Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

peteeeed wrote: »
    season 2

It’s good from day 1. Scene 1 is actually very funny
    Maybe moreso in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Finished Tribes of Europa.

If nothing else it's the bit of positive cultural propaganda the EU has long been in need of.

I've read reviews about it and they're mixed. I think it's very watchable, likeable characters with interesting enough plots. Some reviewer called the general storyline mundane but I think it tells a good story. Sometimes it's very on the nose but has enough moments that take away from its earnestness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Poldark season 5
    A British soldier returns to Cornwall from the American Revolutionary War and rebuilds his tattered estate, reopens his father's mine and finds love.

added

Coming on april 23rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Finished Tribes of Europa.

If nothing else it's the bit of positive cultural propaganda the EU has long been in need of.

I've read reviews about it and they're mixed. I think it's very watchable, likeable characters with interesting enough plots. Some reviewer called the general storyline mundane but I think it tells a good story. Sometimes it's very on the nose but has enough moments that take away from its earnestness
    It goes from earnest to absolutely nuts from scene to scene which is why i think they purposely made it as a bit of a laugh/camp post apocalyptic show

If you approach it as a bit of fun, it’s very watchable, if you want it to be a realistic and serious interpretation of a post apocalyptic Europe you’ll hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Looking an action or adventure movie to watch this afternoon.

Loud and fun and not too serious. Smart or dumb doesn’t matter.

I spent must of last Saturday afternoon trying to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

"....has fallen" series
    Man on the ledge
    Equaliser
    21 Bridges

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

peteeeed wrote: »
    Coming on april 23rd

Not being familiar with the books, that trailer doesn't really make me want to watch.

guapos wrote: »
    "....has fallen" series
    Man on the ledge
    Equaliser
    21 Bridges

Seen them all except 21 Bridges but looking for something more explodey that that - just like the Has Fallen series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

2012 is on Prime video if you have that. Brainless explosions, I watched it last Saturday and it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Finished Caliphate, really good.

Also done Line of duty, happy valley, Ozark, lupin, Luther, breaking bad, better call Saul.

Any recommendations similar to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

2012 is on Prime video if you have that. Brainless explosions, I watched it last Saturday and it was perfect.

Is you have prime and want to watch a disaster movie like that I would recommend Greenland with Gerard Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The third Johnny English film is quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Also done Line of duty, happy valley, Ozark, lupin, Luther, breaking bad, better call Saul.

Nice list, you could add Unforgotten to it if you haven't seen it yet. Really good show, if a bit slow burning.

Also watching informer at the moment. Another BBC show from a couple of years back with Paddy Considine about a counter terrorism unit and how they get their intelligence.

Worth a watch so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not being familiar with the books, that trailer doesn't really make me want to watch.

I've just read another book by the same author, which started well but kinda ended up as regular urban fantasy with some mild social commentary. I'll give this show a go.

I just watched The Old Guard.

Bloody brilliant. All the heroes given time to be developed, great action scrnes and good old fashioned villains.

Assumed the director was a very experienced action and very surprised to learn this was her first such movie
    Very happy to learn there is a sequel being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I just watched The Old Guard.

Bloody brilliant. All the heroes given time to be developed, great action scrnes and good old fashioned villains.

Assumed the director was a very experienced action and very surprised to learn this was her first such movie
    Very happy to learn there is a sequel being developed.

Just to chime in with a contrary opinion, not that you asked! But my goodness, I found that film to be dreadful. The music was almost the worst part. Totally ill fitting and kept pulling me out of the movie.

But hey, that's part of the fun of films & discussing them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I quite liked The Old Guard as well. Not a perfect film by any stretch, but I think Gina Prince-Brythewood had the right instincts about what aspects of the material to double down on. There’s a humanity to the characters, where the little emotional moments that would be ignored by many directors are given proper space. The direction of the action and set pieces also hammers home the impact of the central gimmick: immortality is a drag, but also quite ghastly and horrifying.

I wouldn’t oversell it, but it’s better than the Netflix norm for sure, and I’d be keen to see a sequel with the same crew on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I quite liked The Old Guard as well. Not a perfect film by any stretch, but I think Gina Prince-Brythewood had the right instincts about what aspects of the material to double down on. There’s a humanity to the characters, where the little emotional moments that would be ignored by many directors are given proper space. The direction of the action and set pieces also hammers home the impact of the central gimmick: immortality is a drag, but also quite ghastly and horrifying.

I wouldn’t oversell it, but it’s better than the Netflix norm for sure, and I’d be keen to see a sequel with the same crew on board.

As someone I know puts stock in the beauty of moving pictures, didn't you find the directing just utterly pedestrian and uninspired, to its detriment? It all felt like a mid 90s pilot episode for a show that never happened, both in story (those flashback scenes felt like something from Xena), and execution. Presumably the dump truck of money that persuaded Theron to headline left nothing for cinematography, locations, or 2nd unit directors. The airplane scuffle was fun, the rest a bit eh. I dunno, I thought it was one of the worse "slushpile script boosted by 1 A Lister" Netflix has produced; something like Project Power worked better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is that Irish film Broken Law any good? Might watch it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I thought it was brutal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Valhala murders, Baptiste, the Forest

All in foreign language but very good imo
    Subbura Blood in Rome is a great show and is on Netflix, though a superior italian underworld drama is available elsewhere called Gomorrah. If you can find it I think you would really enjoy it based on your list above.
    Unforgotten (BBC detective series) is excellent, though not light hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Capone. A movie about the last year in Capone's life after he is released from prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Meg is the perfect Saturday evening family film. All 3 kids, including the teens, stayed in the living room until it finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,676 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Meg is the perfect Saturday evening family film. All 3 kids, including the teens, stayed in the living room until it finished!
    It's cheesy nonsense but yeah it's a perfect saturday evening popcorn flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭billyhead

ArtyM wrote: »
    Valhala murders, Baptiste, the Forest

All in foreign language but very good imo
    Subbura Blood in Rome is a great show and is on Netflix, though a superior italian underworld drama is available elsewhere called Gomorrah. If you can find it I think you would really enjoy it based on your list above.
    Unforgotten (BBC detective series) is excellent, though not light hearted.

Broadchurch season 1@3 are worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was going to watch this the other night but knew I would never set foot in the ocean ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched until John Connors appeared, so don't know

• Advertisement

That is what I was thinking too - just couldn’t get it into words.

Those are the moments that made it great.

Advertisement