Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

budgemook wrote: »
    I had been putting off Hillbilly Eligy for a while as the reviews seemed to be pretty poor. I thought it was fine when I watched it last night though - I don't see why the reviews were so poor. It's not amazing or anything, it's grand.

Well it’s sympathetic to the hillbillies. That’s why.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hurrache wrote: »
    I watched it with the family over the weekend and we all had good fun watching it.

You have got to be kidding it was rubbish, probably one of the worst things I have endured on Netflix since I started using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

My Love: Six Stories of True Love
    Six longtime couples in different parts of the world share their decades-long love in these tender portraits filmed over the course of one year.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Could do with a good detective/crime show being added . Had a look for Happy Valley as it was recommended when I mentioned Unforgotten. Seems to be gone though .
    Slim pickings on Disney (Star) as well.

I’ve ended up sticking with Superstore as a light watch . End of season 2 and really enjoying it

Community fell off a cliff on season 2. A lot of stupid pointless episodes . May go back at some stage but not sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

km79 wrote: »
    Could do with a good detective/crime show being added . Had a look for Happy Valley as it was recommended when I mentioned Unforgotten. Seems to be gone though .
    Slim pickings on Disney (Star) as well.

I’ve ended up sticking with Superstore as a light watch . End of season 2 and really enjoying it

Community fell off a cliff on season 2. A lot of stupid pointless episodes . May go back at some stage but not sure .

Think Hinterland is still on it - set in Wales

Slow paced like Unforgotten but a good bit more miserable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Think Hinterland is still on it - set in Wales

Slow paced like Unforgotten but a good bit more miserable

You are really selling it :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you didn't like community season 2 I wouldn't waste your time going back as it's probably the best season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gandalf wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding it was rubbish, probably one of the worst things I have endured on Netflix since I started using them!

Don't care really that other people think I'm kidding, all that matters to me is that we had fun watching it. And that's they way it should be.

I don't understand why people get so forceful when someone enjoys something they don't like, in any aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

km79 wrote: »

The stupid pointless episodes are what makes it so good. I wouldn't bother if you're not enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Don't care really that other people think I'm kidding, all that matters to me is that we had fun watching it. And that's they way is should be.

I don't understand why people get so forceful when someone enjoys something they don't like, in any aspects of life.

Yeah, dunno how we decided what we liked before the internet

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, dunno how we decided what we liked before the internet

I use to go out on the street and shout out the name of the film I was watching and then based whether I liked it or not on what people shouted back at me. Having your own opinion on something is just wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wonder if Martin Scorsese liked Thunder Force?

I wonder if Martin Scorsese liked Thunder Force?

I bet he wishes he put a Jodie Foster skit in the Irishman after seeing it in Thunder Force.

‘Bridgerton’ Renewed for Seasons 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

dublin49 wrote: »
    have watched 2 of the three Johnny Worricker triology with Bill Nighy,Kinda of MI16 espionage drama with some razor sharp dialogue,if its action you are looking for though,look elsewhere.The first one is called Page 8.Worth a look ,especially if you like Bill nighy.Good supporting cast,Christopher Walken is in the second one.BBC made so as always good quality.
    Mac B wrote: »
    My wife and I have watched all 3 in the last week. Great movies and no. 3 is the best. Little action, great script and brilliant acting. It's s great recommendation

I am not always on here, but, I have to say, the recommendations on this thread are brilliant when I need to find something decent to watch.

I did not know these movies were on Netflix.

Watching Page 8 now, and delighted there's two more.. thanks to you both.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep, enjoyed all 3 movies a lot on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

inforfun wrote: »
    Yep, enjoyed all 3 movies a lot on sunday.

What are the other two called?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Page 8

Turks & Caicos

Salting the Battlefield

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Turks & Caicos (2014) and Salting the Battlefield (2014).

The Circle USA season 2
    Status and strategy collide in this social experiment and competition show where online players flirt, befriend and catfish their way toward $100,000

Love and Monsters
    This Paramount-produced sci-fi stars The Maze Runner’s Dylan O’Brien and is written by Brian Duffield (Insurgent) and Matthew Robinson (Dora and the Lost City of Gold). It’s set seven years after the Monsterpocalypse, when all of humanity has been forced to live in underground colonies. After Joel Dawson (Dylan O’Brien) reconnects over the radio with his high school girlfriend Aimee, who has been living on the coast 80 miles away, he begins to fall for her again. Joel realises that there’s nothing left for him underground, and – despite all the danger that stands in his way – he decides he must venture out to find his true love.

Dad Stop Embarrassing Me!: Season 1
    This comedy created by and starring Oscar winner Jamie Foxx is inspired by his relationship with his daughter, Corinne.

The Circle: USA: Season 2
    A cast of eight new contestants enter The Circle, where they flirt, befriend and compete in challenges against each other on a unique social media platform to earn the ultimate cash prize as top influencer. With $100k on the line, will they be able to earn clout and figure out who is real and who is a catfish? Four episodes drop at once each Wednesday until the finale on 8th May.

Why Did You Kill Me?
    The line between justice and revenge blurs when a devastated family uses social media to track down the people who killed 24-year-old Crystal Theobald.

The Soul
    This suspense thriller is adapted from sci-fi writer Jiang Bo’s award-winning novel.
    While investigating the death of a businessman, a prosecutor and his wife uncover occult secrets as they face their own life-and-death dilemma.

Top End Wedding
    When a diligent lawyer travels home to plan a wedding with her fiancé in just 10 days, she learns her mom has left her dad and skipped town.

Chestnut: Hero of Central Park
    Sal and Ray face the impossible challenge of keeping Chestnut, a Great Dane puppy they adopted, hidden in an apartment building that forbids pets.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In the name of the father is still as good as when I saw it as a teenager.

Also loving masterchef and masterchef professionals.

Going to watch the art heist documentary later as I have heard it’s amazing.

https://www.tatler.com/article/netflix-this-is-a-robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Watched Run with Sarah Paulson - a nice 90 mins, and a decent psychological thriller. Well worth a go.

Also watched (or attempted to) Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer. This was terrible - both my wife and I looked at each other at the Jason Bateman scene, and turned it off. Spencer phoned it in, the movie didn't know if it wanted to be serious, or a comedy, or whatever. Horrible movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

antodeco wrote: »
    Watched Thunderforce last night. Well, it's a 1 hour 47 minute movie. Save yourself 50 minutes (that was all I could last) and don't watch it. One of the only times I couldn't actually put up with a movie any longer

This exactly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Circle USA season 2
    Status and strategy collide in this social experiment and competition show where online players flirt, befriend and catfish their way toward $100,000

Love and Monsters
    This Paramount-produced sci-fi stars The Maze Runner’s Dylan O’Brien and is written by Brian Duffield (Insurgent) and Matthew Robinson (Dora and the Lost City of Gold). It’s set seven years after the Monsterpocalypse, when all of humanity has been forced to live in underground colonies. After Joel Dawson (Dylan O’Brien) reconnects over the radio with his high school girlfriend Aimee, who has been living on the coast 80 miles away, he begins to fall for her again. Joel realises that there’s nothing left for him underground, and – despite all the danger that stands in his way – he decides he must venture out to find his true love.

Dad Stop Embarrassing Me!: Season 1
    This comedy created by and starring Oscar winner Jamie Foxx is inspired by his relationship with his daughter, Corinne.

The Circle: USA: Season 2
    A cast of eight new contestants enter The Circle, where they flirt, befriend and compete in challenges against each other on a unique social media platform to earn the ultimate cash prize as top influencer. With $100k on the line, will they be able to earn clout and figure out who is real and who is a catfish? Four episodes drop at once each Wednesday until the finale on 8th May.

Why Did You Kill Me?
    The line between justice and revenge blurs when a devastated family uses social media to track down the people who killed 24-year-old Crystal Theobald.

The Soul
    This suspense thriller is adapted from sci-fi writer Jiang Bo’s award-winning novel.
    While investigating the death of a businessman, a prosecutor and his wife uncover occult secrets as they face their own life-and-death dilemma.

Top End Wedding
    When a diligent lawyer travels home to plan a wedding with her fiancé in just 10 days, she learns her mom has left her dad and skipped town.

Chestnut: Hero of Central Park
    Sal and Ray face the impossible challenge of keeping Chestnut, a Great Dane puppy they adopted, hidden in an apartment building that forbids pets.

added
    Love and monsters is a really fun film, recommended.
    Shame its not on a cinema screen though because it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

joeguevara wrote: »
    In the name of the father is still as good as when I saw it as a teenager.

Going to watch the art heist documentary later as I have heard it’s amazing.

https://www.tatler.com/article/netflix-this-is-a-robbery

Giuseppe Mon... That scene in the jail hits me everytime..when word gets around

Second Love and Monsters. Really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gmisk wrote: »
    Love and monsters is a really fun film, recommended.
    Shame its not on a cinema screen though because it looks great

Yeah, it's a good movie. Low budget, but the FX work with the monsters is often incredible. While the human characters are sweet without seeming either too idiotic or excessively sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

drive to survive is brilliant and i wasnt an F1 fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

joeguevara wrote: »

Not enough seasons for my liking!! Love binge watching that stuff.

Advertisement