Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I really enjoyed Army of the Dead and had a ton of fun with friends and a few beers. Yeah, it's utterly stupid but it's the best kind of stupid. Well-paced and never feels slow or bloated despite being really long for this kind of movie.

Nowhere near as good as Dawn of the Dead admittedly but well worth the watch, would've loved to have seen it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Enjoying Marcella. Filling the giant line of duty/Unforgotton void in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Homelander wrote: »
    Nowhere near as good as Dawn of the Dead admittedly but well worth the watch, would've loved to have seen it in the cinema.
    Agreed. Snyder will never better it I'd say.

Remember seeing it in the cinema and the whole thing just felt so refreshing.. plus as good as "Zombie" was in AotD, "The Man Comes Around" was used even better in DotD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Kajaki is an excellent movie, pretty graphic but well made

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

True story i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Sherpa over the weekend. It's a maddening watch. The entitlement of the summit tourists - I'm not going to call any of them mountaineers - is appalling. Fantastic documentary and a great insight into the lives of the Sherpa people that work the mountains but I was disgusted by their treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Watched Sherpa over the weekend. It's a maddening watch. The entitlement of the summit tourists - I'm not going to call any of them mountaineers - is appalling. Fantastic documentary and a great insight into the lives of the Sherpa people that work the mountains but I was disgusted by their treatment.

Also watched it yday
    Very good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can't remember if I mentioned it but I find myself using the 1.5 playback speed for a lot of stuff these days. It's mad how watchable things still are. Though it looks strange at times when people are running out something.
    Unfortunately it's not available on all versions of Netflix. Have to watch using Edge on my PC instead of using the built in app on the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I can't remember if I mentioned it but I find myself using the 1.5 playback speed for a lot of stuff these days. It's mad how watchable things still are. Though it looks strange at times when people are running out something.
    Unfortunately it's not available on all versions of Netflix. Have to watch using Edge on my PC instead of using the built in app on the tv
    I did that a good while back for the last season of house of cards that I watched. A lot of Netflix-produced shows could be improved by faster pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Rfrip wrote: »
    Enjoying Marcella. Filling the giant line of duty/Unforgotton void in my life

I am missing Unforgotten too . Have you watched Happy Valley ? That’s a good one too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Watching at 1.5x speed? Wow. Can't think of a single example of where I'd want to do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Watching at 1.5x speed? Wow. Can't think of a single example of where I'd want to do that.

I remember it mentioned that some US networks will take short format shows (like Big Bang Theory) and play the episodes at 1.1 or 1.2 speed to slightly compress the run-time, allowing for one more ad-break - without it being too obvious the episode was sped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

CastorTroy wrote: »

Does playing at 1.5 not ruin the dialogue due to the shift in voices?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I listen to a lot of podcasts at 1.2 speed but I could not imagine doing it for a visual medium. Everything would just feel 'off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Does playing at 1.5 not ruin the dialogue due to the shift in voices?

I'm presuming the voices stay the same pitch - the technology is there to do it. I've sped up footage in Adobe Premiere and the option is there to keep the pitch the same as the original footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've heard of students doing it with lecture videos, which sounds sensible enough to me, but if I have to watch something sped up for it to be sufficiently entertaining, I'm not watching it in the first place. I'd sooner read the plot summary on wikipedia.

I can't remember what I first tried it with but found it worked well enough to try it more.
    I expected voices to sound off but they didn't and maybe it's because we speak fast here but the speaking seems to be normal speed.
    Subs can help as well, but only time they're really needed are when talking about stuff I likely wouldn't pick up on at normal speed, like technical, sci-fi or fantasy terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I listen to a lot of podcasts at 1.2 speed but I could not imagine doing it for a visual medium. Everything would just feel 'off'.
    mikhail wrote: »
    I've heard of students doing it with lecture videos, which sounds sensible enough to me, but if I have to watch something sped up for it to be sufficiently entertaining, I'm not watching it in the first place. I'd sooner read the plot summary on wikipedia.

Yeah, I've done ~1.2x with lengthy info heavy podcasts and audio books and have gone up to 1.5x for learning/training purposes but would adjust it throughout the video.

I'm assuming Martin Scorsese would be livid if he thought someone was watching The Irishman at 1.5x the normal speed.

Hmmm, there's an idea. :pac:

For the audiobook I'm currently listening to, it's at 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If Tenet gets added at any point should I watch it at 1.5 or -1.5?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Between this and the people willingly stretching aspect ratios on their TVs, my 'crimes against cinema' ****list is growing dramatically thanks to this forum :P

Both. Then watch Memento in chronological order, which was a hidden feature on the dvd.

Between this and the people willingly stretching aspect ratios on their TVs, my 'crimes against cinema' ****list is growing dramatically thanks to this forum :P

Sure I just turn the volume down as well and put on the Benny Hill music and it makes everything better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

To be fair, it depends on the material. Tarkovsky's Stalker at 1.5x? The sentence is death, no appeal. {sound of gavel thud} But an action movie that has been stuffed with 45 minutes of badly written, drably performed "character drama"? Heck yes 1.5x, arguably it saves braincells.

The issue for me is about pacing, and whether the pacing is used deliberately to create a particular mood or feeling (I choose Stalker deliberately as an example because it's pacing makes it hard to get into, but creates a mood that enhances the film) or is just the result of a screenwriter aiming for a particular runtime. In particular the expanding runtime of blockbuster type fare is to blame here, I need bubblegum action films like Marvel films to be 2.5Hours+ about as much as a second hole in my arse - and yet, that's what the industry churns out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm hear listening to a song about a cat named Bartleby Finnegan for the millionth time (True Tunes if anyone is wondering). If I could get away with speeding it up x 10, I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished Jupiter's Legacy this evening

It is very poor, I'm not even sure why I finished it - maybe in the hope that it might have been Ozarkesque with a slow build up to a powerful ending, but no such joy. I have no idea if it's getting a second season but I definitely won't be watching it if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Spider-Man: Far from Home
    Even your friendly neighborhood superhero can use a vacation. But a new threat forces Peter Parker to swing into action during a school trip to Europe.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Interesting.. I assumed Disney+ had exclusivity on Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Interesting.. I assumed Disney+ had exclusivity on Marvel.

Sony still has licence on Spiderman AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd actually like to watch Tenet again with subtitles this time, hadn't a clue what they were saying in most scenes

Advertisement