Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Interesting.. I assumed Disney+ had exclusivity on Marvel.

There's a ton of Marvel stuff on Apple TV. I'm not sure if it's streaming or you have to rent it but it's there. I was surprised to see it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Earthhorse wrote: »
    There's a ton of Marvel stuff on Apple TV. I'm not sure if it's streaming or you have to rent it but it's there. I was surprised to see it.

That's to buy/rent. There's no limitation on that sort of thing only what's available under streaming subscriptions. Those films are all on amazon, google play/youtube, rakuten etc too.

Netflix did a deal with Sony recently I think so that's probably why the Spiderman stuff is showing up there.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Finished Jupiter's Legacy this evening

It is very poor, I'm not even sure why I finished it - maybe in the hope that it might have been Ozarkesque with a slow build up to a powerful ending, but no such joy. I have no idea if it's getting a second season but I definitely won't be watching it if it does.

I think they really doubled down on teasing the second season throughout the first.
    Brave move. Probably a stupid move. I don't think we'll be finding out what happened on the island.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think they really doubled down on teasing the second season throughout the first.
    Brave move. Probably a stupid move. I don't think we'll be finding out what happened on the island.

Did it not explicitly show what happened on the island in season 1?
    they went for a hike for a couple of days and didn't kill each other (which is apparently a massive achievement lol) so an alien thing on one of Jupiter's moons gave them super powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did it not explicitly show what happened on the island in season 1?
    they went for a hike for a couple of days and didn't kill each other (which is apparently a massive achievement lol) so an alien thing on one of Jupiter's moons gave them super powers.

Kinda, I just sort of felt there was a bit more to follow.
    They didn't do a whole lot to explain the Who or the Why around the island.

They were also deliberately vague around Skyfox's fate too. Another gamble they might regret as he seemed like one of the stronger characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's to buy/rent. There's no limitation on that sort of thing only what's available under streaming subscriptions. Those films are all on amazon, google play/youtube, rakuten etc too.

Netflix did a deal with Sony recently I think so that's probably why the Spiderman stuff is showing up there.

For me Nomadland, F&WS and Wandavision are all available to watch for free on Apple TV on my iPad, maybe it's a somehow linked to my Disney+ app?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd actually like to watch Tenet again with subtitles this time, hadn't a clue what they were saying in most scenes

That's due to them speaking backwards. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pixelburp wrote: »
    I remember it mentioned that some US networks will take short format shows (like Big Bang Theory) and play the episodes at 1.1 or 1.2 speed to slightly compress the run-time, allowing for one more ad-break - without it being too obvious the episode was sped up.
    Slight changes aren't that noticeable. Been done forever for cinema.

24 frames per second at the movies played at 25 frames a second on European TV. There's a minute right there on a half an hour slot.

For years they were compressing live talk radio. They'd start with a slight delay and make up the time by skipping silences and pauses to squeeze an ad every break.

I'd be surprised if the same technology wasn't in use for video by now. A second or two cut at each scene change if there's no vocals. Or shorten the laughter. Easy to take out another minute.

Talking over credits / splitting the screen to show upcoming programs. Another 15-30 seconds.

One really annoying thing on foreign sport TV is playing a 5-10 second ad when the ball goes out of play.

Cutting politically incorrect bits from old stuff so you can fit in more ad time ? That's a win/win.

What's worse is that they are using CGI product placement in old movies nowadays.

/RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Kinda, I just sort of felt there was a bit more to follow.
    They didn't do a whole lot to explain the Who or the Why around the island.

They were also deliberately vague around Skyfox's fate too. Another gamble they might regret as he seemed like one of the stronger characters.

Yeah, big swing and a miss there

Waiting for Skyfox was the only thing keeping it going but the finale was terrible

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For me Nomadland, F&WS and Wandavision are all available to watch for free on Apple TV on my iPad, maybe it's a somehow linked to my Disney+ app?

Yes the TV app can show all the content from other apps you subscribe to, except live content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Army Of The Dead

One of the stupidest movies I have seen for quite some time. Two and a half hours of shít. I found it to be shockingly bad, and I'm a horror fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Army Of The Dead

One of the stupidest movies I have seen for quite some time. Two and a half hours of shít. I found it to be shockingly bad, and I'm a horror fan.

It’s not exactly a horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Baggio: The Divine Ponytail
    The story of Roberto Baggio, one of the best soccer players of all time, including his career highs, triumphs over injuries and discovery of Buddhism.

High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America
    Black food is American food. Chef and writer Stephen Satterfield traces the delicious, moving throughlines from Africa to Texas in this docuseries

Nail Bomber: Manhunt
    This documentary examines the 1999 London bombings that targeted Black, Bangladeshi and gay communities, and the race to find the far-right perpetrator.

Exorcist: The Beginning
    Sent to Africa at the close of World War II to tend to the needs of the local community, Father Lankester Merrin gets more than he ever bargained for when he has his first brush with a devilish force known simply as Pazuzu.

7 Yards: The Chris Norton Story
    he true story of former college football player Chris Norton, who defied the odds after a devastating accident -- with the woman he loves by his side.

Close Enough season 2
    A married couple tries to keep ⁠-- and stay ⁠-- cool as they move on from partying in their 20s to parenting in their 30s in this adult animated series.

added

• Subscribers Posts: 41,492 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm looking forward to nail bomber

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to nail bomber

i was living in London at the time working for an irish retail business and we got a visit from the police warning us that they had reason to believe an irish business would be targeted . we were a few streets away from old compton street when the bomb went off . the chaos after was unbelievable . very scary couple of weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'd actually like to watch Tenet again with subtitles this time, hadn't a clue what they were saying in most scenes

Seen Tenet in the cinema and felt the same. Recently watched it on Sky Movies with Subs and it makes so much more sense. Missed a lot of the dialogue in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

'Kicking and Screaming' was recently added to Netflix. It's Noah Baumbach's directorial debut. I've enjoyed his work before so gave it a whirl. I nearly didn't stick with it because the first ten minutes or so was pretty pretentious but I'm so glad I did. It's a low-key gem with a few very funny moments and clever dialogue. You get sucked in and it uses flashback well. I'd put it in the same genre as 'Reality Bites'.

What's interesting is that its cast didn't take off. You know when you're watching an indie or small film from the '90s and it's unbelievable how many future big stars were in it? Well, sadly, that didn't happen for these actors, even though they're all very good. Probably the best known cast members are Parker Posey and Eric Stoltz.

But anyway, I'd recommend it, especially to anyone who has liked other Baumbach films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Army Of The Dead

It's an homage to Kelly's Heroes or The Dirty Dozen, it's grand for what it is,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Seen Tenet in the cinema and felt the same. Recently watched it on Sky Movies with Subs and it makes so much more sense. Missed a lot of the dialogue in the cinema.

Bit off topic on this thread but I watch everything with subtitles these days. A lot of films have the music/effects very loud and I need to turn it down and then the dialogue comes on and it's the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Army Of The Dead

One of the stupidest movies I have seen for quite some time. Two and a half hours of sh I found it to be shockingly bad, and I'm a horror fan.

Watched this at the weekend and absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

Watched this at the weekend and absolutely loved it.

Absolutely rubbish, I'm all for heist and zombie movies but this was long drawn out with zero character development. Attempted to throw in some laughs which didn't work and every zombie / heist cliché was included.

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Klonker wrote: »
    Bit off topic on this thread but I watch everything with subtitles these days. A lot of films have the music/effects very loud and I need to turn it down and then the dialogue comes on and it's the opposite.

Yep we watch everything with subs at home now, makes it far more enjoyable and also means we can happily watch foreign stuff aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭dougm1970

currently binge watching 'startup'....i think its very good...gets better each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Definitely true, I am hard of hearing anyway but using subtitles makes a film so much easier to gollow especially dialogue with difficult to understand accents.

Ragnarok Season 2
    In a Norwegian town poisoned by pollution and rattled by melting glaciers, the End Times feel all too real. It'll take a legend to battle an old evil.

Black Space season 1 (Israeli)
    A rogue detective with unorthodox means leads an investigation into a massacre committed by unicorn mask-wearing assassins at an Israeli high school.

Blue Miracle
    To save their cash-strapped orphanage, a guardian and his kids partner with a washed-up boat captain for a chance to win a lucrative fishing competition.

The Day I lost My Shadow (Syria)
    As winter hits hard and resources run low in Damascus, a single mom heads to the war-scarred outskirts looking for gas to prepare her son a warm meal.

Soy Rada: Serendipity
    The delightful Argentine comic Agustín Aristarán (aka Soy Rada) is back, this time putting the spotlight on family and parenting, magic and music.

added

I've noticed the same thing too, I think its something to do with the audio compression on streaming services. It's been much less of a problem since I splurged on a decent sound bar, it even has a setting that makes dialog louder than background noise which is a godsend at times.

Are you watching on a TV? There's an option in audio settings which improves the sound; I think it's Dolby 5.1 (Original) or something like that. Makes a big difference.

I don't find the problem happens when watching on my iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

dougm1970 wrote: »
    currently binge watching 'startup'....i think its very good...gets better each episode.

Was recommended to me as well
    Going to start it at weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Any reason why subtitles didn't come on when the Russians were speaking in Start Up? I had to switch subs on and then off when those scenes ended, I watch Netflix through the virgin box.

Advertisement