Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

km79 wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn’t sure about it at first
    But it becomes fairly evident that it just isn’t taking itself too seriously after a few episodes
    Agree with all of the above
    It’s all about Johnny !

Ralph Macchio has not aged well and is not a very good actor :D

Has not aged well? He's nearly 60 and barely looks a day over 45!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched Pacific Rim: The Black. I liked it. More violent than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched Tag - enjoyable enough, a few laugh out loud moments and a lot of nonsense

The Sherlock Holmes-esque scenes with Jeremy Renner are very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Zodiac (2007) was our choice last night. Jake Gyllenhaal & Robert Downey Jr star, along with Mark Ruffalo. It's a solid thriller / detective movie, but the run time is a touch long, and some pretty gruesome scenes. I'm a Gyllenhaal fan so it was always going to be up my alley. RDJ is not an actor I'm particularly fond of. It's directed by the same guy as Seven & he's behind Mindhunter too.

It's a great film, critically acclaimed and on many people's "best" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Basq wrote: »
    Honestly can't remember the last Friday I was looking forward to something new on Netflix! :(

But why does it have to be new?

There's thousands of hours of quality older stuff there too.

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Zodiac (2007) was our choice last night. Jake Gyllenhaal & Robert Downey Jr star, along with Mark Ruffalo. It's a solid thriller / detective movie, but the run time is a touch long, and some pretty gruesome scenes. I'm a Gyllenhaal fan so it was always going to be up my alley. RDJ is not an actor I'm particularly fond of. It's directed by the same guy as Seven & he's behind Mindhunter too.
    Not sure if on Netflix but I'd highly recommend watching Memories of Murder as well. It's Korean, from the director of Parasite and is very similar to Zodiac. Both are great films and anyone who loves Zodiac tends to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

Not sure if on Netflix but I'd highly recommend watching Memories of Murder as well. It's Korean, from the director of Parasite and is very similar to Zodiac. Both are great films and anyone who loves Zodiac tends to love it.

Huh how random. I watched that last night, unfortunately not on Netflix but absolutely fantastic movie. South Kora really does produce some absolute gems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Just finished The Mormon Murders, found it interesting especially seen the people that were interviewed 35 years ago and now being interviewed again.

crushproof wrote: »
    Huh how random. I watched that last night, unfortunately not on Netflix but absolutely fantastic movie. South Kora really does produce some absolute gems

Add Thirst and The Vengeance Trilogy to your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

Trial by fire .excellent and true story,jack O Connell has good presence in everything I have seen him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

Just finished all 3 seasons of the unforgotten. Excellent. If you liked happy Valley you will love this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Didn't really like Behind Her Eyes. I assumed I was watching one genre of TV series and by the end it completely changed direction.

Without spoiling it by the end it felt like a really long episode of a certain popular 90's TV show -
    The X-Files. A show I loved but when watching that you expect paranormal. Would have preferred if BHE stayed more grounded in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Also just finished Unforgotten, and would jiggly recommend it.

Would anyone have anything similar to recommend (apart from Happy Valley)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

tigger123 wrote: »
    Also just finished Unforgotten, and would jiggly recommend it.

Would anyone have anything similar to recommend (apart from Happy Valley)?

The new season is currently airing on itv on Monday nights. I think the 3rd episode is tomorrow night. I'm waiting until it's over to binge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Didn't really like Behind Her Eyes. I assumed I was watching one genre of TV series and by the end it completely changed direction.

Without spoiling it by the end it felt like a really long episode of a certain popular 90's TV show -
    The X-Files. A show I loved but when watching that you expect paranormal. Would have preferred if BHE stayed more grounded in reality

I felt the very same . I dont want to spoil it for others so I wont say much !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's a great film, critically acclaimed and on many people's "best" list.

A lot of people say that The Social Network is Finchers best film but I much prefer Zodiac

I have seen it so many times, it really is an excellent thriller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

brevity wrote: »
    A lot of people say that The Social Network is Finchers best film but I much prefer Zodiac

I have seen it so many times, it really is an excellent thriller.

I think they're both Finchers high point, with only degrees of personal preference splitting the two. Social Network is a better narrative perhaps, with Zodiac a more intriguing puzzle. I know Mank divides, while Alien3 famously studuo interfered, but the man's CV has a consistency that must be the envy of others in the field. Even his "merely entertaining" films like Dragon Tattoo are leaps and bounds above the rest of mainstream Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The new season is currently airing on itv on Monday nights. I think the 3rd episode is tomorrow night. I'm waiting until it's over to binge it.
    I'm watching it live on Monday on itv
    Excellent so far!

Just finished Moxie, it's kind of exactly what I was expecting, really enjoyed it, some cracking music as well really took me back love some riot grrrl music

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Barely touch Netflix but was glued to Behind her Eyes..so can anyone recommend a series similar?similar in suspense but not with a sci fi ending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Barely touch Netflix but was glued to Behind her Eyes..so can anyone recommend a series similar?similar in suspense but not with a sci fi ending...

Safe.
    Valhalla Murders.
    One of Us.
    Top of the Lake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched these over the last few days.

Moxie - It was grand, an easy watch but a bit heavy handed/uneven with its message and nowhere near as good as the likes of Eighth Grade, Booksmart or Edge of Seventeen in terms of female centred coming of age films imo.

The Art of Self Defence - Not as hilarious as the trailer made it look but still very funny in places. Worth a watch if you like your comedies dark.

Hostiles - One that passed me by when it came out but was in the mood for a western so threw it on. Well worth a watch and Christian Bale is great in it. Pretty grim/serious though so not one to watch if you are looking to be cheered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Safe
    Similarly, another one from Harlan Cohen - The Stranger.

Finished Behind Her Eyes this morning.. some of the dodgiest acting I've seen from a Netflix series and the whole
    astral projection
    angle was woeful.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Safe.
    Valhalla Murders.
    One of Us.
    Top of the Lake.
    Another vote for the valhalla murders really gripping and kicks it up a notch in last few episodes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm watching it live on Monday on itv
    Excellent so far!

I belive it's been bumped this week for Oprah

I belive it's been bumped this week for Oprah
    Yep looks like it, on Tuesday instead zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Basq wrote: »
    Finished Behind Her Eyes this morning.. some of the dodgiest acting I've seen from a Netflix series and the whole
    astral projection
    angle was woeful.

Kinda agree. The more I've been thinking about Behind Her Eyes, it reminded me of Lost!

I was kept interested but the ending was like a kick in the stones.

At least BHE only dangled me along for 6 episodes, not 6 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I just finished Call My Agent and loved it! Can anyone recommend any other good French series? I've also watched Lupin which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I just finished Call My Agent and loved it! Can anyone recommend any other good French series? I've also watched Lupin which I really enjoyed.

The bureau (on amazon) is one of the best spy series around. Absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    But why does it have to be new?

There's thousands of hours of quality older stuff there too.

A year ago I couldn't find anything I was interested in watching that I hadn't already seen. Star Trek is the only thing on it I have lined up to watch, there's been incredibly little added over the last year as well.

Advertisement