Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (UK):
    The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann
    6 Underground
    Murder Mystery
    The Witcher
    The Irishman
    After Life
    Stranger Things 3
    Our Planet
    Sex Education
    Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes: Limited Series

Top 10 Most Popular Series Releases of 2019 (UK):
    The Witcher
    After Life
    Stranger Things
    Sex Education
    The Umbrella Academy
    You
    Unbelievable
    Top Boy
    Black Mirror
    Dirty John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Downsizing is a great thought-provoking, yet entertaining watch. Would you/wouldn’t you?

Must get out tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Rfrip wrote: »
    Enjoyed the guilty, had me hooked from the start

Just watched it now and it was excellent, but so intense. Herself is now watching the documentary on Dirty Dancing to wind down

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm planning The West, The Civil War and Prohibition. That's 20+ hours, should keep me going for a while.

Think I might join you on that. New year's resolution - watch more documentaries and less mindless drivel!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Think I might join you on that. New year's resolution - watch more documentaries and less mindless drivel!

Have you seen the staircase, it's the best of the lot imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

job seeker wrote: »
    I didn’t think Evil Genius was near as full on (or as good), as Don’t fcuk with cats..

it wasnt, but good all the same..

anyone have an idea of something similar next for me??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

mrmorgan wrote: »

I loved both. Going to watch The Staircase next based on suggestions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Wick 3 is there this morning :)

The awful Hellboy reboot as well.

All singing and all dancing La La Land there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Took the advice of previous posters and went in blind. Silly off-putting title it may be, but binge-watched all 3 episodes of Don't F**ck with Cats with the wife, who is quite squeamish; if she can get over the initial part in episode 1, most people can I'd say.
    It's a riveting watch, from start finish, which snowballs in the stakes at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

La la land is streaming again

The Neighbor
    Thirty-something Javier struggles to handle adulthood and his girlfriend. Maybe, he doesn’t want to handle it either. One day, his life suddenly changes when he receives the powers of a superhero. Based on the comic by Santiago García and Pepo Pérez.

The Degenerates: Season 2 – 31st December
    Six stand-ups explore the coarse and salacious side of comedy

Ask Dr. Ruth
    Known for her charming candor on bedroom business, well-known sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer reflects on her painful past and the art of pleasure.

The great escape

Hellboy ( remake)

Missing Link
    To help him find his relatives in a hidden kingdom, a fabled yeti agrees to let an explorer -- desperate for a win -- prove to his peers that he exists

Mrs. Lowry & Son
    British painter L.S. Lowry tries to pursue his passion for art while living with a bitter and bedridden mother who takes a dim view of his vocation

John wick 3 - Parabellum

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

more detailed list for January

1st January

Won’t You Be My Neighbour?
    Morgan Neville examines the life and legacy of US children’s TV presenter Fred Rogers in this documentary.

Messiah: Season 1
    The 10-part drama follows the modern world’s reaction to a man who appears in the Middle East claiming to be the Messiah, explores the lines between religion, faith and politics. Michelle Monaghan stars as CIA officer Eva Geller, who uncovers information about a man (Mehdi Dehbi) gaining international attention through acts of public disruption. She begins an investigation into his origins, but as he continues to cultivate followers who allege he’s performing miracles, the global media become increasingly beguiled by this charismatic figure, and Geller must race to unravel the mystery of whether he really is a divine entity or a deceptive con artist capable of dismantling the world’s geopolitical order.

Spinning Out: Season 1
    After a devastating fall threatens her competitive skating career, Kat Baker (Kaya Scodelario) seizes an opportunity to pursue her Olympic dreams, but at the risk of losing everything. Spinning Out follows Kat as she battles her personal demons and faces drama both on and off the ice.
    Breakdown
    The Bride of Habaek: Season 1
    Deep Water: Season 1
    Drillbit Taylor
    Drugs, Inc.: Season 6
    Fall Girls
    Inspector Gadget: Season 4
    Jeff Dunham: Unhinged in Hollywood
    Kung Fu Dhamaka: Season 1
    Oddbods: Season 2
    It Takes Two
    Mean Machine
    Pope Francis: A Man of His Word
    Reply 1998: Season 1
    The Stepford Wives
    The Terminal

2nd January
    The Hustle
    Sex, Explained
    Thieves of the Wood: Season 1

3rd January
    Anne With an E: Season 3
    Life isn’t about finding yourself, it’s about creating yourself. Learn that and countless other life lessons in the third and final season of Netflix’s charming, inspiring and progressive adaptation of Anne of Green Gables.

All the Freckles in the World
    Thirteen-year-old José Miguel is immune to 1994 World Cup fever… until he realises soccer is the only way to win the heart of his crush.
    Die Ontwaking

4th January
    Cuckoo: Season 5
    Go! Go! Cory Carson: Season 1

6th January
    Super Hero Girls: Season 1
    Power: Season 6, Episode 11

7th January
    Wonder Woman
    Live Twice, Love Once

8th January
    Cheer: Season 1
    The creators of Last Chance U turn to cheerleading in this new Netflix documentary that promises heart, heft and real human drama, as well as some slick cheerleading moves.

10th January
    Titans: Season 2
    DC’s gritty take on Teen Titans follows Dick Grayson (Brenton Thwaites), aka the former Robin, who emerges from the shadows to lead a band of new heroes – including Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and others. The series follows this group of young heroes as they come of age and find belonging.

AJ and the Queen: Season 1
    The scripted comedy series follows a drag queen on a road trip across America. RuPaul plays Ruby Red, the bigger-than-life but down-on-her-luck drag queen, accompanied by AJ, a recently orphaned, tough-talking, scrappy 11-year-old stowaway. As these two misfits – one tall, one small – travel from city to city, Ruby’s message of love and acceptance winds up touching people and changing their lives for the better. Oh, and RuPaul performs a killer musical number in every drag club she finds.

Zumbo’s Just Desserts: Season 2
    Australian pastry chef Adriano Zumbo fronts this cooking contest, which sees 12 amateur bakers attempting to recreate his most extravagant desserts in this colourful culinary series back for second helpings.

Until Dawn: Season 1
    France’s funniest comics carry out ghastly tasks as they try to outlast — and outwit — one another while overnighting in haunted locations.

The InBESTigators: Season 2
    Solving mysteries after finishing up their homework. The sharpest young sleuths around return as the charming Australian mockumentary is back for a second season.

Jamtara: Season 1
    A story based on true events around the phishing scams that take place in the city of Jamtara, Jharkhand. A group of young men scam people across the country over simple phone calls. You may not know them but they most definitely have your number already. You’re just one phone call away from losing your life savings.
    Harvey Girls Forever!: Season 4
    Medical Police: Season 1
    The Good Place: Season 4, Episode 10

13th January
    Power: Season 6, Episode 12

14th January
    Leslie Jones: Time Machine
    The comedian, actress and Emmy Award-nominated SNL alum has seen wild times, crazy experiences, celebrity encounters and a few awkward mishaps over the years of her career. Now older, and enlightened, the comedian imparts her hilarious wisdom on all ages.

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts: Season 1
    A sheltered girl in a world of mutant animals gets a crash course in survival when an attack sends her to the surface.

15th January
    Grace and Frankie: Season 6
    Don’t miss one last chance to bid farewell to Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin’s eponymous two friends, as they return for a sixth and final season.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez
    From the studio that brought you Making a Murderer and Evil Genius, witness the rise and fall of the infamous athlete Aaron Hernandez. How can someone who had everything throw it all away?

16th January
    NiNoKuni
    Two average teens go on a magical quest to save the life of their friend and her counterpart from another world

17th January
    Hip-Hop Evolution: Season 4
    Nailed It! Germany: Season 1
    The Good Place: Season 4, Episode 11

17th January
    Ares: Season 1
    Netflix’s first Dutch original series is an eight-part horror that dives into a secret student society in the heart of Amsterdam where best friends Rosa and Jacob surrender to a world of wealth and power. But slowly they start to realise they’ve entered a demonic place, built on secrets from the Netherlands’ past. A place where true power comes at a terrible price.

Sex Education: Season 2
    Netflix’s coming-of-age comedy, which stars Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield, follows Otis Milburn, a socially awkward high school student who lives with his sex therapist mother, Jean. In Season 1, Otis and his friend Maeve Wiley (Emma Mackey) set up a sex clinic at school to capitalise on his intuitive talent for sex advice. In Season 2, as a late bloomer, Otis must master his newly discovered urges in order to progress with his girlfriend, while also dealing with his now-strained relationship with Maeve.

A Fall from Grace
    When gentle, law-abiding Grace confesses to killing her new husband, her skeptical young lawyer sets out to uncover the larger conspiracy at play.

19th January
    It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 14
    Your favourite five selfish underachievers return for the 14th run of FX’s worryingly entertaining comedy.

20th January
    Power: Season 6, Episode 13

23rd January
    Riverdale: Season 4, Part 2
    Brace yourselves to finally find out the answer to the Jughead mystery as Riverdale’s excellent fourth season returns for its second half. Episodes arrive weekly, within 24 hours of their US debut.

24th January
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 3
    The dark incarnation of the teenage witch, pitched somewhere between Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, with a hint of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, returns to continue reimagining Sabrina’s coming-of-age story, as the 16-year-old wrestles to reconcile her dual nature — half-witch, half-mortal — while standing against the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit. Season 3 sees a mysterious carnival roll into town, bringing with it a threat to the Spellmans and the coven: a tribe of pagans looking to resurrect an ancient evil. And, with no one on the throne, Sabrina must defend it against a challenger, the handsome Prince of Hell Caliban.
    The Good Place: Season 4, Episode 12

27th January
    Power: Season 6, Episode 14

29th January
    Dunkirk
    Night on Earth: Season 1
    The wonders of the nocturnal world reveal themselves like never before in this nature documentary series.

30th January
    Riverdale: Season 4, Episode 11

31st January
    BoJack Horseman: Season 6, Part 2
    Get ready for the final, final episodes of the bittersweet, brilliant and bold adult animation starring Will Arnett.

Ragnarok: Season 1
    From the creator of Borgen, Adam Price, the coming-of-age drama builds on and contributes to a new and surprising angle on Norse mythology. The series is set in the small, fictitious town of Edda, situated in the grand, breathtaking Norwegian nature. The story revolves around its inhabitants, who are perhaps not all who they claim to be. With them, we experience a drastically changing world: melting poles, warm winters, violent downpours. Some might say we’re headed for yet another Ragnarok. Unless someone intervenes in time…
    The Good Place: Season 4, Episode 13
    The Good Place: Season 4, Episode 14

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    Missing Link
    To help him find his relatives in a hidden kingdom, a fabled yeti agrees to let an explorer -- desperate for a win -- prove to his peers that he exists

I've seen this mentioned several times on lists of underrated animated films. It's the same studio as ParaNorman, Boxtrolls and Kubo and the Two Strings, which are all pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Long Shot is an enjoyable film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen this mentioned several times on lists of underrated animated films. It's the same studio as ParaNorman, Boxtrolls and Kubo and the Two Strings, which are all pretty good.

It wouldn't be Laikas best, which probably remains Kubo, but Missing Link was fun with lots of giggles and a decent (if cliché) heart in its story. Definitely underrated, but Laikas films tend to pass the cinemas undetected, which is a shame.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It wouldn't be Laikas best, which probably remains Kubo, but Missing Link was fun with lots of giggles and a decent (if cliché) heart in its story. Definitely underrated, but Laikas films tend to pass the cinemas undetected, which is a shame.

I agree. I saw something the other day comparing the character designs of a bunch of films where the main human character looked the same in all of them. It's a shame then when someone comes along with something completely different every time and they're overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

mrmorgan wrote: »

Yeah, evil genius was good in its own right! I suppose there’s no real point comparing the two different shows..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really looking forward to Messiah coming out tomorrow. The trailer looks very interesting and has created quite the discussion on twitter and reddit. One of the prominent theories is the show might actually be about Dajjal which in Islam is the Anti-Messiah comparable to the Antichrist. Looking forward to finding out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just watched Okja - I know it's been around since 2017 but only got around to watching it now

Very good film, it's impossible not to fall in love with Okja - it has a message that's been heard before but is realistic in it's execution. Directed by the same guy who did Snowpiercer which is another excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Still no sign of The Last Kingdom and Ozark's. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I watched Death Wish starring Bruce Willis, nothing really original about it but I was surprised how much I liked it. Some gruesome kills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Longing wrote: »
    Still no sign of The Last Kingdom and Ozark's. :(

Is Ozarks supposed to be soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

On episode 9 of You season 2. Just waiting for it to end now, it’s nowhere as good as season 1. I’m sure there will be a big twist at end of episode 10 but can’t really see a 3rd season at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There is a third season already confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

On episode 9 of You season 2. Just waiting for it to end now, it’s nowhere as good as season 1. I’m sure there will be a big twist at end of episode 10 but can’t really see a 3rd season at this stage.

Given how much shark jumping it has done in this season, I'm sure they'll pull something out of their arse to justify a 3rd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Lisha wrote: »
    Is Ozarks supposed to be soon?

Ozark will return to Netflix in early 2020

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-12-31/ozark-season-3-netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Longing wrote: »

I’m very happy to hear this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Think of the worst film you've seen,well the new hellboy remake is worse,trust me.

Two pope's is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Given how much shark jumping it has done in this season, I'm sure they'll pull something out of their arse to justify a 3rd season.

What is "shark jumping"? I've never heard of that phrase before.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    What is "shark jumping"? I've never heard of that phrase before.

Happy Days did an episode once where Fonzy literally jumped over a shark on a motorbike. Now it's used to refer to TV shows when they basically lose the run of themselves, run out of actual ideas, or just lose interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I'm watching The Greatest Events of WWII in Colour and it's very informative and shocking. I've learned stuff about the war that I never knew before. It can be very sad but very thought-provoking. The one about Dresden is nearly unbelievable but it's horrifying that it is true. I can't binge more than 3 episodes though, it's too much. I hope mankind never gets to that situation ever again!

Advertisement