Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Just finished Don’t F*$k with Cats . Can't recommend it enough, Netflix really killed it with this true crime documentary. The story just got crazier and crazier, had to take a step back at one point and think to myself 'wow this sh*t really goes down in this world we live in.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have just finished The Two Popes.
    Fantastic film, excellent performances from both Pryce and Hopkins, would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I really liked the death of stalin. It puts a very human (and humorous) take on the events surrounding the death of stalin. It’s not 100% historically accurate, but a totally plausible take on what Stalins inner circle must have felt when he suddenly died. It’s bizarrely funny and horrifying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Have just finished The Two Popes.
    Fantastic film, excellent performances from both Pryce and Hopkins, would definitely recommend it.
    I was thinking of showing that to my father over Christmas. He's pretty old-school and wouldn't like it if it was critical of the church. How soft-focus is it on the child molestation and financial scandals of the Ratizinger* era?

*What was his superhero name, Pope Benedict the somethingth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

NIMAN wrote: »
    Disagree with you there.

I admire all these guys who climb, but don't think you can compare the 2 feats, as great as they both were. One had 2 guys who uses ropes and had each other for support, who took what, 19 days?, to climb, whereas the other was one guy speed climbing with no ropes and could have fallen to his death at any time.

2 great shows for sure, both worth watching.

Have you seen Valley Uprising? Also good, shows all the history of the park.

Haven't seen Valley uprising, will definitely check it out.

You're right, you can't compare them. They're both astounding feats in their own right.

in terms of the dawn wall, Every single pitch is a feat of climbing in itself. it took them 19 days, that's how hard it was, because every pitch was undoable just on its own. I'm pretty sure that the easiest pitch on the dawn face was above in grade to the hardest pitch on Freerider which is the route Honold took. It's the hardest climb ever done!Also, the human aspect in the dawn wall is amazing and gripping.

I'm certainly not taking away from Honold, what he did was simply unbelievable also, who as it happens was at the top of El Cap when Tommy got there and apparently, that's when he started thinking of what his "dawn wall" could be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Just finished Don’t F*$k with Cats . Can't recommend it enough, Netflix really killed it with this true crime documentary. The story just got crazier and crazier, had to take a step back at one point and think to myself 'wow this sh*t really goes down in this world we live in.'

I stopped halfway through to Google if it was a "mockumentary" or real....... it's actually all true! Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I stopped halfway through to Google if it was a "mockumentary" or real....... it's actually all true! Highly recommended.

Definitely worth a watch.

Only negatives for me were the 2 internet 'sleuths'. A bit annoying, especially the woman. Two of them love the f word.

And it could have been edited a bit better, but thats the way of these shows now, drag it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Definitely worth a watch.

Only negatives for me were the 2 internet 'sleuths'. A bit annoying, especially the woman. Two of them love the f word.

And it could have been edited a bit better, but thats the way of these shows now, drag it all out.

Those 2 were a little strange and annoying at times but I think I enjoyed the different perspective. There's tons of crime documentaries nowadays that are very tedious and familiar so I think they did a very good job at making this one stand out from the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Those 2 were a little strange and annoying at times but I think I enjoyed the different perspective. There's tons of crime documentaries nowadays that are very tedious and familiar so I think they did a very good job at making this one stand out from the rest

I finished it 5 mins ago and there was a line between them in the cafe at the end that summed them up.

She says "I don't think I would have done this without you"
    He says, "no don't think you would have".
    She says, "don't think you would have done it without me"
    His reply, "oh yes I would have".

They both appear full of their own importance in the film, and this line shows that they are as fame hungry as the next person on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There’s a few things I don’t get about Don’t f*ck with cats,
    why didn’t the French police arrest him at the airport and failing that why didn’t they arrest him straight away at the hotel, instead they made some bull**** excuse that he didn’t sleep at the hotel
    Also in the videos he made there was def another person present when he was filming killing the kittens with the Hoover and the one with the python, there was another hand shown in the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Two Popes

Enjoyed it but

In the right directors hands this could have been a masterpiece

Just the two of them in Castel Gandolfo would have been enough

Hopkins brilliant as always co star not so good

Missed opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Home for Christmas - A Norwegian series of 6 eps of only half an hour each.
    I was very sceptical, because I don't like cheesy, syrupy tv shows.
    Both husband and I loved it. It is witty, funny with a good script and acting.
    Best is to watch it in the original language with subtitles, if not you'll miss the lovely 'bibibidibabidi' sounds of the scandi language.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

mikhail wrote: »
    I was thinking of showing that to my father over Christmas. He's pretty old-school and wouldn't like it if it was critical of the church. How soft-focus is it on the child molestation and financial scandals of the Ratizinger* era?

*What was his superhero name, Pope Benedict the somethingth?

I don't have a religious cell in my body, and was fascinated by the background to elections etc...
    It only really mentioned abuse in one instance, and not in great detail.
    I really would find it hard to see how anyone would be offended by it.

(Now if you were planning on showing your dad Spotlight, I'd shout "Don't ", as brilliant as it is.)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Home for Christmas - A Norwegian series of 6 eps of only half an hour each.
    I was very sceptical, because I don't like cheesy, syrupy tv shows.
    Both husband and I loved it. It is witty, funny with a good script and acting.
    Best is to watch it in the original language with subtitles, if not you'll miss the lovely 'bibibidibabidi' sounds of the scandi language.

I always find it funny how they'll be mid flow with the "bibibidibabidi" and then randomly throw in some English words. I don't know if there's just some things there's no Norwegian word for or it's just because the world is so connected now that some things just travel the world in one language.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I always find it funny how they'll be mid flow with the "bibibidibabidi" and then randomly throw in some English words. I don't know if there's just some things there's no Norwegian word for or it's just because the world is so connected now that some things just travel the world in one language.

:D They do throw in English words, but I can also reasonably understand and recognise words from my own language - which is Flemish (Dutch), even whole sentences. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Same with people speaking as gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Two Popes

Thumbs up from me. Excellent all around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I finished it 5 mins ago and there was a line between them in the cafe at the end that summed them up.

She says "I don't think I would have done this without you"
    He says, "no don't think you would have".
    She says, "don't think you would have done it without me"
    His reply, "oh yes I would have".

They both appear full of their own importance in the film, and this line shows that they are as fame hungry as the next person on the internet.

I found it to be very disturbing that they were totally unaffected by the fact that their group witch hunt resulted in a suicide, which they decided to attribute to mental health issues, and also that they more than likely fed the murderers ego to the point of what he did.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    sadly i don't think you can legally. nowtv doesn't have it which is crap as they have loads of other concluded hbo shows.:mad:

HBO series :)
    The one with justin thereoux, carrie coon ,,,christopher ecclestone and liv tyler who is actually really good.:o

incredible show.

I thought it was fairly poor. Adds layer after layer of mysterious nonsense. I'm afraid to stick with Watchmen for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I found it to be very disturbing that they were totally unaffected by the fact that their group witch hunt resulted in a suicide, which they decided to attribute to mental health issues, and also that they more than likely fed the murderers ego to the point of what he did.

Was it not the biker crowd who doxed the guy in Nambia? The ones being followed for the doc were saying they didn't think it was him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was thinking the same.

I see them as codependent types who were feeding a massive narcissist.

I thought it was fairly poor. Adds layer after layer of mysterious nonsense. I'm afraid to stick with Watchmen for the same reason.

I was really interested in the premise but was pretty disappointed after season 1 and just didn't bother with it for season 2 and then only a couple of months ago a friend brought it up and really urged me to go back to it as he said season 2 and 3 were much better and they were! Delighted he made me go back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Lost in Space: Season 2
    Netflix’s reboot of the 60s classic sci-fi is set 30 years in the future, when colonisation in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world. But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home, they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, lightyears from their original destination.

Fighting with My Family
    Raised in a feisty English wrestling family, scrappy Saraya must train hard and pay her dues to get her big break as a pro wrestler in the WWE.

John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch
    John Mulaney’s old-fashioned kids’ special aims to recapture the magic of the bygone TV era when children sang songs about their feelings with celebrity guests on funky outdoor sets. The result? John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch, including appearances from David Byrne, Andre De Shields, Natasha Lyonne, Annaleigh Ashford, Shereen Pimentel, Richard Kind and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Terrace House: Tokyo 2019-2020: Part 2 – 24th December
    Netflix’s charming, compelling and surprisingly calm answer to Love Island returns, as we catch up with the young residents of its latest reality TV home in Japan.

Carole & Tuesday: Part 2
    Part-timer Carole meets rich girl Tuesday and each realises they’ve found the musical partner they need.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    Fighting with My Family
    Raised in a feisty English wrestling family, scrappy Saraya must train hard and pay her dues to get her big break as a pro wrestler in the WWE

This looks like great fun, looking forward to watching it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

This looks like great fun, looking forward to watching it :)

i saw it on a flight to Canada a couple of months ago and enjoyed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Lost in Space: Season 2
    Netflix’s reboot of the 60s classic sci-fi is set 30 years in the future, when colonisation in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world. But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home, they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, lightyears from their original destination.

d

An underrated show, very enjoyable slice of old school adventure. In space!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    An underrated show, very enjoyable slice of old school adventure. In space!

Yep. Also loved season 1. Not only is it great fun, but was one of the best looking shows of last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s a few things I don’t get about Don’t f*ck with cats,

Also in the videos he made there was def another person present when he was filming killing the kittens with the Hoover and the one with the python, there was another hand shown in the video

https://twitter.com/deanna_thompson/status/1207684121750716416?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It was a good watch, I just couldn't believe the naivety of his poor mother though! Believing her little darling's bullcrap to the end. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It was a good watch, I just couldn't believe the naivety of his poor mother though! Believing her little darling's bullcrap to the end. :rolleyes:
    He claims she abused him as a child, and locked his pet rabbit outside to freeze to death. It's on his wikipedia page. I know he hardly is a credible source, but personally I'd take some convincing that she isn't a psycho even without reading that. My inner psychodar was beeping very loudly when she was on the screen.

Advertisement