Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Witcher has the violence & gratuitous toplessness of GoT, so superficially it's a similar show but as said already, bares more of a resemblance to a grubbier LoTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hithere246

The Guilty
    Danish movie, one actor in an emergency call centre.. I've a low attention span when it comes to movies as I prefer series as I know the characters. I really enjoyed this.. couldn't leave the couch till it was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Alexa & Katie: New Year's Eve Countdown

Full house new years Eve and a load of kids cartoon new years Eve specials

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Hithere246 wrote: »
    The Guilty
    Danish movie, one actor in an emergency call centre.. I've a low attention span when it comes to movies as I prefer series as I know the characters. I really enjoyed this.. couldn't leave the couch till it was over.

+1 on this recommendation.

watched it by chance, thought it was excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watch Black Death? The film with Sean Bean in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Watched Arctic last night. It was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭enricoh

Watched girl interrupted last night, not exactly an unknown film but really liked it.
    Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie 20 years ago - Savage! Oh and good actresses too!

Thought that guilty was excellent too- would never have seen it only for a recommendation on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

fin12 wrote: »

Have you listened to The Gladiator podcast about him? Highly recommended.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I looked at the trailer for that Virgin River thing based on the conversations in here and..... it looks like a Hart of Dixie remake? Even has the same actor playing the local doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Watched half an episode of that new Hart show. Wasnt for me, like who cares how he gets stuff done, I enjoy his movies for the most part but I couldn't careless watching him get up early to work and then bragging about it.
    I also don't care he quit the Oscars or who was offended by his tweets , was just all noise to me .

I'll check that Danish movie in the emergency call centre thanks poster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

gmisk wrote: »
    Don't f#ck with cats

Jesus Christ great watch...mad stuff...watch it without reading the background

Just watched episode 1. I’m very nearly sh!tin’ the bed! :( Some parts I had to skip over! But the story line takes more twists and turns than I’ve had hot dinners!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

job seeker wrote: »
    Just watched episode 1. I’m very nearly sh!tin’ the bed! :( Some parts I had to skip over! But the story line takes more twists and turns than I’ve had hot dinners!

Just finished first episode aswell, really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched The Guilty as recommended by a couple here. Worth the watch, just slightly irritating the only subtitle option is closed caption. I didn't need to be told there was inaudible chatter or phone ringing, I could hear.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.: Reawakened
    Being an esper seems cool on TV, but in Saiki Kusuo’s life as a normal teenager it’s a real drag. The hit comedy manga returns in a new anime series.
    Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The Death of Stalin is an excellent although slightly chilling political satire of the events in the Soviet Union after Stalin's. A mix of political machinations and comedy. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent comedy. Although my favorite exchange, between the Stalin children, is a lot more low brow:

Svetlana: "Can you please just be cordial?"

Vasily: "I know the drill. Smile, shake hands and try not to call them a c*nt."

Svetlana: "Perfect. That's perfect."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Death of Stalin is an excellent although slightly chilling political satire of the events in the Soviet Union after Stalin's. A mix of political machinations and comedy. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent comedy. Although my favorite exchange, between the Stalin children, is a lot more low brow:

Svetlana: "Can you please just be cordial?"

Vasily: "I know the drill. Smile, shake hands and try not to call them a c*nt."

Svetlana: "Perfect. That's perfect."

Jason Isaacs' character is absolutely brilliant in this, and gets some great lines that also provide a slightly less black vein of humour to offset the main seam of pitch black satire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I enjoyed season 1 of You, so far Season 2 seems to have jumped the shark, also everyone in it seems to be a walking cliché... with a name to match.

The Witcher, still no idea what is going on, I think it should have had a little bit more info at the start to just explain the setting. Had to read elsewhere to gain an insight into what is what.

Don't F*** with Cats. Bloody hell fire! That was mental, even more so than Evil Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Dont F*** with the cats is a great watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Roman J. Israel is good if you can keep up with his ramblings. He completely loses it about three quarters of the way through but somewhat regains himself. The line between genius and madness is very fine indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

only noticed the other week some Ken Burns stuff on irish netflix. :D

The Vietnam war which aired last year which is excellent and half way through the civil war which overall is 11 hours long. It may seem for those unfamiliar with Burns to much, but they are quite watchable, fascinating and obviously pretty in depth.

More than 39 million viewers tuned in to at least one episode, and viewership averaged more than 14 million viewers each evening, making it the most-watched program ever to air on PBS. It was awarded more than 40 major television and film honors. A companion book to the documentary was released shortly after the series aired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Dont F*** with the cats is a great watch...

MY son was telling me the plot on this..... I am in shock!!

What is the world coming to......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Rjd2 wrote: »

The Vietnam war which aired last year which is excellent and half way through the civil war which overall is 11 hours long. It may seem for those unfamiliar with Burns to much, but they are quite watchable, fascinating and obviously pretty in depth.

The entire Ken Burns stuff is well worth the watch, very informative and presented at a gentle pace that helps the information stick.

I just finished watching the one about country music that aired on BBC4 recently. Apparently they cut it down from what aired in the US but it was still about 8 hours in total. It was fascinating and extremely in depth, as you say, but presented in such a way that you can keep up with it all and really soak up the information.

I started watching his one on The West before but never got it finished, but I'll probably watch them all now, even the ones I'd have had little interest in, they're just that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

so after binge watching dont f*** with cats and drinking 2 bottles of wine.. going to try evil genius (maybe with more wine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I just finished watching the one about country music that aired on BBC4 recently. Apparently they cut it down from what aired in the US but it was still about 8 hours in total. It was fascinating and extremely in depth, as you say, but presented in such a way that you can keep up with it all and really soak up the information.

I started watching his one on The West before but never got it finished, but I'll probably watch them all now, even the ones I'd have had little interest in, they're just that good.
    I watched the Vietnam one a while ago and it was well over 8 hours. It was excellent alright. I was surprised how little I knew about it.

I recently watched most of the first part of his documentary on WW2 which looks at it from an American perspective. Don't know if it showed more violence or if I was just in a different headspace, but I got a bit freaked out and ruminated on human mortality for a couple of weeks. Very good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

sadly its not a full cv of his work.:(

it doesn't have the baseball,,,jazz or national parks ones, but ah well still got plenty other stuff to go through.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

it doesn't have the baseball,,,jazz or national parks ones, but ah well still got plenty other stuff to go through.:)

I don't even like baseball much, but that is a brilliant documentary.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'm planning The West, The Civil War and Prohibition. That's 20+ hours, should keep me going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Enjoyed the guilty, had me hooked from the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

mrmorgan wrote: »
    so after binge watching dont f*** with cats and drinking 2 bottles of wine.. going to try evil genius (maybe with more wine)

I didn’t think Evil Genius was near as full on (or as good), as Don’t fcuk with cats..

Advertisement