Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The British French on was really good imo. I enjoyed it more than the Scandinavian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Third season was the last and was planned as the last so it is "complete", but while I genuinely liked the first season apart from the finale and the direction the story went, I thought S2 and S3 were completely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Yes - the tunnel. The crime occurs in the Channel Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

And a German/Austrian one, called Der Pass. It's pretty good (though it's on Sky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He actually was.

Sky One used to show Bob Ross in the mid-90s. But it was on like 10am week days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,617 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched episode one but rather like it so far. Bar the really awful OTT music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

was watching 'Maid' with herself, and we got as far as episode 6 before pulling the plug and googling what happens.

I think its possibly the most anxiety inducing thing we've ever watched, definitely not the sort of thing to watch if you want to relax and forget your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Howards End - When a husband, acting in his family's "best interest," does not accept his wife's deathbed wish, providence dictates that he pay for his duplicity

The Next Three Days - When his wife becomes a murder suspect and is sent to prison, a professor plots a meticulous plan to take back her freedom and reunite his family.

Quo vadis, Aida? (Serbian) - In 1995 Srebrenica, a translator strives to protect her family from Serbian troops and help thousands of civilians seeking protection at the U.N. base.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched Phil Wang's special over the weekend, having enjoyed him on Taskmaster I was a bit disappointed. It was funny but fairly generic and tame, it didn't jump out in the same way that James Acaster's specials did. Still enjoyable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I watched a Norwegian movie last night staring Naomi Rapace.

The Trip... It's about a strange couple going through a bad relationship and set out on a weekend get away to their holiday home in the woods.

This is a crazy dark comedy and I enjoyed every minute of it, totally bonkers and loads of over the top fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Anyone else having difficulty streaming tonight? Works on my iPad but not on my Mac. The browse screen won’t even load for me, just a blank page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Finished Perfume the other day. German murder thriller, quite good, kept me guessing and didn't hang about too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Like others loved Chestnut man and moved onto Valhalla murders now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Playing fine on my Vodafone TV box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Had problems on the nowtv Netflix app so assume it's related.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,617 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Both really good, chestnut man probably slightly better for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quo Vadis, Aida? has been added - one of the best films of the past year. Set largely in a UN base, it focuses on one translator’s effort to save her family against the backdrop of the Srebrenica massacre. It’s a compassionate study of the human response to unspeakable horror, but also a damning critique of those who do nothing to save lives or hide behind heartless formalities in times of disaster. Not an easy watch, but an essential one.

The Spokeswoman (Spanish) María de Jesús Patricio -- also known as Marichuy -- is the first Indigenous woman to run for president of Mexico, with a modest but radical campaign

Theo Von: Regular People - Comedian and podcaster Theo Von holds court with some wild tales about "regular people" from his small-town life in this stand-up special.

In for a Murder (Polish) - A stay-at-home mom and avid reader of crime stories discovers the deepest secrets of a small town's residents while investigating a woman's murder

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Bridge was shown on bbc4 about a year ago over few Sat/Sun nights. I missed it, and it’s a tough one to catch on any tv or streaming. It’s one of the few big series I haven’t seen.

Amazon Prime seems to have season 2 of the US version. I like all things Mexico/Juarez but can’t watch it without seeing season 1. I don’t believe it’s up to the heights of the original Swedish show anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see Maid is doing big numbers. I don't see a lot of conversation around it (outside of here) so I'm pleasantly surprised. It's on track to beat The Queen's Gambit as Netflix's most watched scripted limited series. I haven't gotten to finish it yet because my broadband has been off for a week and won't be back for another week, but with only 2 eps left it's one of the best shows I've watched this year, and definitely one of Netflix's best original series.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1450564897599754244?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I certainly prefer it over The Queens Gambit. I hope it's success leads to other similar shows been green lit and not an unnecessary move away from it being a limited season and developing a second season instead.

Found - After DNA tests reveal them to be cousins, three girls adopted by different American families travel to China in hopes of meeting their birth parents.

Stuck Together (French) - When Paris goes into lockdown during the pandemic, the quirky residents of an apartment building must adjust to a new life -- and one another.

Night Teeth - A young driver picks up two mysterious women for a night of party hopping. But when his passengers reveal their true nature, he must fight to stay alive

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Night Teeth looks like it could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭archfi

Stuck Together is going on my list

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I've had Found on my list since I saw the trailer a few weeks ago. All 3 of those sound good actually. Raging I'm without Internet at home for another week! 😤

Interesting article about Netflix viewing figures here. I knew about the 2 minutes watching being counted as viewers but the completion rates are interesting. They're also changing the way they do it, counting hours watched instead of number of viewers.

https://twitter.com/guardianculture/status/1450775947334938625?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I had a quick read of the article. Wouldn't that mean shows with longer/more episodes would rank higher?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it still doesn't seem like the best metric for viewing figures, to be honest. The completion stats are probably the only ones that seem relevant. It mentions in there too that Sex Education launched on the same day as Squid Games and did just as well but hasn't had any of the fanfare. I suppose anyone watching S3 of Sex Education on the day it's released has already seen S1&2, so already has an account, and probably has for a while. Hyping something new up is maybe more likely to attract people who haven't got accounts. It's especially weird considering, as people have pointed out, there are shows/films very similar to Squid Game, Alice in Borderland being the obvious one, that have been on Netflix for ages but didn't get any of the hype or promotion.

I was hugely surprised when Netflix renewed Warrior Nun for a second season. Apart from releasing a trailer for it they didn't give it much attention or promote it, but apparently it had really big numbers globally in it's month of release, and presumably a high completion rate, and yet most people probably don't even know it's on there, never mind that there's a 2nd season coming.

It's interesting to see the company in the UK figured out better ways of measuring things and are making money off it. Good for them.

Advertisement