Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Army of the Dead
    Zack Snyder returns to the zombie genre for this thriller that follows a group of mercenaries who, after a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantine zone to pull off a job.

Creating an Army of the Dead
    Zack Snyder and his "Army of the Dead" team dive into the film's wild stunts, groundbreaking effects and the evolution of the zombie genre.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous: Season 3
    This entertaining Jurassic Park animation is a surprisingly dark ride.

The Neighbor: Season 2
    Self-centered Javier’s life gets a bit messy when he unexpectedly becomes a superhero — and his recent ex is tasked with uncovering his identity.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hoping that Army of the dead is worth watching after being let down by the last few Netflix movies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The 2hr 28min runtime for Army of the Dead would put me off watching it. I'll definitely wait for others opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mun1

30 mins into army of the dead and start is fairly decent and a bit tongue in cheek

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hoping that Army of the dead is worth watching after being let down by the last few Netflix movies.

Donald Clarke at the IT reckons it's a good watch ("it's a hoot" are his exact words and he ends his review looking forward to sequels). For whatever you think that's worth - for me that bumps it from "No thanks" to "maybe on a Friday with a pizza & beers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Altes Geld is a slightly left of field recommendation.

A dark Austrian farce.

Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

mun1 wrote: »
    30 mins into army of the dead and start is fairly decent and a bit tongue in cheek

Well you clearly were not enjoying it if you posting here during it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Really looking forward to this same boat as you hope Im not let down !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just finished army of the dead and really enjoyed it. Soundtrack is superb so have that blaring out on Spotify now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah I had the same reservations, but rest assured its pretty decent, well worth your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

30 minutes into Army Of The Dead, so far, so very Zack Snyder, plenty of slo-mo trailer shots and an in your face soundtrack.

I don't know the technical jargon but the cinematography is very annoying, I don't know if it's the lenses being used but it's like there's a frame of heat haze around a lot of the scenes

I did the free trial back in December to watch Wolfwalkers and ended up watching S1 of Dickinson then too. They started adding S2 of Dickinson in January but I just waited til it was all up and paid for a month, watched it and then someone told me to check out For All Mankind while I had it. I don't think I'd keep it all year round, to be honest. I'll just wait until they have a couple of new seasons of things and get a month subscription to watch them all. Not much use if you want to be able to be involved in realtime conversations and what not about a show, but for me it works.

Apples big chance is Foundation and Empire, the adaption of the Isaac Asimov novels. That could be a breakout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Basq wrote: »
    Was on quite recently, so assuming ITV Hub.
    Yeah, Wolfwalkers is exclusively on there, and they're apparently only doing a limited edition physical release of it in a box set with Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea, which is a bit annoying, but I'm getting very off topic now :D

I don't even have a way of watching physical releases anymore, .

On topic, we've been watching startup, I was pretty sceptical based on the feedback I've seen on here. Is not mind blowing or award winning, but so far it's interesting enough. Can't help feeling the casting of Arthur Dent/doctor Watson as a sexy FBI agent who doesn't play by the rules is a bit of dodgy call.
    And they're really intent on shoe-horning in the sex scenes for no good reason (am I getting old??)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

fvp4 wrote: »
    Apples big chance is Foundation and Empire, the adaption of the Isaac Asimov novels. That could be a breakout.

Yeah I think if Foundation is as good as the trailer looks, it'll justify the €4.99 a month for me once my free year runs out...

(Not to mention more Morning Show, Mythic Quest, Ted Lasso, Dickinson, For All Mankind, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Miracle in cell number 7 is an excellent Turkish movie if your ok with subtitles

Don't think I have ever been so emotional watching a movie. Great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mun1

Really looking forward to this same boat as you hope Im not let down !

It’s actually quite good , very well paced and plenty of twists

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Watched Rocketman tonight and really enjoyed it. Just the right amount of music IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's nothing special but definitely worth watching, good fun action movie. In some ways it's a nice throw back to action movies of the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's nothing special but definitely worth watching, good fun action movie. In some ways it's a nice throw back to action movies of the 90s

Just watched it, liked it

Sam Smith: Love Goes - Live at Abbey Road Studios
    Grammy-winning artist Sam Smith gives an intimate, soulful performance at the iconic Abbey Road Studios featuring songs from their third album and more.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Near the end of the first season of Drive to Survive

I know a few recommended it in here and one of the lads at work recommended it also but I was reluctant because I assumed, wrongly, that it would just be a season review but that's not the case at all.

Each episode focuses on something different and is really interesting especially as I stopped following F1 years ago - gives a big insight into the world of F1 and how cut throat it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I know a few recommended it in here and one of the lads at work recommended it also but I was reluctant because I assumed, wrongly, that it would just be a season review but that's not the case at all.

Each episode focuses on something different and is really interesting especially as I stopped following F1 years ago - gives a big insight into the world of F1 and how cut throat it is

It's the best made show of its type on Netflix imo..sports related

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

appledrop wrote: »
    Just watched Sherpa.

Omg I'm soooooo angry after watching it.

Absolutely disgraceful the entitlement 'Westerns' feel about climbing this mountain.

It would make you sick. I had some idea about how wrong it was from the film Everest, but this documentary really highlights it.

It's a must watch.

I agree it's a must watch and I felt really angry too after watching it.

I'm still totally shocked at the bit where
    that guy asked who the "troublemaking" Sherpa's OWNERS were. :mad: And he didn't look even a bit sheepish after saying it. Like basically saying he viewed other human beings as lesser. It annoyed me that nobody challenged him though of course maybe somebody did and it didn't make the edit.

And he was the same guy who was rambling about 9/11 and terrorism later. What an arsehole. He was also the guy whose climbing (and maybe life) partner was talking about how much she loved Nepal and how cool Buddhism was. Wonder what she made of that comment?.

I think Russell Brice came across terribly too. I could rant about that but I won't. It will go on too long :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had the same, people raving about it saying you'll enjoy it even if you don't like F1. Watched half of the first episode and gave up. It was following some Australian F1 driver I couldn't care less about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Had the same, people raving about it saying you'll enjoy it even if you don't like F1. Watched half of the first episode and gave up. It was following some Australian F1 driver I couldn't care less about

Go back and watch Season 1, Episode 8 (The Next Generation) - really touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Go back and watch Season 1, Episode 8 (The Next Generation) - really touching.

Season Two, Episode Two - AKA The Haas Implosion is a great episode as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Got the new season of Camp Cretaceous watched. Liked the reference to one big difference between the original Jurassic Park and the book.
    I'd say next season will be the last

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not typically a fan of Snyder but had a big grin on my face for the last 45 minutes or so of 'Army Of The Dead'...

.. wafer-thin clichèd characters and some truly eyerolling dialogue - but who cares when it's just a riot.

Didn't mind the runtime being honest but did 3 watches of 50 minutes a piece.

Master of None season 3
    Actor Dev, his childhood pal Denise and their eclectic group of friends navigate love, careers, social issues and more in this acclaimed series.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Basq wrote: »
    Not typically a fan of Snyder but had a big grin on my face for the last 45 minutes or so of 'Army Of The Dead'...

.. wafer-thin clichèd characters and some truly eyerolling dialogue - but who cares when it's just a riot.

Didn't mind the runtime being honest but did 3 watches of 50 minutes a piece.

Cranberries "Zombie" made it special

Advertisement