Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Masala wrote: »
    Someone give me a good Scandinavia/ Icelandic recommendation.

Watched Valhalla Murders and just finished Trapped over on Prime. Both excellent

So am at loose end tonight as to what to start!!!

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but I really enjoyed Norwegian crime drama 'Borderliner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Nun (2018)
    A young nun travels with a priest to Romania to uncover the secrets behind a malevolent spirit haunting a sacred site.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Marcella and Happy Valley are excellent shows, The Stranger doesn't even belong in the same house as those two, never mind the same room

It is utterly ridiculous, diabolically acted horse sh1t

+1 the stranger is absolute garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I enjoyed the stranger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Rfrip wrote: »
    I enjoyed the stranger :)

So did I , we all have differnt tastes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Nun (2018)
    A young nun travels with a priest to Romania to uncover the secrets behind a malevolent spirit haunting a sacred site.

added

Woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

+1 the stranger is absolute garbage

Yes, after the 1st episode, I found it hard to watch. Waste of time.

The other 2 are great though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Marcella and Happy Valley are excellent shows, The Stranger doesn't even belong in the same house as those two, never mind the same room

It is utterly ridiculous, diabolically acted horse sh1t

I loved Happy Valley really enjoyed it. If Marcella is as good it must be worth a watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Really enjoyed White House Farm. Struggling to get much to watch on Netflix atm though.

Is it a running theme that nearly every Netflix original is rubbish? Vast majority of stuff I've enjoyed has not been Netflix made. Despite their massive budget.

You'd wonder could this been an issue going forward for them as they keep increasing prices and now clamp down on password sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Really enjoyed White House Farm. Struggling to get much to watch on Netflix atm though.

Is it a running theme that nearly every Netflix original is rubbish? Vast majority of stuff I've enjoyed has not been Netflix made. Despite their massive budget.

You'd wonder could this been an issue going forward for them as they keep increasing prices and now clamp down on password sharing.

Almost as rule, I'll skip over any Netflix Original film. There are some limited exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

I watched the News of the World last night, excellent film. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

I think Covid is really affecting the originals at the moment but honestly, with the non-English options out there, I feel like I have a lifetime of options ahead! Currently on a Korean Drama kick, it's definitely a bit more dramatic than standard fare but I've enjoyed
    Stranger (a police drama), The Uncanny Counters (a bit of a supernatural drama) and Signal (police drama with Sci fi twist) over the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Umbrella Academy season 1 was a netflux original and that's some of my favourite TV ever. Sex Education, Atypical, Ajin, Dirk Gemtly are all great as well. Lots others.

High production values coupled with a lot of padding and sometimes a sense of things being taken more aeriously than they should be characterises a lot of their stuff though.

Disney+ have raised the bar a bit with the overall quality of tgeor original content. But it's not really the same context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All services have been affected by CoVid, nearly every major production halted or amended in some way. Netflix has just finally dried up a little. Disney+ had a benefit in having finished some big ticket items before the pandemic really hit hard, though AFAIK Wandavision required amendments to it's finale cos of CoVid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m in the mood for a movie like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs or The Bone Collector.

Any recommendations?

Doesn’t have to be serial killers though. A murder mystery would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Fincher has a few more serial killer movies: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Zodiak, even his series Mindhunter is on netflix (cancelled without resolution, so be forewarned). None of the other Harris adaptations are quite up there, but I quite like Manhunter. It's a little of its time, but it's by the director of Heat.

mikhail wrote: »
    Fincher has a few more serial killer movies: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Zodiak, even his series Mindhunter is on netflix (cancelled without resolution, so be forewarned). None of the other Harris adaptations are quite up there, but I quite like Manhunter. It's a little of its time, but it's by the director of Heat.

Thanks

I have seen Zodiac and all the Lectur movies. I have been wanting to get back to reading Dragon Tattoo for a long time.

I’m going to try Disappearance at Clifton Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Art of Self Defense.

Cobra Kai meets Fight Club.

Black Ink Crew New York seasons 1&2
    At a Black-owned-and-operated hotspot for ink in Harlem, tattoo king Ceaser looks to expand his empire while working with a rambunctious crew.

Leaving Neverland
    Two men tell their story of childhood sexual abuse in this two-part documentary detailing allegations against Michael Jackson.

The Longest Yard (adam sandler version)
    While doing time, a professional quarterback persuades a fellow convict and former coach to prepare a group of inmates for a game against the guards.

The Lost Pirate Kingdom season 1
    The real-life pirates of the Caribbean violently plunder the world's riches and form a surprisingly egalitarian republic in this documentary series

The Switch
    Still single and worried about her biological clock, 30-something Kassie decides to pursue motherhood with the help of a sperm donor

Zero Chill
    Talented teen figure skater Kayla is forced to leave everything behind when her family follows her twin brother, Mac, to a prestigious hockey academy.

added

I was just browsing and on a movie called Coven of Sister there is a message that “Full English Dubs Coming 1 April”

I haven’t seen that message before.

Does it mean that the original Spanish audio track is going to be replaced ? Or does it just mean a new audio track will be added (and that the new dub will be the default)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I was just browsing and on a movie called Coven of Sister there is a message that “Full English Dubs Coming 1 April”

Does it mean that the original Spanish audio track is going to be replaced ? Or does it just mean a new audio track will be added (and that the new dub will be the default)

Or does it mean that the Dubs are in fact English and that is why the rest of the country calls them Jackeens? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tim76 wrote: »
    Or does it mean that the Dubs are in fact English and that is why the rest of the country calls them Jackeens? :p
    Ah, that's just old jealousy about the running water, two story buildings, and dysentery in the city. Hell, most modern dubs are descended from the same muck savages who first applied the label before moving there for work and electricity.

Generally that means you'll have the option of switching to the dubbed version. Shows like Dark or Lupin have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Bigflo et Oli: Manchester had the Gallagher brothers and Toulouse have Bigflo et Oli frere a pass the music movie on a sibling relationship. The film ended on a high gig at paris and Bigflo going to Japan...

I really like Disappearance at Clifton Hill

I’m in the the mood for a movie with good fight scenes but not necessarily martial arts.

Maybe something with brutal fisticuffs or realistic martial arts.

Blinded by the Light
    After discovering the music of Bruce Springsteen, a Pakistani British teenager begins to understand his identity, his culture and the world at large.

RebellComedy: Straight Outta the Zoo
    The comics of RebellComedy take the stage and tackle mistaken identities, geriatric influencers, our flawed perceptions of animals and more.

Waffles + Mochi Season 1
    Curious puppet pals Waffles and Mochi travel the world exploring the wonders of food and culture while learning how to cook with fresh ingredients.

added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    Blinded by the Light
    After discovering the music of Bruce Springsteen, a Pakistani British teenager begins to understand his identity, his culture and the world at large.

This is a nice watch. The music is inserted into the film in varying degress of success, but the soundtrack is great, as you'd expect, and it's a nice little watch if you're not in the mood for anything too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal
    Reenactments drive this documentary investigating the mastermind behind a scam to get the kids of rich and famous families into top US universities.

Under Suspicion: Uncovering the Wesphael Case
    This docuseries follows the high-profile case of Belgian politician Bernard Wesphael, who was accused of murdering his wife in 2013.

Simply Black
    While organizing a protest, Jean-Pascal Zadi looks at racial discrimination and his identity as a French Black man through a satirical lens.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoyed Baptiste.

Excellent fare.

Advertisement