Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Outside the wire

50 mins in. I'll just leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The third Johnny English film is quite funny

Yes that is hilarious, especially the nightclub scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Just to chime in with a contrary opinion, not that you asked! But my goodness, I found that film to be dreadful. The music was almost the worst part. Totally ill fitting and kept pulling me out of the movie.

But hey, that's part of the fun of films & discussing them!
    The music....lol....absolutely brutal...but also the "villain" was also fecking awful, and it wasn't just the actor I have seen him in other things and he is normally pretty good.
    It also felt weirdly cheap for such an expensive film.
    If you want to see a good action film with Charlize Theron watch atomic blonde.

Well fans of firefly, I think our next binge watch is Ginny & Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

fin12 wrote: »

Firefly as in Serenity and Summer Glau?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I thought great- Firefly; excellent cult sci-fi series has some sort of TV cousin with a weirdly non-sci fi name :eek::). Then I realised you meant Firefly Lane. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Augme

Lasted half an hour of Capone and that was a struggle. Absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I went and looked it up only to find some mother daughter teen angst , River forever

Yes sorry guys , Firefly lane .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes sorry guys , Firefly lane .

Space western = Good ,other stuff not so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I watched a few eps yesterday! It’s crap, you’ll like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

billyhead wrote: »
    Broadchurch season 1@3 are worth a watch.

I know it’s not on Netflix, but where can I watch Broadchurch?

Wasn’t mad about Firefly Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

which is now on disney plus for any sci fi western fans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Us
    A serene family vacation turns frightening when a family's nightmarish doppelgängers descend upon their beachfront abode.

TIGER & BUNNY season 1 (Manga)
    In an alternate New York City protected by a band of superheroes called NEXT, veteran Wild Tiger is forced to team up with rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr

added

peteeeed wrote: »
    Us
    A serene family vacation turns frightening when a family's nightmarish doppelgängers descend upon their beachfront abode.

TIGER & BUNNY season 1 (Manga)
    In an alternate New York City protected by a band of superheroes called NEXT, veteran Wild Tiger is forced to team up with rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr

added
    Us is excellent I thought much preferred it to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

gmisk wrote: »
    Us is excellent I thought much preferred it to get out

Totally the opposite. Get out was fantastic, Us was hugely overrated and predictable and silly.

Totally the opposite. Get out was fantastic, Us was hugely overrated and predictable and silly.
    I would say the same about get out.

Loved the ambition and madness of Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, that was my take on it too. Get Out had a bit of variety.
    Us had nothing. Was ultimately just a slasher chase film. And could see the ending a mile away.
    To be honest, I don't get the hype that both of them managed to muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A two more from the archive, with the theme being Jake Gyllenhaal.

Nightcralwer (2014) is about a petty criminal who falls into "news" reporting wherein he gets a small camera, rides around LA seeking out car crashes and so on, takes the video and sells them to networks. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Jake Gyllenhaal was fantastic in it. His character was really interesting. In my view, a solid 8/10.

Second is Prisoners (2013) which co-stars Hugh Jackman. It tells the story of two children being abducted, and the father's (Jackman) plot to find them. Both Jake Gyllenhaal and Jackman are superb in this. It was really well shot, and was a thriller through and through. I found myself very invested from Jackman's performance. In an arbitrary rating system, it would take 8/10 also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

After giving blood yesterday I wanted some relatively straightforward films to watch for the evening.

First up I tried Bumblebee on the back of many positive comments in this thread, and...nope. I can see the improvement over the Michael Bay shakycam aesthetic of previous Transformer films, but in terms of script and narrative it was still the same "not so much characters as one or two traits" writing, with a lot of attempted jokes that generally landed like a lead balloon, that I recall from the 2007 Transformers and which led to me not watching any of the sequels. A shame too, as the lead has shown she can do much better when given a chance in The Edge Of Seventeen.

After that, I tried Escape Room (2019) as I missed it when it was first released. Having been a bit let down by some Escape Room themed hoeror filma, this was a pleasant surprise - the puzzles were fairly inventive while still broadly feeling like an escape room, the pace and tension were sustained throughout, and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kingdom season one finished
    Excellent . Highly recommended. Don’t let the MMA theme put you off . It’s only in the background to main story lines

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

km79 wrote: »
    Warrior season one finished
    Excellent . Highly recommended. Don’t let the MMA theme put you off . It’s only in the background to main story lines

Is it anything to do with the film of the same name with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it anything to do with the film of the same name with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton?

Don’t know sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No, Bruce Lee idea about Asian tongs in San Francisco in the 1870's with the Irish being the bad guys :)
    Very good show... but has been cancelled after season 2.... hoping someone picks.it up as it's just too good to be left on the slagheap

Oops sorry it’s actually called Kingdom
    I keep mixing up the titles !

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No, Bruce Lee idea about Asian tongs in San Francisco in the 1870's with the Irish being the bad guys :)
    Very good show... but has been cancelled after season 2.... hoping someone picks.it up as it's just too good to be left on the slagheap
    km79 wrote: »
    Oops sorry it’s actually called Kingdom
    I keep mixing up the titles !

Ah that makes sense now :) For what it's worth the MMA film Warrior, is also on Netflix and is a good watch :D

Ah that makes sense now :) For what it's worth the MMA film Warrior, is also on Netflix and is a good watch :D

That’s what has me confused :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    As someone I know puts stock in the beauty of moving pictures, didn't you find the directing just utterly pedestrian and uninspired, to its detriment? It all felt like a mid 90s pilot episode for a show that never happened, both in story (those flashback scenes felt like something from Xena), and execution. Presumably the dump truck of money that persuaded Theron to headline left nothing for cinematography, locations, or 2nd unit directors. The airplane scuffle was fun, the rest a bit eh. I dunno, I thought it was one of the worse "slushpile script boosted by 1 A Lister" Netflix has produced; something like Project Power worked better for me.

It’s not the most visually striking action film out there, honestly, although I liked some details such as how they handled the ‘resurrection’ stuff with a sort of creepy mundanity. But as I said I think the direction / writing was striking enough in other ways to give it a discernibly different feel and tone to other action movies. That the cast was batting above their weight in many ways added to the film - Ejiofor, Theron and Schoenaerts certainly sell the material much better than random jobbing actors would have.

I’d disagree with the pilot idea. It clearly sets up a sequel or two, but unlike most superhero movies these days there’s a clear, complete story for the main characters as well. They three leads in particular have personal dilemmas and conflict they need to work through, and those are well resolved by the time the credits roll. It IMO manages the tricky balancing act of setting up a sequel without feeling incomplete.

As said, I think it’s a 2.5-3 star film, but that’s compared to 1-2 star fare like Project Power or *shudder* Bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Yeah, Warrior TV series had been on Prime ...was wondering how it went to the darkside :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Any one into the rom com's i've seen a couple of good ones recently and some not as good. 'Set up' it depends, It didn't start off great but ended on a good note I think. Other ones are series 'All the boys that I have loved before' and the 'kissing booth' I thought they were good. The movie 'After' was a bit intense. There is to be another one in the series out on Prime streaming. I think there is 2 or 3 in that series of films.

The 'holidate' if very funny. I watched 'work it' and thought was very good if you into dancing... 'Love guaranteed' was a bit of a strange one'. 'The perfect date' was ok. 'The last summer' was good too. There is one called 'love alarm' its to be out in March seems intriguing. I've a few more lined up aswell to watch. I like something either funny or series but not too mushy!

Advertisement