Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    I see Greta has been added.
    It is seriously OTT and rather camp, not a patch on other fairly recent Isabelle Huppert films (e.g. Elle).
    But is a lot fun, I can see it getting a cult following

Filmed in Dublin, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Filmed in Dublin, I believe.
    It was indeed and an Irish director as well Neil Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi all
    can anyone recommend a good sci fi for tonight ?

Edge of tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

billyhead wrote: »
    Edge of tomorrow

not showing on my Netflik ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

dublin49 wrote: »
    Think it's jumped to Amazon Prime Video. The joys of online subscription streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
    On the run from bullies, a group of trick-or-treating teenagers hide in a local haunted house and discover a trove of chilling tales unfolding within.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

'Into the Inferno' has some wonderfully shot volcano sequences overlaid with Werner Herzog pronouncing the word 'magma' at regular intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

I've never seen Tim Allen's Last Man Standing before. It would be great if it was on Netflix. He's back with his old pal Al from Home Improvements doing a DIY show on History on Thursday called Assembly Required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's made by the same crowd who made Cowspiracy. More of the same propaganda.

Seaspiracy is propagandist nonsense. My marine biologist wife nearly lost the plot watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

dublin49 wrote: »

Its also called "Live,Die,Repeat"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Seaspiracy is propagandist nonsense. My marine biologist wife nearly lost the plot watching it!

Wow, interesting! What are it's most contentious claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

another shout for Informer (BBC) with Paddy Considine

REALLY good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Yeah, I'd be interested to know what really got on the Marine Biologist's nerves.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Enjoyed 'The Break' over the past few nights..... Belgian thriller. Recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Ordinary People (Philippines). It started off promising but ended terribly. Its about a teenage couple living rough on the streets of Manila whilst trying to raise their very young baby.

Probably better off avoiding because of the ending that didn't really arrive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Probably that there's no such thing as sustainable fishing, and that the MSC is funded by the fishing industry and not an independent, not for profit, organisation co-founded by the WWF.

Or the fact that all the "conspiracies" are things that are widely known and have been for years to anyone who has even the mildest interest in conservation.

Do a quick search on twitter and you'll find multiple marine and conservation scientists and organisations pointing out the many problems with this documentary. Most are of the opinion that it will do more harm than good.

It did, at least, point out the ridiculous obsession with banning plastic straws.

The idea that everyone should be vegan and that it's a one size fits all solution to everything is incorrect, and also a very privileged, and usually white, stance to take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Omg I’m just watching Bad trip, it’s hilarious...

Hidden camera style show.

Or the fact that all the "conspiracies" are things that are widely known and have been for years to anyone who has even the mildest interest in conservation.
    This is the major criticism I saw and the main reason I won't be giving it a watch. Trying to engineer some conspiracy that doesn't exist is disingenuous. Yes, there are major problems to be tackled but the are already organisations looking at making change.

There are also a number of older documentaries that touch on some of this content which are not as sensationalist.

fin12 wrote: »
    Omg I’m just watching Bad trip, it’s hilarious...

Hidden camera style show.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I think simply calling it a "hidden camera style show" does it a disservice.

Mix a hidden camera show with a by the numbers modern road trip movie with all the usual tropes and you get this bizarre result that adds up to something greater than the sum of its parts. It's a little hit and miss but there are some really impressive moments that are unlike anything I've seen before.

Octonauts & the Ring of Fire
    When red-hot volcanoes start a chain reaction of disasters across the ocean, the Octonauts must work together to face their biggest challenge yet.

added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah, I'd be interested to know what really got on the Marine Biologist's nerves.

Her job is literally to manage monitor and manage fish stocks in Ireland and the EU. The film makes the claim that sustainable fishing is not possible as fish stocks get too low. This is a blatant lie! The entire premise of the film is wrong. She works everyday on how to replenish fish stocks in certain areas, something that happens all the time.

the film basically said she can't do her job!

It was made a 27 year old with a massive chip on their shoulder. It's nonsense.

Here's a quick article on it here, I'm sure there's loads more:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/seaspiracy-netflix-marines-true-story-b1824038.html

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like it's in a similar vein to that Planet of the Humans tripe that came out last year. Will be avoiding like the plague.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I think simply calling it a "hidden camera style show" does it a disservice.

Mix a hidden camera show with a by the numbers modern road trip movie with all the usual tropes and you get this bizarre result that adds up to something greater than the sum of its parts. It's a little hit and miss but there are some really impressive moments that are unlike anything I've seen before.

I really loved it, it didn't always work but I thought when it did it was great. Think it worked far better than the new Borat. Plus Andre is a naturally generic looking person so he managed to catch loads of people.

S.M.B. wrote: »

Yes I know that it’s more than a hidden camera show , I was pretty tired it was 1am when I posted so I just didn’t elaborate.

Yes I know it’s more than a hidden camera show , I was pretty tired it was 1am when I posted so I just didn’t elaborate.

I just wanted to stick a quick post up about it

I really loved it, it didn't always work but I thought when it did it was great. Think it worked far better than the new Borat. Plus Andre is a naturally generic looking person so he managed to catch loads of people.

Oh where can u watch the new borat ? Is it on prime ?

Oh where can u watch the new borat ? Is it on prime ?

Yep it's on prime

Yes I know that it’s more than a hidden camera show , I was pretty tired it was 1am when I posted so I just didn’t elaborate.
    Apologies if it came across like I was having a go at your post, my wording could have been better.

I wanted just to highlight to others that it is doing something quite different with the format, even when compared to the likes of Borat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

recently viewed

The Break - dreary Belgium Crime drama - wouldn't recommend,

The block Island Sound - low key Sc fi mystery drama ,decent effort.

Advertisement