Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    What a soundtrack. Good movie too

I remember watching this in my (Catholic) secondary school for "Religion*" of all classes - with the nude scenes and all. Absolutely brilliant soundtrack. Still have it on now and then.

* In senior cycle, our Religion classes were much broader than that (evidently) and encompassed retreats, different talks etc. It wasn't an exam subject in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »
    Into the Wild
    A young man gives up everything -- including his trust fund and ties to a seemingly stable family -- to lead a solitary life in the wild.
    God, I hated that movie. I found the lead so smug that I couldn't feel an ounce of sympathy when he blundered into trouble. It's like Grizzly Man except it is convinced the protagonist is a hero of American independence and self-sufficiently instead of a fool who had no idea what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Watched Norwegian series Borderliner over the last 2 nights. Found it addictive and tense! Hope theres a second series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mikhail wrote: »
    God, I hated that movie. I found the lead so smug that I couldn't feel an ounce of sympathy when he blundered into trouble. It's like Grizzly Man except it is convinced the protagonist is a hero of American independence and self-sufficiently instead of a fool who had no idea what he was doing.

Same. I remember thinking his life wasn't that bad that he needed to abandon it completely, and he was kind of selfish too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's worth reading the book, gives a more balanced look at what happened. I loved the film when I first watched it but it's definitely the rose tinted view of the events and as I get older I can relate to what he did less and less.

Funnily enough they actually removed the Bus last year because too many inexperienced people were putting themselves into danger hiking out to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

mikhail wrote: »

been a long time since I watched it, but I remember not being too unhappy about the outcome. Will give it a rewatch thou. Remembered loving the sound track

Yep the book is definitely worth reading, it details the sheer arrogance of his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Into the Wild - i like the movie - LOVE the music.

Strange to hear people "not being too unhappy about the outcome" of a 24yr old
    dying along from starvation in a
    bus in the wilderness?!?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Yep the book is definitely worth reading, it details the sheer arrogance of his behaviour.

arrogance? or naive?

I think the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

greenspurs wrote: »
    Into the Wild - i like the movie - LOVE the music.

Strange to hear people "not being too unhappy about the outcome" of a 24yr old
    dying along from starvation in a
    bus in the wilderness?!?!

sorry , sort of sounds worse than I meant. Just thought he was silly and cocky (in the film) , and only commenting from a point of view of watching the film and how he was portrayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

I dont get the negative comments about into the wild, aimed particularly at Chris mcCandles. To me watching that film, I felt inspired. His ideology was a good one, his only mistake was that he was unprepared and that was his undoing. I recently discovered a guy on youtube who's built his own cabin in the wilderness. He hunts, fishes and grows his own food. It's about self reliance and him and his dog seem to love that life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Into the wild is all about the music..the story is secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've never watched Into the Wild. I might pair it with Nomadland (coming to Disney+) as a double bill next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

The Sisters Brothers
    Get on these siblings’ wavelength and you’ll be rewarded with an enjoyably unusual Western.

Is this worth a watch - seeing some mixed reviews?

Same. I remember thinking his life wasn't that bad that he needed to abandon it completely, and he was kind of selfish too.

Do you know the way his family life was ??

If you did, youd probably understand a bit more ....

Do you know the way his family life was ??

If you did, youd probably understand a bit more ....

I've read the stuff his sister has said since, but from what's in the film, made 7 years before
    her book, which is what we're discussing, he just came across as a bit selfish and not very sympathetic.

I've read the stuff his sister has said since, but from what's in the film, made 7 years before
    her book, which is what we're discussing, he just came across as a bit selfish and not very sympathetic.

thats his life. Its a real life story, you do realise it ?
    Just because his tumultuous family life wasnt really mentioned in the movie, doesnt mean it didnt happen, and it didnt affect the lad....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Neither here nor there, but I'd have more sympathy for McCandless than I would for Timothy Treadwell.

I enjoyed Into the wild. Interesting story, beautiful scenery and a great soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Neither here nor there, but I'd have more sympathy for McCandless than I would for Timothy Treadwell.

Timothy Treadwell was an unhinged tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

thats his life. Its a real life story, you do realise it ?
    Just because his tumultuous family life wasnt really mentioned in the movie, doesnt mean it didnt happen, and it didnt affect the lad....

They're talking about the movie though, if his tumultuous family life isnt in the movie, you can't really expect people to sympathise with him. Sure they sympathise with him after if they read up on it not everyone is going to and so it's a fairly reasonable criticism to say that the movie didn't do enough to make you sympathise with or understand his motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm really enjoying Tribes of Europa. 3 of 6 watched

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They're talking about the movie though, if his tumultuous family life isnt in the movie, you can't really expect people to sympathise with him. Sure they sympathise with him after if they read up on it not everyone is going to and so it's a fairly reasonable criticism to say that the movie didn't do enough to make you sympathise with or understand his motivations.

Exactly. The film came out in 2007, and I watched it in 2012. As far as I know his sister's book, outlining abuse, came out in 2014. None of that, as far as I recall, is included in the film. His parents just came across like not very nice, and it played out like he could have just cut them out of his life without abandoning his sister too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

brevity wrote: »

I enjoyed the Sisters Brothers. Nothing spectacular but worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The Sisters Brothers
    Get on these siblings’ wavelength and you’ll be rewarded with an enjoyably unusual Western.
    brevity wrote: »

It is enjoyable (and a very faithful adaptation of the book), with lots of quirky takes on the violent history of the shaping of America- using much matter-of-factness about the violence.
    There is a depth to the sense of fractured fraternity that's explored, but it does get a bit lost in the parallel of raw capitalism and human nature in the ‘red in tooth and claw’ struggle of 1851 America. Really good performances all round.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched She Dies Tomorrow, having seen a trailer for it sometime last year. It's an odd film, as much about mood as narrative, but I quite enjoyed it. It is coherent in its presentation, and uses simple but very effective effects to illustrate the spread of infection from one person to the next, so while the narrative is fragmented and not entirely linear it's not too difficult to follow. It put me in mind of It Follows, The Neon Demon and Under The Silver Lake (all of which I enjoyed a lot and would happily rewatch), so if you like those films it's worth taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Barna77 wrote: »
    As much as I love the book, that's one movie I can't watch again because of one scene... :eek:

In the original or the remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God unforgotton is brilliant! On to season 3 I go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah, just waiting on good news about Hey Duggee now!

Hey Duggee is one I’m my favourites, nevermind the monster. Don’t tell me they’re scrapping that now? :(

We find a really cute Irish cartoon called Puffin Rock last week. Chris O’Dowd narrates it. It’s gone down a storm in our house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

L'prof wrote: »
    Hey Duggee is one I’m my favourites, nevermind the monster. Don’t tell me they’re scrapping that now? :(

We find a really cute Irish cartoon called Puffin Rock last week. Chris O’Dowd narrates it. It’s gone down a storm in our house
    Yeah Puffin Rock and Hey Duggee are both great. Pocoyo is another good one for toddlers that is enjoyable for adults. Its first season is narrated by Stephen Fry. Octonauts is also really good and has an educational angle like Puffin Rock.

Advertisement