I’ve seen two episodes and it’s starting to annoy me.
    GBX wrote: »
    I lost interest half way through ep2. Not gonna bother with the rest.

After Ep. 2 it just goes into pure fantasy land when the truth was a whole lot more grounded.

It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone start watching the new reality dating show? It’s way better than too hot to handle

I think the meg is a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Not on Netflix, but you should check out Rubber if you enjoyed The Meg.

A homicidal car tire, discovering it has destructive psionic power, sets its sights on a desert town once a mysterious woman becomes its obsession.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Anyone start watching the new reality dating show? It’s way better than too hot to handle
    What's it called? I really didn't like too hot to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished White House Farm last night, very very good - wouldn't say it was enjoyable given the subject matter but you'll find yourself abandoning other duties in the house to watch the next episode

The last episode contains a bit of a gut punch for the viewer, but it's well done

My only negative was Stephen Graham's ridiculous Welsh accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd been wanting to see this, thought it would be a brainless bit of fun and be so-bad-it's-good

Stuck it on tonight and you're right, it's actually really good :)
    I mean, it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect but it's made really well. And it's very funny in places. Really enjoyed it, thanks for the reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What's it called? I really didn't like too hot to handle.

Anyone figure it out?? Love a bit of reality-cheese-brain melt tv

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

Finished The Office USA last night cant believe it's over was a great watch . any recommendations of other comedy series to watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Laura2021 wrote: »
    Finished The Office USA last night cant believe it's over was a great watch . any recommendations of other comedy series to watch ?

Have you watched schitts creek?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Superstore gets my shout for a bit of silly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Parks and recreation
    Superstore
    The good place
    Friday night dinner

Lots of good comedy shows on netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Parks And Rec.
    Honestly, why have you not already started?
    You're wasting time.

Give it a couple of episodes, it's slow to start. Not as outright funny as Office, but it's got a lot of heart, and better strength in depth in the supporting characters over the seven seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Parks And Rec.
    You're wasting time.

Give it a couple of episodes, it's slow to start. Not as outright funny as Office, but it's got a lot of heart, and better strength in depth in the supporting characters over the seven seasons.

Just finished Parks and Rec. Did a huge binge watch. It went from an underwhelming start to utterly brilliant for me. Highly recommended.

7 seasons in 3 weeks !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Parks And Rec.
    You're wasting time.

I agree...treat yo self!!!

• Advertisement

Tim76 wrote: »
    Not on Netflix, but you should check out Rubber if you enjoyed The Meg.

A homicidal car tire, discovering it has destructive psionic power, sets its sights on a desert town once a mysterious woman becomes its obsession.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I got a notification saying the Meg was on Netflix.

Advertisement