Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Basq wrote: »
    Presume they've gotten mixed up with Octavia Spencer..

I was more offended by Melissa McCarthy, she's excellent in Spy and basically anything that doesn't involve her husband but the Falcone films she makes are all utter garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

peteeeed wrote: »
    A Star Is Born (2018 version)
    When an aspiring singer develops a passionate relationship with a seasoned musician, her career begins to soar as his vices trigger a downward spiral.

added

This is why Netflix really needs to add a "hell no" option to mark stuff I'll never watch. Utter drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just finished Bad Trip.

Really enjoyed it. Mix of scripted movie and hidden camera stunts a la Jackass etc.

Surprised myself how many belly laughs I got out of it. Eric Andre excellent as always in that zany gross out style of work he does.

Watched this as well - genuinely funny stuff, few scenes were outrageous and had us all laughing out loud and it's never really mean-spirited.

Well worth a watch. The format is identical to Bad Grandpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Caranica wrote: »
    This is why Netflix really needs to add a "hell no" option to mark stuff I'll never watch. Utter drivel.

You'll never watch but have clearly watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Sixty Six is a lovely, heartwarming film.

• Advertisement

You'll never watch but have clearly watched it?

Watched it on a plane. Will never ever ever watch it again. I'm happy to watch good stuff multiple times but this certainly doesn't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm more surprised with people continuing to watch McCarthy / Falcone collaborations and expecting anything other than what's come in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm more surprised with people continuing to watch McCarthy / Falcone collaborations and expecting anything other than what's come in the past.

You make a valid point....but there's always a hope that THIS TIME they've got it right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Caranica wrote: »
    Watched it on a plane. Will never ever ever watch it again. I'm happy to watch good stuff multiple times but this certainly doesn't qualify.

Fair, thought it was a one watch only type myself but at the same time was a reasonable directorial debut and performance from Cooper I thought maybe could have been snipped 20 mins or so towards the end, mainly the alcoholism aspect being a bit overcooked/self indulgent.

Fair, thought it was a one watch only type myself but at the same time was a reasonable directorial debut and performance from Cooper I thought maybe could have been snipped 20 mins or so towards the end, mainly the alcoholism aspect being a bit overcooked/self indulgent.

My inner monologue was shouting
    Die you b*stard, hurry up and die and get off my screen!!
    for most of the film, followed by "is it over yet”??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching films on an airplane. Look, I've been there; 8 hours to kill stuck in the world's most uncomfortable seat... But I can't think of a less appropriate context to watch any movie than an airplane. Not just the AV experience but the likelihood the film was cut to ribbons. Which is why I generally rewatch stuff I know and enjoy, safer that way lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Really enjoyed a star is born for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yeah I watched Justice League, for example, on a plane - while I did think it was crap, and everyone says it is, I do feel like I should watch it again before telling people my thoughts. When someone asks if I have seen a movie there are 3 responses - yes, no or yes, but on a plane. I pretty much always load up a tablet with some movies before a flight so I can avoid watching the in flight movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah I watched Justice League, for example, on a plane - while I did think it was crap, and everyone says it is, I do feel like I should watch it again before telling people my thoughts. When someone asks if I have seen a movie there are 3 responses - yes, no or yes, but on a plane. I pretty much always load up a tablet with some movies before a flight so I can avoid watching the in flight movies.

Well, It depends on which version you watch..Whedon's version is rubbish wherever you watch it.
    Snyder's is different gravy altogether

Well, It depends on which version you watch..Whedon's version is rubbish wherever you watch it.
    Snyder's is different gravy altogether

Oh yeah I meant the original. Probably a bad example given that there's a directors cut out now.

I suppose my point is you can't really judge a film based on a plane viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Watched Mindhunter over the last few days. Was really good. Can't believe they aren't making a third season.
    Unfortunately they didn't get the viewing figures.
    Maybe it was poorly promoted.
    It cost a fortune to make .
    The decided to. And anymore series without the director and he is not interested in making anymore for the minute.
    Real pity as it could have been the flagship program.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Line of Duty 1-5 appears to be on RTE player at the moment. Not sure what the story is with it on Netflix these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Unfortunately they didn't get the viewing figures.
    Maybe it was poorly promoted.
    It cost a fortune to make .
    The decided to. And anymore series without the director and he is not interested in making anymore for the minute.
    Real pity as it could have been the flagship program.

I would say that must be it. I haven't seen it, but almost everyone I know who has, loved it.
    Part of the reason I haven't watched it is because so many people were telling me that I got to.
    I wanted to wait until the hype slowed down or disappeared, but people still talking about it a year later.
    I have never seen it mentioned or advertised in any mainstream media, but I have heard tons about it from random people :) The viewing figures are probably following the word of mouth. It wouldn't surprise me if it consistently gets the same amount of viewers as many top shows, but just over a longer period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I got very bored of it after a while. It's plotted glacially, and I increasingly found I didn't like any of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

New Gods: Nezha Reborn (Chinese)
    While living as an ordinary deliveryman and motor racing fan, Nezha encounters old nemeses and must rediscover his powers to protect his loved ones.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Watched Thunderforce last night. Well, it's a 1 hour 47 minute movie. Save yourself 50 minutes (that was all I could last) and don't watch it. One of the only times I couldn't actually put up with a movie any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

antodeco wrote: »
    Watched Thunderforce last night. Well, it's a 1 hour 47 minute movie. Save yourself 50 minutes (that was all I could last) and don't watch it. One of the only times I couldn't actually put up with a movie any longer

Yeah pretty awful stuff, the wife seemed to enjoy it while I was mostly keeping an eye on the masters on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Watched Wild Bill over the weekend. Good film, worth a watch.

I had been putting off Hillbilly Eligy for a while as the reviews seemed to be pretty poor. I thought it was fine when I watched it last night though - I don't see why the reviews were so poor. It's not amazing or anything, it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Raven_k42

Morning all
    Working my way through Fauda at the moment - loving it.
    Got caught up with Nordic stuff...firstly through books then BBC4 (they've had great stuff in the 9pm slot...Borgen, The Killing, The Bridge...usually Fri/Sat evenings). Learnt to really like subtitles as well for some strange reason. Found loads on Netflix and pretty much enjoyed them all - Bordertown, Deadwind, Caliphate, Borderliner, Quicksand.
    Enjoyed Marcella more than I expected to.
    Oh...and Succession, has to be the standout show. [Sorry - not a Netflix show...but worth mentioning anyway !!]
    Struggling to remember the old days of having to watch a program at a particular time....
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Morning all
    Working my way through Fauda at the moment - loving it.
    Got caught up with Nordic stuff...firstly through books then BBC4 (they've had great stuff in the 9pm slot...Borgen, The Killing, The Bridge...usually Fri/Sat evenings). Learnt to really like subtitles as well for some strange reason. Found loads on Netflix and pretty much enjoyed them all - Bordertown, Deadwind, Caliphate, Borderliner, Quicksand.
    Enjoyed Marcella more than I expected to.
    Oh...and Succession, has to be the standout show.
    Struggling to remember the old days of having to watch a program at a particular time....
    K

Great list have watched most of them, must check out Fauda.

Agree re: Succession it really is a great show, I loved it but I don't think it's on Netflix, it's on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't watch Thunder Force, it's utter sh1te

I watched it with the family over the weekend and we all had good fun watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hurrache wrote: »
    I watched it with the family over the weekend and we all had good fun watching it.

Yeah, we watched it as well. Don't think it's quite as brutal as some are making out. It's just... grand. Does the job without being particularly good or memorable. I did get a good laugh at the part about describing what type of Jodie Foster the ex-CIA agent was. 'She's a 'It places the lotion in the basket' Jodie, not the 'Taaay in the wind' Jodie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I also got a laugh out of Jason Bateman's character every time he exited stage left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Really enjoyed a star is born for what it's worth.

with that username of course you did :)

so did i btw

Advertisement