Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just finished season 1 of Top of the Lake .I finished because I had started but my good its tough going . Not one single likable person in the whole series !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Christine is also quite good,
    Watched The Thing and the 2012 prequel back to back, the original is so much better

I don't think it would have completely saved the film, but the studio interfered with the 2012 prequel, not least in forcing the production to abandon its predominance of practical effect work for CGI. There are some interesting interviews with the chief FX artists whose work was scuttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Beer & Crisp Night to night after a hard week at the grindstone :D
    Any decent Sci Fi movies to recommend ?

Love and Monsters is the perfect beer and crisps movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Really enjoyed 'The Man From Majorca', a Swedish crime thriller from 1984. Would recommend if you're into that sort of thing. Crime thrillers that is, not necessarily Swedish 80s films. But it ticks both boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think it would have completely saved the film, but the studio interfered with the 2012 prequel, not least in forcing the production to abandon its predominance of practical effect work for CGI. There are some interesting interviews with the chief FX artists whose work was scuttled.

CGI looks poor, but the original has a sense of foreboding that the 2012 completely lacks

• Advertisement

Love and Monsters is the perfect beer and crisps movie.

Just watched it, grand,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist
    Writers, directors and actors come together in a conversation about the extraordinary artistic process of Chadwick Boseman.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Really enjoyed a star is born for what it's worth.

I watched it last night. Really really enjoyable. It's 90% on RT for a reason. I actually have the soundtrack playing here all morning which is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

dublin49 wrote: »
    Hope Gap starring Annette Bening,Bill Nighy and Josh O Connor.Excellent ,really enjoyed it .Marital Drama,Bening steals the show .Quality viewing.

Yes. I enjoyed that too

Anti-Life
    The crew of a spaceship carrying Earth's remaining survivors battles an insidious alien parasite that may destroy the future of humankind.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Watched Love and Monsters last night. It was really good. Need to get back to Tribes of Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    Anti-Life
    The crew of a spaceship carrying Earth's remaining survivors battles an insidious alien parasite that may destroy the future of humankind.

Added
    Is this the Bruce Willis film?
    Seems to be called breach as well, reviews are absolutely horrendous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"stars Bruce Willis" is a big red flag for me these days; it's disappointing he seemed to completely check out of trying. Not like he has anything left to prove, but you'd wonder why or how he finds himself in these dregs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"stars Bruce Willis" is a big red flag for me these days; it's disappointing he seemed to completely check out of trying. Not like he has anything left to prove, but you'd wonder why or how he finds himself in these dregs.
    He does seem to really take any oul rubbish.
    I am struggling to think about last good film he was in?!
    Even nic cage seems to pick the odd interesting thing.

His scenes in most of the stuff he's done lately seem to be filmed separately from the rest of the film, like he's showed up for a few hours,collected his cheque and gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

He's supposed to be a dick to work with, isn't he?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    He's supposed to be a dick to work with, isn't he?

He's partially deaf which may play a part in that, too many people talking ,making noise is irritating when you can't hear properly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Highly recommend the second season of Bitter Daisies in spite of the darkness of the subject matter.

I watched Anti-Life, its got Willis, Timothy V Murphy, and Thomas Jane, if anyone has seen the old 80s movie Leviathan it's basically the plot of that crossed with a Chinese whispers version of Alien, nothing you haven't seen before and you might want to turn the brightness up as its all darkness and shadows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Molly's Game (2017) tells the story of Molly Bloom, and ex-elite skier who ends up deep in the underground Hollywood poker scene. The gorgeous Jessica Chastain stars ( :pac: ), along with Idris Elba. Our own Chris O'Dowd features.

Overall, I would put it at 6.5/10.
    The film is dialogue & voice over heavy. However, neither lends itself to explaining the poker terminology used. Now, it's not essential to understand what's going on with the poker but I found I lost interest about halfway through when it got heavy on the poker. It took me a while to buy in again.

As the film progressed, I was sort of lost as to what was going on. She got into poker, and it focused heavily on the Hollywood stars that played. Then all of a sudden it was the Russian mafia. I'm still not sure how that came about. Maybe that was from me not paying attention when I lost it halfway through.

• Advertisement

Free to Play
    This documentary follows three professional video game players as they compete in an international tournament with a million-dollar prize.

Luis Miguel - The Series season 2
    This series dramatizes the life story of Mexican superstar singer Luis Miguel, who has captivated audiences in Latin America and beyond for decades.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The great roles aren’t there for old men.... Hollywood wants hunks with muscle and /or great hair

The great roles aren’t there for old men.... Hollywood wants hunks with muscle and /or great hair

That's not remotely true, not with Bob Odenkirk currently gunning down goons right this minute, off the back of the "gerry-action" genre, itself ignited by Liam Neeson. Even Gerard Butler isn't what you'd call buff. The action genre hasn't been populated with hunks in about 20, 30 years, not since the brief era of bodybuilding kicked off in the 80s. Dwayne Johnson is very much the exception ATM.

And Willis' many dramatic roles showed he has ability, so it's not like there wasn't space to pivot either. Or opportunity, given notable cases with films like 6th Sense or Moonrise Kingdom. He just doesn't seem bothered anymore, happy to slum for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He just doesn't seem bothered anymore, happy to slum for cash.

Can't say he looks happy doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dwayne Johnson is very much the exception ATM.

Plus he's 48, so most kids would say he's an old man!

Keanu Reeves is even older at 56 and he's had 3 recent enough nothing but action hits on his hands.

Can't say he looks happy doing it.

Well, to be sure. Not sure how I'd describe Willis' latter-day career really: the guy seems singularly miserable half the time I read about him, or see his face in a trailer. But then keeps appearing in this awful shít. I wonder if he's an Andre Agassi type, and never enjoyed his chosen path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't mind if Willis was making solid b-movies, but he's not doing that either. Most of his recent films have been a fair rung below that, absolute phoned-in garbage that's truly not much better than Steven Seagal quality.

I started watching that Anti-Life one but had to turn it off, it was like a SyFy original movie.

Expected more, considering it also has Frank Grillo (who aces it in Boss Level recently) and Thomas Jane (had a good run in The Expanse, best sci-fi on TV behind BSG), I thought it might be a slightly better production, but nope, it's dreadful, cheap and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if Willis was making solid b-movies, but he's not doing that either. Most of his recent films have been a fair rung below that, absolute phoned-in garbage that's truly not much better than Steven Seagal quality.

I started watching that Anti-Life one but had to turn it off, it was like a SyFy original movie.

Expected more, considering it also has Frank Grillo (who aces it in Boss Level recently) and Thomas Jane (had a good run in The Expanse, best sci-fi on TV behind BSG), I thought it might be a slightly better production, but nope, it's dreadful, cheap and tacky.

Thomas Jane is a massively underrated actor, also amazing in Boogie Nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched love and monsters over the weekend, it was grand probably an ideal Sunday evening film

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched love and monsters over the weekend, it was grand probably an ideal Sunday evening film

i have to wait 6 days

Advertisement