Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think all we're seeing is the pandemic starting to bite into release volume at this stage. Was always bound to happen, even if there's now a few productions back on track

The bureau (on amazon) is one of the best spy series around. Absolutely fantastic.
    Also A Very Secret Service if looking for something lighter. Don't think that's on streaming services atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think they're both Finchers high point, with only degrees of personal preference splitting the two. Social Network is a better narrative perhaps, with Zodiac a more intriguing puzzle. I know Mank divides, while Alien3 famously studuo interfered, but the man's CV has a consistency that must be the envy of others in the field. Even his "merely entertaining" films like Dragon Tattoo are leaps and bounds above the rest of mainstream Hollywood.

I could never get in into (no pun intended) Panic Room and I tried several times. Just doesn’t do anything for me but I do like The Game. I just love the mystery and the way it builds.

Gone Girl I liked on first watch but on repeat watches I cannot seem to stick with it. Mostly I think because the main characters are ****ing awful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Se7en is a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

brevity wrote: »
    I could never get in into (no pun intended) Panic Room and I tried several times. Just doesn’t do anything for me but I do like The Game. I just love the mystery and the way it builds.

Gone Girl I liked on first watch but on repeat watches I cannot seem to stick with it. Mostly I think because the main characters are ****ing awful people.

That's funny cos I'd speculate nearly all of Finchers characters are awful, seedy or corrupted people. Gone Girl being the apotheosis of this fascination with human grimness. Methinks Fincher is a misanthrope, perhaps not on the shortlist for Paddington 3. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

The Game is the least memorable of his movies for me, and I've seen everything barring Benjamin Button. I quite like Panic Room, which is a tight little thriller. I quite like that opinions on his best and worst films vary: the truth is that the lesser of his movies are still good enough for personal taste to dominate the conversation.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Methinks Fincher is a misanthrope
    I'd like to hear anyone argue otherwise.
    ... perhaps not on the shortlist for Paddington 3. ;)
    I would watch the hell out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

No idea why I’m only watching unforgotton now...two episodes in and hooked!

mikhail wrote: »
    The Game is the least memorable of his movies for me, and I've seen everything barring Benjamin Button. I quite like Panic Room, which is a tight little thriller. I quite like that opinions on his best and worst films vary: the truth is that the lesser of his movies are still good enough for personal taste to dominate the conversation.

I'd like to hear anyone argue otherwise.

I would watch the hell out of that.

Part of me is equally curious, but Paddington 2 was such a beautiful warm, perfect hug of a film the polar opposite might also break me.

David Finchers worst day beats 90% mainstream Hollywood, always hitting a very steady, consistent rate. Though like I said I believe Mank has been divisive. He wouldn't be like, say, Ridley Scott whose highs may be high, but his misses equally spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rfrip wrote: »
    No idea why I’m only watching unforgotton now...two episodes in and hooked!
    Its really excellent.
    The new series on itv at the minute is really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

gmisk wrote: »
    Its really excellent.
    The new series on itv at the minute is really good so far.

I know, I couldn't put the remote down. Watched all 3 seasons in 4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Someone on here recommended Borgen, a Danish political series.

It's very good, 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, and there are plans for a 4th season.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Someone on here recommended Borgen, a Danish political series.

It's very good, 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, and there are plans for a 4th season.
    Highly recommended.

Is it subtitled or dubbed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Finished Lupin, enjoyable enough.

Finished Valhalla Murders too. Very good, got better as the episodes went on,

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Finished Lupin, enjoyable enough.

Finished Valhalla Murders too. Very good, got better as the episodes went on,
    Totally agree on valhalla, really excellent.
    The last two episodes especially went at a bit of a clip, really gripping.
    The main lady from it is in trapped, which imo is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Is it subtitled or dubbed?
    Whatever you want.
    Option of dubbing or watching it in Danish/German/Polish/French/ english with subtitles in whatever language (of these) you'd prefer.
    Dubbing in english, with english subtitles, however, is very frustrating.

But it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Decline... I really liked this French Canadian movie about a group of survivalist wannabes attending a training camp in secret remote location deep in the wilderness in Montreal but after a freak accident, everything starts to go pear shaped.

It's available with subtitles or dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A lot of people say that The Social Network is Finchers best film but I much prefer Zodiac

I have seen it so many times, it really is an excellent thriller.

Both are terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm loving Superstore too :)

I'm just starting season 4... very easy to binge-watch :p

I also found this article via twitter on how they approached COVID-19 in real time, which I thought was interesting (... also the article contains some spoilers... be warned :pac: )

I think we only have up until season 5 on Netflix, wherein this is addressed in the newest, current season (season 6).

Third fourth or fifth this superstore is very good I have to say, Dina steals the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

gmisk wrote: »
    Totally agree on valhalla, really excellent.
    The last two episodes especially went at a bit of a clip, really gripping.
    The main lady from it is in trapped, which imo is even better.

Is Trapped available anywhere to watch at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bombay Begums
    From boardrooms to society's margins, five ambitious women from various walks of life navigate dreams, desires and disappointments in modern Mumbai.

Bombay Rose
    Amidst the bustle of a magnetic and multifaceted city, the budding love between two dreamers is tested.

added

• Advertisement

I think it's on amazon prime

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Prime. Definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Finding Trial by Fire like a made for tv movie.Had to pause in the middle of it and not sure I can be bothered finishing it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Probably never would have touched these as i am not into hip hop at all but after 1 year solitary confinement you ll watch anything and some of it is surprisingly good

Hip hop evolution (4 seasons)
    Unsolved; the murders of Tupac and notorious big

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

inforfun wrote: »
    Probably never would have touched these as i am not into hip hop at all but after 1 year solitary confinement you ll watch anything and some of it is surprisingly good

Hip hop evolution (4 seasons)
    Unsolved; the murders of Tupac and notorious big
    If you're enjoying going down that rabbit hole I would strongly recommend The Defiant Ones if you haven't watched it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The new season is currently airing on itv on Monday nights. I think the 3rd episode is tomorrow night. I'm waiting until it's over to binge it.

Currently bingeing on this - was recommended by a friend. It's really good! It's gone from Netlix though on 30th March :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Moxie. It's not a good movie and it's extraordinarily heavy handed. I'd have major issues with
    the accusation aired in public at the end against the main antagonist - can't be bothered to google his name - that is completely taken at face value and leads to his expulsion from the looks of it.

And for a film all about girls supporting girls, they never seem to actually go and watch the girls play their soccer games. They just bitch about them not getting the recognition they deserve while sitting in the stands watching the boys play football when the girls get back from their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote: »

This is the original film right? Or are they releasing a new project

• Advertisement

Shrek is a weird movie, in that it was arguably born (AFAIK) from Jeffrey Katzenberg wanting to give Disney the middle finger. The first was kinda fun in skewering fairy tale tropes but found the sequels almost unwatchable in places. Real ugly animation too, regardless of the era.

Advertisement