Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Gone Baby Gone is worth a spin too. It's a fine moody thriller. Good cast, and engrossing plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any word on when we can expect a new season of Top Boy, fam?

FYP :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Anybody know where I can watch the Spanish series Ministry of Time?

I really enjoyed the first season and had not expected it to leave Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hell Freezes Over? Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Partners In Deal To Make Movies For Netflix
    What a difference two years and a global pandemic make. Steven Spielberg, who a couple of years ago was quoted — his camp maintains he never said it or anything he might have said was severely taken out of context — drawing a clear line between theatrically released films and streamer films, has berthed his Amblin Partners into a partnership with Netflix that will cover multiple new feature films per year. It shows once again the Netflix-led progress toward dissolving the lines between streamed and theatrical films and symbolically it is a big deal for Netflix’s Ted Sarandos and Scott Stuber.

The Netflix deal will co-exist side by side with the one Spielberg and Amblin have at Universal Pictures. Neither will have first shot at Amblin properties; Spielberg will make some films for Universal, and others to be made for Netflix. The expectation is that Amblin will generate multiple films per year for Netflix, which has a voracious appetite for content and releases a new film per week. Amblin’s Universal deal was extended last December, at which time comments reflected the possibility that a streaming deal might be in the offing......

https://deadline.com/2021/06/steven-spielberg-amblin-netflix-partnership-movies-the-trial-of-the-chicago-7-bradley-cooper-the-maestro-1234778665/

• Advertisement

I would wager it more likely what a difference a few zeros make.

Everyone has a price.

But to deny things were said?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Entirely possible this was another situation like Scorcese's comments on superhero flicks, where the nuance was completely lost in the translation to (clickbait) press. Spielberg has had a career that spanned a number of changes to the nature of cinema, TV and all points in between - I find it hard to believe he'd have completely shot down streaming as a concept. If others are saying his words were taken out of context? I'd well believe that.

As to the deal itself: well, if other recent blank cheques given to auteurs are taken as a guide, any Netflix Spielberg movie would be the Most Spielberg. Then again, if Netflix are expecting some classic Spielberg blockbusters they should have read his recent CV first; his best work these days are those projects with the smaller scale& scope.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

limnam wrote: »
    Cracking recommendation.

Really enjoyed this

If you have Prime Video there's another film called My Brother The Devil which is set in London with the same kind of set up, except it's two brothers at the centre of it. But much like Divines it does something a little different with the familiar tropes of inner city gangs that really makes it stand out from the repetitive and empty films of the same genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Watched Divines tonight. French film about a young girl living in the suburbs of Paris who gets involved with a local dealer to make some fast cash. It's outstanding, it really is. It's a very familiar story, but the writing, directing and acting just elevate it so much. Highly recommend it.

absolute cracker of a film. it got a 10 minute standing ovation in Cannes the year it was played. well deserved

pixelburp wrote: »
    Entirely possible this was another situation like Scorcese's comments on superhero flicks, where the nuance was completely lost in the translation to (clickbait) press. Spielberg has had a career that spanned a number of changes to the nature of cinema, TV and all points in between - I find it hard to believe he'd have completely shot down streaming as a concept. If others are saying his words were taken out of context? I'd well believe that.

As to the deal itself: well, if other recent blank cheques given to auteurs are taken as a guide, any Netflix Spielberg movie would be the Most Spielberg. Then again, if Netflix are expecting some classic Spielberg blockbusters they should have read his recent CV first; his best work these days are those projects with the smaller scale& scope.

I can’t really remember the whoopty-do that followed Scorcese's comments about superheroes, only that there was whoopty-do, but I know he said that superhero movies are “not cinema” or something and I assumed he meant that they are not art. Maybe they are not, neither are of his movies and so what. At least his daughter has a sense of humour about it.

I phrased my post badly earlier. What I actually meant was for Spielberg’s minions “to deny something was said that way” - to say he didn’t say anything and if if he did then it was taken out of context.

That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen in a long time.

And people are forgetting that an Amblin production doesn’t mean that Speilberg is directing or really involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mikhail wrote: »
    Gone Baby Gone is worth a spin too. It's a fine moody thriller. Good cast, and engrossing plot.

I went to see that knowing nothing about it and left the cinema in a state of shock.

Excellent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I went to see that knowing nothing about it and left the cinema in a state of shock.

Excellent movie.

I brought a first date to it back in the day. It certainly wasn't what she was expecting but I thought it was great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just finished Superstore
    Took a while to get in to but was an easy watch and enjoyable

Looking for something similar now .
    We have up on Community mid way through season 2 and don’t think we will go back
    Seen all the mainstream ones

Is Kim’s convenience worth a look ? Other one is Komisky method ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

km79 wrote: »
    Just finished Superstore

We have up on Community mid way through season 2 and don’t think we will go back

Yes to that one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,654 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

km79 wrote: »
    Just finished Superstore

I enjoy Kim's convenience it's very light but fun.
    I would always recommend parks and recreation if you haven't seen it, schitts creek is excellent as well.

If you aren't put off by animated shows, bobs burgers is fun, it's on Amazon prime and Disney plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

gmisk wrote: »
    I enjoy Kim's convenience it's very light but fun.
    I would always recommend parks and recreation if you haven't seen it, schitts creek is excellent as well.

If you aren't put off by animated shows, bobs burgers is fun, it's on Amazon prime and Disney plus.

Parks and schitts were the previous two I watched :D
    Both excellent

Too Hot to handle season 2
    On the shores of paradise, gorgeous singles meet and mingle. But there's a twist. To win a $100,000 grand prize, they'll have to give up sex.

Good on Paper
    After years of putting her career first, a stand-up comic meets a guy who seems perfect: smart, nice, successful... and possibly too good to be true.

The House of Flowers: The Movie (Spanish)
    The De La Mora siblings concoct a mischievous plan to break into their old family home to retrieve a hidden treasure of significant importance.

Murder by the Coast (French)
    In 1999, teen Rocío Wanninkhof is murdered. Her mother's ex-partner, Dolores Vázquez, is suspected. Did she do it? A second victim reveals the truth.

The Parisian Agency: Exclusive Properties Season 1
    This reality series follows the Kretz family and their luxury property business as they help clients buy and sell fabulous homes in France and abroad.

added

whats coming to netflix July early list

July 1st
    A Certain Magical Index: The Movie – The Miracle of Endymion
    An American Girl: Saige Paints the Sky
    An Officer and a Gentleman
    Assault on Precinct 13 (remake)
    Audible
    Code Red
    Could You Survive?: Season 1
    Crash Pad
    Dynasty Warriors (Chinese)
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    Generation 56k: Season 1 (Italian)
    L.A.’s Finest: Season 1
    Masameer County: Season 1 (Arabic)
    Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway (Japanese)
    My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising
    My Hero Academia: Season 1
    On the Job
    Pokémon Journeys: The Series
    Quarantine Tales: Season 1
    Rainbow Rangers: Season 1
    Say I Do
    The Land Before Time XIV: Journey of the Brave
    The Serpent: Limited Series (BBC)
    Winx Club: Season 6
    Young Royals: Season 1 (Swedish)

July 2nd
    Big Timber: Season 1
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
    Fear Street Part 1: 1994
    Haseen Dillruba (Hindi)
    Holiday on Mars [In Vacanza su Marte]
    Mortel: Season 2 (French)
    RattleSnake – The Ahanna Story
    The 8th Night (Korean)

July 4th
    We the People: Season 1

July 5th
    Midsommar
    You Are My Spring:Season 1 (Korean) [Weekly Episodes]

July 6th
    Born to Be Wild: Season 1
    I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson: Season 2

July 7th
    Cat People: Season 1
    Dogs: Season 2
    Major Grom: Plague Doctor (Russian)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    The Mire (Rojst): Season 2 (Polish)
    The War Next-door: Season 1 (Mexican)
    This Little Love Of Mine

July 8th
    Elize Matsunaga: Once Upon a Crime: Limited Series (Brazilian)
    RESIDENT EVIL: Infinite Darkness: Season 1

July 9th
    Atypical: Season 4
    Biohackers: Season 2 (German)
    Dora and the Lost City of Gold
    Fear Street Part 2: 1978
    How I Became a Superhero (French)
    How to Become a Tyrant: Season 1
    Last Summer [Geçen Yaz] (Turkish)
    Lee Su-geun: The Sense Coach (Korean)
    The Cook of Castamar: Season 1 (Spanish)
    The Water Man
    Virgin River: Season 3

July 10th
    Chicken Run
    Outback Lockdown: Season 1

July 13th
    Ridley Jones: Season 1

July 14th
    A Classic Horror Story (Italian)
    Heist: Season 1
    My Unorthodox Life: Season 1
    Private Network: Who Killed Manuel Buendía? (Mexican)
    The Guide to the Perfect Family

July 15th
    A Perfect Fit (Indonesian)
    BEASTARS: Season 2 (Japanese)
    Last Men in Aleppo
    My Amanda (Filipino)
    Never Have I Ever: Season 2
    Peppa Pig: Season 6

July 16th
    Crawl
    Deep (Thai)
    Fear Street Part 3: 1666
    Good Boys
    Johnny Test: Season 1 (Season 7)

July 21st
    Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans

July 23rd
    Blood Red Sky (German)
    Kingdom: Ashin of the North (Korean)
    (this is a prequel of sorts before season 3 arrives)
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation: Season 1
    Sky Rojo: Season 2 (Spanish)

July 29th
    Resort to Love

July 30th
    Centaurworld: Season 1
    Outer Banks: Season 2
    The Last Mercenary (French)

peteeeed wrote: »
    whats coming to netflix July early list

)

Is there a list of what is leaving soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Crawl" was a very effective bottle thriller; a woman and her dad trapped in a rapidly flooding house, an alligator somewhere in the waters. The stakes escalated at a natural pace that kept the tension high; the characters rarely made idiotic decisions; the FX were always solid, effective and convincingly crunchy. The whole thing buzzed with that perfect "B Movie" feel from a script that knew exactly what it was, what beats to hit and when - then dropping the mic at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't realise the new Kingdom was a prequel

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Didn't realise the new Kingdom was a prequel

It's a one off feature length episode to give the origin of the character they showed at the end of season 2 and set up season 3 if I'm not mistaken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think that particular character is noteworthy because she’s played by a very well known South Korean actress, which means the reveal played like gangbusters locally but is kind of a ‘what?’ for international audiences. Hopefully this special episode will close the recognition gap :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

When is S3 of Kingdom coming? I keep meaning to watch it but always end up starting something else.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's a one off feature length episode to give the origin of the character they showed at the end of season 2 and set up season 3 if I'm not mistaken.

correct

When is S3 of Kingdom coming? I keep meaning to watch it but always end up starting something else.

its still not been officially announced but hopefully it gets the go ahead once everything is back to normal

What the fúck? I mean, what the actual fúck?

The thing is, some in the audience would absolutely be into leaving the masks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,654 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Christ....well I suppose the masked singer/dancer are both big hits...

• Advertisement

I don’t watch reality TV and have always assumed that dating type shows are the dregs of the reality shows.

I saw this post and I thought “okay, this could be fun and the people choosing to date this way must be fun weirdos”

Then I watched the trailer and no they just types those other reality folks are.

Advertisement