Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jiu Jitsu (Nic Cage)
    After the defeat of a celebrated war hero, an ancient order of fighters battles powerful space invaders as the fate of humanity hangs in the balance.

Only Mine
    After dating a charming cop who turns into an obsessive stalker, a small-town girl must save herself from his deadly ways.

The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills season 4
    The hit reality franchise takes up residence in Beverly Hills, where well-heeled frenemies fight, drink and primp their way to maximum drama.

Ride or Die (Japanese)
    Rei helps the woman she's been in love with for years escape her abusive husband. While on the run, their feelings for each other catch fire.

Dark City Beneath the Beat
    In this documentary, TT the Artist captures the irrepressible bounce and infectious beats of a Baltimore club scene that demands to be seen and heard.

GANTZ:O (Japanese)
    Teams of recently deceased people who've been revived and given high-tech weapons must cooperate to defeat an army of monsters in Tokyo and Osaka.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Netflix is poor
    It was grand when it €7/8 a few year ago but gradually the price has crept up and up and it is just not worth it.
    Queens gambit was a good show but it wasn’t great
    Ozark is a poor mans rip off of breaking bad replacing a chemistry teacher with an accountant.
    I find everything is regarded a good 2 star about what they actual are.

Some of the docs are good(Michael Jordan,blackfish) but at lot of it woeful dross.

Really enjoyed mindhunter but they stopped making that because it didn’t gets the viewers which would suggest the demographic of Netflix is 15-30 year olds and leaning heavily towards girls based on the top ten in Ireland list .

I’m tryi to think of a Netflix movie that was good and I am really struggling to think of one.

Amazon prime has supior content but lacks in quantity but it is good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Netflix is poor
    It was grand when it €7/8 a few year ago but gradually the price has crept up and up and it is just not worth it.
    Ozark is a poor mans rip off of breaking bad replacing a chemistry teacher with an accountant.

Some of the docs are good(Michael Jordan,blackfish) but at lot of it woeful dross.

Really enjoyed mindhunter but they stopped making that because it didn’t gets the viewers which would suggest the demographic of Netflix is 15-30 year olds and leaning heavily towards girls based on the top ten in Ireland list .

I’m tryi to think of a Netflix movie that was good and I am really struggling to think of one.

I don't think Amazon lacks in quantity but it has a really poor interface and is absolutely chock-a-block with dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Amazon's library isn't a patch on Netflix. Don't know how anyone can say it's better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

surely everyone is signed up through some family plan at this stage, making it only a few euros a month ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Amazon's library isn't a patch on Netflix. Don't know how anyone can say it's better

I'm sure Jeff Bezos would try and argue the fact.....

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Netflix is poor

Mind hunter was one of the best shows Netflix made and I didn't realise it was cancelled.
    I Just found out that Netflix now costs 17 euro for the top plan, ouch.

A few years ago I took advice from the get Netflix cheaper thread and haven't looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Gotta agree with the other poster myself as more of a movies guy anyway Amazon have over 6k more at any given time than Netflix I mean that's way to much wiggle room to even go disputing.

TV shows that people are well up on using Netflix to watch such as Fargo or Derry Girls are streaming for free on the All4 player. Think it was November last year with the new season of The Crown and The Queens Gambit landing that saved a bit of face for me in some time before then in terms of content in that regard but happily acknowledge people have different tastes and there's definitely a host of TV stuff on there to keep people happy.

I think it has a better hit rate with its Amazon Originals. I've probably watched more on Amazon over the last while than Netflix. When it started off, Prime was absolute dreck but it has improved vastly over the last couple of years.

Like I said, its interface is poor and I have to keep an eye on Justwatch.com to see what's after coming on the platform because I'd probably miss it completely otherwise. Them, a highly anticipated series with very strong reviews, appeared on Amazon last Friday and I actually had to go searching for it which is pretty ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Gotta agree with the other poster myself as more of a movies guy anyway Amazon have over 6k more at any given time than Netflix I mean that's way to much wiggle room to even go disputing.

TV shows that people are well up on using Netflix to watch such as Fargo or Derry Girls are streaming for free on the All4 player. Think it was November last year with the new season of The Crown and The Queens Gambit landing that saved a bit of face for me in some time before then in terms of content in that regard but happily acknowledge people have different tastes and there's definitely a host of TV stuff on there to keep people happy.

Jesus the amazon interface must be even worse than I thought if there are that many movies on it because I certainly can't find them. Usually you go through about 20 good movies (and there are good ones) before you get to absolute garbage.

Or are you including the ones you have to pay extra to watch?

• Advertisement

Jesus the amazon interface must be even worse than I thought if there are that many movies on it because I certainly can't find them. Usually you go through about 20 good movies (and there are good ones) before you get to absolute garbage.

Use JustWatch.com to search through Prime. There's just under 10,000 movies on the Irish Prime according to it. A hell of a lot of dross but a lot of decent stuff on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Use JustWatch.com to search through Prime. There's just under 10,000 movies on the Irish Prime according to it. A hell of a lot of dross but a lot of decent stuff on it as well.

Where are you seeing that exactly? Any chance of a link?

Edit, scratch that, I see it now. An awful, awful lot of ****e

Where are you seeing that exactly? Any chance of a link?

Edit, scratch that, I see it now. My guess is it includes titles that you have to pay additional for

No, that would be just the ones you can view for free.

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have definitely been watching more content on Amazon prime recently versus Netflix.
    New episodes of Invincible every Friday is brilliant, some good films too
    The Netflix original shows recently seem to be aimed at teens or a predominantly female audience recently.

The Amazon prime interface is brutal it barely highlights new stuff being added.
    But yeah justwatch is great.
    That shows generally more content being added to prime versus Netflix the past good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Nope their bum interface truly is Netflix's gain :pac:

Prime Ireland doesn't have PPV content just what is included in sub.

I actually find good movies are scattered throughout some of the clutter, new releases regularly drift the bottom of sections when they are released. Theres a bunch of live concerts on there too if that's your bag and low and behold what no way of retrieving them unless you search as there simply is no section.

A search by actor will typically toss out results you had no clue they were on there.

Like Bile Duct says Justwatch is a great way of being up to date, it's not without the odd niggles here and there but is the best resource about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One little feature I like on Prime Video is “XRay” - i.e pause a movie/show at any stage and it’ll tell you the actors on screen.. useful in the scenario of “where have I seen them before?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We've had a much better time finding movies on Amazon Prime v Netflix. This could be partly down to us previously using Netflix only, and picking up Amazon within the last couple of months. I definitely find it much harder to browse on Amazon, but do value that 9 times out of 10, they will include the trailer. On Netflix, trailers on seem to be included for Originals. #FirstWorldProblem of having to change app on the smart TV to watch the trailer...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

2smiggy wrote: »
    surely everyone is signed up through some family plan at this stage, making it only a few euros a month ?

What's this family plan? Do you just mean sharing the account or do you mean some family plan like spotify have?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

*cough* fun though this chat is, any chance we could get back towards recommending things on Netflix? (and no "get Prime instead" is not a useful rec for a Netflix user :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

Hope Gap starring Annette Bening,Bill Nighy and Josh O Connor.Excellent ,really enjoyed it .Marital Drama,Bening steals the show .Quality viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Must say i was laughing my a$$ off at Bad Trip. Not a great movie but more laugh out loud moments than anything I've seen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    They Live. One of those carpenter films I never saw for some reason. I know it from pop culture, etc but Christ that was disappointing.

I was expecting it to be far more craic than it was. didn't have the fun factor I was expecting. And seems like they didn't exploit the premise as much as they could. Am I wrong?

It was made 30 years ago.
    The music is great.
    It had a limited budget.
    Looking at it now I agree it comes across as basic enough.
    The reason it resonates today is because ultimately is a prediction on today American society and the pure distraction/deflection of the media.

The thing
    Escape from New York
    Big trouble in little China
    Assault on presinct 13
    Halloween

Carpenter is adored and rightly so.
    Amazing music always seem to have amazing support actors
    Just great movies
    He was never given a budget but always made the most of it

Why Are You Like This: Season 1
    Three best friends negotiate work, fun, identity politics, hookups and wild nights out in this razor-sharp satire of 20-something life in Melbourne.

Into the Beat
    A teen ballerina discovers hip-hop by chance and is faced with an impossible choice: Does she follow her parents’ footsteps… or her newfound passion?

Arlo the Alligator Boy
    Michael J Woodard (American Idol) and Mary Lambert (Same Love) lend their voices to this feel-good animated musical.

Ajeeb Daastaans
    A debauchery-filled gathering for five friends turns into a test of friendship and a web of suspicion when a dead body is found in their rented home.

Fast & Furious Spy Racers: Season 4
    Based on Universal’s multi-billion dollar franchise, Netflix’s animated series follows teenager Tony Toretto, who takes after his cousin Dom when he and his friends are recruited by a government agency to infiltrate an elite racing league serving as a front for a nefarious crime organisation bent on world domination. Now, they’re back for another lap.

Dad Stop Embarrassing Me - The Afterparty
    Jamie Foxx, David Alan Grier and more from the cast of the family comedy discuss the show, humiliating family moments, bad BBQ dishes and sitcom openings.

Seraph of the End Seasons 1&2
    After a deadly viral plague, the few child survivors become livestock for the vampires taking over the world. But one group is fighting back.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

budgemook wrote: »
    What's this family plan? Do you just mean sharing the account or do you mean some family plan like spotify have?

similar to spotify , think I am paying €16 or €17 for 4 users

have a look in the bargain alerts forum for various options for Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

2smiggy wrote: »
    similar to spotify , think I am paying €16 or €17 for 4 users

have a look in the bargain alerts forum for various options for Netflix

Thanks - I haven't seen it on the netflix site so I guess this is password sharing and setting up different profiles. With spotify you have separate accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Assault on presinct 13
    Amazing music

Assault on Precinct 13 has a fantastic soundtrack alright.

The music is great.
    It had a limited budget.
    The reason it resonates today is because ultimately is a prediction on today American society and the pure distraction/deflection of the media.

The thing
    Escape from New York
    Assault on presinct 13
    Halloween

Just great movies

the thing soundtrack was Ennio Morricone , when he was approached to do it he said to john carpenter your scores are great why don't you do it and john carpenter said 'they won't let me. so Ennio did a john carpenter style soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Beer & Crisp Night to night after a hard week at the grindstone :D
    Any decent Sci Fi movies to recommend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The music is great.
    It had a limited budget.

The thing
    Escape from New York
    Assault on presinct 13
    Halloween

Just great movies

Christine is also quite good,
    Watched The Thing and the 2012 prequel back to back, the original is so much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Beer & Crisp Night to night after a hard week at the grindstone :D
    Any decent Sci Fi movies to recommend ?

Arrival, The Martian, 10 Cloverfield Lane (less of a sci fi), Oblivion, Annihilation are all good.

Advertisement