Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Settled in to watch Bloodsport, a film I remember fondly from years ago. Lord was it cheesy and hilarious. But as ridiculous as it was
    you get this text at the end saying it was all true. And the guy was an actual guy that had a great military career, won the kumite, and opened up his own ninjitsu school.

So off I went googling and turns out he was probably lying about everything. The military denied he’d gone on the missions he claimed he’d been on, they denied he’d ever won the medals he’d claimed he’d won. He then said he couldn’t understand why they’d lie about him. Then it turns out the kumite never existed at all. So in the space of 5 minutes I went on quite the rollercoaster of plot twists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Happy Days did an episode once where Fonzy literally jumped over a shark on a motorbike. Now it's used to refer to TV shows when they basically lose the run of themselves, run out of actual ideas, or just lose interest.

CORRECTION REQUIRED!!!

He jumped over a shark on a waterskis, not a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Is Dracula hitting Netflix on the 4th of Jan or is it just starting on BBC that day?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is Dracula hitting Netflix on the 4th of Jan or is it just starting on BBC that day?
    BBC. It's highly unlikely we'll get to see it for many months on Netflix if other BBC shows are anything to go by.
    CORRECTION REQUIRED!!!

He jumped over a shark on a waterskis, not a motorbike!
    And skipped over a shark in a great homage in 'Arrested Development'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's starting tonight (1st) on BBC..

.. doubt it'll be on Netflix anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Ah well that's disappointing given they said it was a BBC Netflix coproduction from the get go, so would have thought it'd be different to the likes of Bodyguard and Line of Duty. Will have to try and catch it tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Actually, it looks like it'll be available on Netflix (presumably outside UK/IE) from Sunday alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Messiah season 1
    A wary CIA officer investigates a charismatic man who sparks a spiritual movement and stirs political unrest. A fictional story not based on true events

Spinning Out season 1
    A figure skating Olympic hopeful struggles to balance love, family and fragile mental health as her dream of winning takes a dizzying hold

Occupied season 3
    Lost in Translation
    Videodrome
    True Romance
    Along Came Polly
    Breakdown(1997)
    Christine
    Coming to America
    Deep Water season 1
    Back in Bondi Beach, where she grew up, DC Tori Lustigman investigates a gay man's murder and finds a link to her brother's death decades earlier

The Divergent Series: Allegiant - Part 1
    The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Dogtown and Z-Boys
    Drillbit Taylor

Drugs, Inc. season 2
    Friday Night Lights( the movie)
    Gladiator( not that one) 1992
    Two teens find themselves involved in illegal street fighting: one to earn money for his father, and the other as his ticket out of the ghetto

Groundhog Day
    The Heartbreak Kid

Heavy Metal
    A cult classic featuring a thumping metal soundtrack, this animated extravaganza centers on a menacing meteorite thought to be the root of all evil.

The Hungover Games
    Inspector Gadget season 4
    The Interview
    Jeff Dunham: Unhinged in Hollywood
    Mean Machine( vinnie Jones)
    The Money Pit
    The Nutty Professor( Eddie Murphy)
    Pokémon the Movie: Power of Us

Pope Francis: A Man of His Word
    Documentary filmmaker Wim Wenders travels the world with Pope Francis, recording the controversial pontiff's humanist views in a sharply divided age.

The Reef
    See No Evil, Hear No Evil
    Sense and Sensibility
    The Stepford Wives
    The Terminal
    Think Like a Man
    The To Do List
    Impractical jokers season 3&4

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re. The Divergent series, did that TV movie capper ever happen in the end? Seem to recall its star throwing a grenade into that idea with a "uh, no" after those films flopped an apathetic death.

Dead curious about that Messiah show though..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

peteeeed wrote: »
    Friday Night Lights( the movie)
    Added

Dann pity its not the series would give it a 5th watch if on NF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

peteeeed wrote: »
    Kevin Hart: Don't F**k This Up
    Amid turmoil in his career and marriage, comedian and film star Kevin Hart opens up about his personal breakthroughs as he navigates crises and fame

I watched this, and while it's not bad the only thing I really took away from it is just his astounding ego. The amount of times you'd see him ask someone a question (like Dave Chappele) only to interrupt him so he can answer it himself and give a little monologue about how great he is.

Don't get me wrong, the man has an incredible work ethic, but I can only tolerate so much arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Some of the reviews for the Messiah series are saying it's not good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This is one of the greatest ever sports movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is one of the greatest ever sports movies.

Yeah I’m gonna watch that again

Series is on prime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Some of the reviews for the Messiah series are saying it's not good

It got quite a good review in The Guardian.

The organisation behind the film is Lightworks media who are a "Faith and family" television company run by Derry born Roma Downey, who you probably don't remember was the star of eighties feelgood series "Touched By An Angel"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Masala wrote: »
    MY son was telling me the plot on this..... I am in shock!!

What is the world coming to......

Somewhat off topic but yer one that does that movies and booze section on moncrieff gave her top twenty movie of the decade, at number two was a documentary called “The Imposter”...searched high and low for it on all the rental apps and couldn’t find it only to discover the full film is on YouTube ad free. This story is nuts and the cat film has nothing on it. Highly recommend it to all of you. Very well made. Think it is on Netflix US by the way.

https://youtu.be/lX_WUhNbdJc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went to see Fighting with my Family in the cinema last year, really good film and a true story to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

“The Imposter”... This story is nuts and the cat film has nothing on it.
    What? Can't fail to disagree with you more. The Impostor is pretty interesting, and a little worrying. Don't F**k with Cats is batsh1t crazy and pretty disturbing; far superior to The Impostor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

What? Can't fail to disagree with you more. The Impostor is pretty interesting, and a little worrying. Don't F**k with Cats is batsh1t crazy and pretty disturbing; far superior to The Impostor.

From a film making stand point there’s no comparison between the two.

From a freak show point of view then the cat film probably beats it as every single participant in it are a freak show themselves, it’s sad stuff, but it’s Jeremy Kyle material, including the Facebook hunters or whatever they are.

From a plausibility point, I find the cat thing to be fairly unsurprising the way messed up online stuff is going. I don’t want to give spoilers away about the imposter but it’s an incredible story, and a very good documentary/film making which is more the point.

Have you watched the imposter? It has an ‘e’ in it if you are searching for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I can't stand Kevin Hart he's IMO the most overrated hack.
    They should give Katt Williams a Netflix special I know he went a bit nuts but dude is seriously hilarious, seems like Hart and Chappelle are the only black comics getting any mainstream attention any more.

On a side note, at a large dinner New Year's Day dinner consisting of my and my aunts family, my mother informed everyone that she planned to spend the rest of the evening watching a new Netflix series that she was enjoying called 'Nymphomaniac.'

She had called it that a few days before (its called Mythomaniac) and I corrected her, but I guess it didn't stick.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Went to see Fighting with my Family in the cinema last year, really good film and a true story to boot!

I watched this this evening and it's a bit of a weird one. It's not bad but it feels like it could be much much better. Florence Pugh really carries the whole thing and I found the opening scenes with the family a bit of a struggle. I know it's a true story and her family were important to her but the opening 20 minutes or so that featured them heavily felt a bit like a BBC sitcom rather than a film.
    I can see why some people would absolutely love this though and there are worse ways to spend an evening.

The Hustle
    When a small-time scammer meets an elite con artist, they join forces and employ outlandish tactics to swindle a billionaire's fortune

Sex, Explained
    From the biology of attraction to the history of birth control, explore the ins and outs of sex in this entertaining and enlightening series.

Thieves of the Wood
    Charismatic highwayman Jan de Lichte leads the oppressed and downtrodden in a revolt against the corrupt aristocracy of 18th-century Flanders.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

From a film making stand point there’s no comparison between the two.

From a freak show point of view then the cat film probably beats it as every single participant in it are a freak show themselves, it’s sad stuff, but it’s Jeremy Kyle material, including the Facebook hunters or whatever they are.

From a plausibility point, I find the cat thing to be fairly unsurprising the way messed up online stuff is going. I don’t want to give spoilers away about the imposter but it’s an incredible story, and a very good documentary/film making which is more the point.

Have you watched the imposter? It has an ‘e’ in it if you are searching for it.
    I hear what yer saying. Perhaps 'superior ' is too all-encompassing.
    Both pieces explore very different types of exploitation, and trace the story of their deeds, and tease out their backstory. The Impostor is better put together, to be sure. But in a slightly technical way, that's a documentary film; DFWC is a limited series, that milks shock value I suppose, leading to the Jeremy Kyle-style in-your-faceness of the talking heads etc that you refer to. My point is deny that this diminishes the sheer entertainment value of this limited series over the film. Even though DFWC is more low-brow, I found it far more entertaining, and troublesome, despite its cruder approach.
    (I'd highly recommend The Impostor though- it is a great story:))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not a fan of American football but really enjoyed Friday Night Lights after reading recommendations on here.
    It wasn't quite the happy ending I was expecting but that's life for you and I was gutted for them.

I then looked for the series on Amazon thinking they were linked and got rightly confused when I noticed The coaches wife is in both shows.:confused: I might start that over the weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Not a fan of American football but really enjoyed Friday Night Lights after reading recommendations on here.
    It wasn't quite the happy ending I was expecting but that's life for you and I was gutted for them.

I then looked for the series on Amazon thinking they were linked and got rightly confused when I noticed The coaches wife is in both shows.:confused: I might start that over the weekend.

They are loosely connected in that it's the same basic idea but they obviously changed things to suit the TV format.
    The TV show is one of the best shows of all time. It's better than the film, in my opinion, simply because you have much more time to spend with all the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

They are loosely connected in that it's the same basic idea but they obviously changed things to suit the TV format.
    The TV show is one of the best shows of all time. It's better than the film, in my opinion, simply because you have much more time to spend with all the characters.

Yup I've read plenty of glowing reviews about the series so I'm definitely going to give it a go, I've a series now coming to its end so I'll have time on my hands to get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yup I've read plenty of glowing reviews about the series so I'm definitely going to give it a go, I've a series now coming to its end so I'll have time on my hands to get stuck in.

Oh to be you getting to see it for the first time.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Not to be confused with Friday Night Dinners. A very funny comedy series from Channel 4. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Don't F**k with Cats.

Best thing I've seen in quite a while. Highly recommended.

Advertisement