Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

dougm1970 wrote: »
    currently binge watching 'startup'....i think its very good...gets better each episode.

km79 wrote: »
    Was recommended to me as well
    Going to start it at weekend

I watched up to mid-way of third season (need to return); there's some implausible/unlikely stuff in it if memory serves, but the main three different lifestyle/career inputs of the protagonists make it pretty interesting, making for clever and compelling stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Klonker wrote: »
    Bit off topic on this thread but I watch everything with subtitles these days. A lot of films have the music/effects very loud and I need to turn it down and then the dialogue comes on and it's the opposite.

Same. Glad to hear it’s not just me. Or I’ll leave the subtitles off and accept that I’ll have to spend the entire film adjusting the volume up and down. I find that old films are especially bad for this and I’m sure there’s a good technical reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭hold my beer

dougm1970 wrote: »
    currently binge watching 'startup'....i think its very good...gets better each episode.

I got bored of it about 4 episodes in. Felt it was a poor imitation of Silicon Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I got bored of it about 4 episodes in. Felt it was a poor imitation of Silicon Valley

I watched the first two and gave up, was doing nothing for me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it's a drama, not a comedy so there's only a bit of similarity in them being small IT outfits. I think it starts off slowly enough but it does get better but not so much better that I feel it's worth pushing through if it's done nothing for you so far.
    It also annoyingly unresolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Kominsky Method: Season 3 (WOOOOOOOOOOOOO)
    Alan Arkin may not be returning alongside Michael Douglas for this final outing for Netflix’s comedy, but Kathleen Turner will be back to play Ruth, the ex-wife of Douglas’ once-famous actor, Sandy Kominsky

Lucifer: Season 5, Part 2
    Netflix’s revived series, based on comic book characters created by Neil Gaiman, returns once more for the second part if its penultimatee season, with Tom Ellis once again turning on the charm as Lucifer.

Dog Gone Trouble
    The privileged life of a pampered dog named Trouble is turned upside-down when he gets lost and must learn to survive on the big-city streets.

The Least Expected Day: Inside the Movistar Team 2019 (El día menos pensado) season 2
    Pro cycling's Movistar Team sets their sights on victory while on the road as they face challenges, controversy and internal conflict

Word of Honor season 1
    A disillusioned royal magistrate sets out for the martial arts world, where he encounters a bosom friend and becomes entangled in a conspiracy.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    It’s not exactly a horror!

It's a comedy. I thought it was great fun. Really enjoyed it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »

I hope his acting is still as over the top and crap as it was in Karate Kid 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I hope his acting is still as over the top and crap as it was in Karate Kid 3

Complete with insanely casual racism? :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Complete with insanely casual racism? :D

Let's hope so :pac:

He better get a few maniacal laughs while he stands hiding in the dark watching people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

The Kominsky Method: Season 3 (WOOOOOOOOOOOOO)
    Alan Arkin may not be returning alongside Michael Douglas for this final outing for Netflix’s comedy, but Kathleen Turner will be back to play Ruth, the ex-wife of Douglas’ once-famous actor, Sandy Kominsky

Aw no Norman? Say it ain't so... :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I started Alice in Borderland yesterday. 3 friends in Tokyo walk out of a train station bathroom to find everyone else has disappeared and while trying to figure out what happened they're pulled into a series of games where they either clear them, or die.

Two eps in and it's weird, but enjoyable. I'm wondering how long the premise remains interesting for. But so far so good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I started Alice in Borderland yesterday. 3 friends in Tokyo walk out of a train station bathroom to find everyone else has disappeared and while trying to figure out what happened they're pulled into a series of games where they either clear them, or die.

Two eps in and it's weird, but enjoyable. I'm wondering how long the premise remains interesting for. But so far so good.

The first season is 8 episodes - I had similar concerns to yourself at first, but was pleasantly surprised at how things developed.

There has been a teaser for S2 but no official confirmation/announcement nor date. I'm hoping we get more of it, I'd like to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's a remake of Alice in Borderlands (2014) I think

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fysh wrote: »
    The first season is 8 episodes - I had similar concerns to yourself at first, but was pleasantly surprised at how things developed.

There has been a teaser for S2 but no official confirmation/announcement nor date. I'm hoping we get more of it, I'd like to see where it goes.

I just watched episode 3 and it took a turn I wasn't expecting. Definitely not following the formulaic path I thought it would.

Hancock
    Will Smith stars as Hancock, a down-and-out superhero who's forced to employ a public relations expert to help repair his image.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Hancock
    Will Smith stars as Hancock, a down-and-out superhero who's forced to employ a public relations expert to help repair his image.

added
    Oooh, great! I love this movie in all its silliness! A nice one to watch tonight with the 90 year ol Mammy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's a remake of Alice in Borderlands (2014) I think

Based on a manga but didn't realise there was an anime.
    Might have a look for it though may just wait for more of the live action version as really liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Watched Army of the Dead on the basis of the somewhat positive comments here. What absolute rubbish. Way too long, terrible predictable story and weak acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lads, army of the dead is a zombie heist movie. Were people expecting Citizen Kane or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I just watched episode 3 and it took a turn I wasn't expecting. Definitely not following the formulaic path I thought it would.

Ep 3 was one of the biggest WTF moments I've had. It becomes almost a different programme later on but still very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lads, army of the dead is a zombie heist movie. Were people expecting Citizen Kane or what?

Something can be a piece of entertainment and still a good film, they're not mutually exclusive. I found AotD to be a slog that I kept watching in the hopes it might pick up but it just didn't. The characters were dull and paper thin, the plot was full of holes and the attempt to make zombies "more interesting" was imo daft and actually took away what makes zombies scary which is there mindless relentlessness. The actual heist as well was crap and was over within 10/15 minutes of a 2 and a half hour movie.

I only have myself to blame for the watching the whole thing but I honestly don't think my expectations being too high was the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Being a ‘dumb fun’ film is no excuse for being a badly
    made film. Plenty of silly, absurd movies that are tremendously well made on their own terms.

And it’s not like a zombie film can’t be damn good: Dawn of the Dead (Romero) is a genuine masterpiece of cinema, and Train To Busan is one of the most purely entertaining films of the last few years.

Heck, One Cut of the Dead is on Film4 late tonight and then the All4 player... now *that* (while arguably not really a zombie film in the traditional sense) is a tremendously fun film, and no excuses have to be made for it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

It was an unbelievably stupid movie. Acting awful. Characters nobody could give a shít about.
    That bit where the girl confesses her feelings for dave batista's character has to be one of the most embarrassing movie moments in history!
    A terrible terrible movie.
    Why not make a good zombie heist movie instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I liked army of the dead,I didn't take it seriously.

Bo Burnham: Inside
    A new comedy special shot and performed by Bo Burnham, alone, over the course of the past year.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I knew exactly what I was getting into - a mindless zombie action movie. But it didn't deliver on anything. It wasn't fun, there were no memorable action scenes and overall surprisingly boring. How can you make a 2.5 hour heist movie with zombies boring?! Could have easily cut the first 30 minutes of the movie and you wouldn't have missed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Bo Burnham: Inside
    A new comedy special shot and performed by Bo Burnham, alone, over the course of the past year.

added

I find it near impossible to watch any comedians anymore as the switch the camera angle ever 10 seconds and it is incredibly jarring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Being a ‘dumb fun’ film is no excuse for being a badly
    made film. Plenty of silly, absurd movies that are tremendously well made on their own terms.

And it’s not like a zombie film can’t be damn good: Dawn of the Dead (Romero) is a genuine masterpiece of cinema, and Train To Busan is one of the most purely entertaining films of the last few years.

Heck, One Shot of the Dead is on Film4 late tonight and then the All4 player... now *that* (while arguably not really a zombie film in the traditional sense) is a tremendously fun film, and no excuses have to be made for it whatsoever.
    One Cut of the Dead.
    ps thanks; wanted to see this for ages, so just downloaded it from 4Film.

Advertisement