Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Series 1 is good. Great entertainment. I started off watching season 2 fairly quickly after finishing season 1 and, for some reason which I cannot explain, I just stopped watching it after one episode. I don't know why. Might get back into it again. But there is so much to watch now, that we spoilt for choice and You never comes into consideration.

Or maybe the other poster here is correct - and it just is terrible and I was easily pleased for season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

As far as I remember it was only when the first season came to Netflix (can't think of the US network it first aired on) it got a new lease of life and a surprise hit so much so that they sought to capitalise on the new found popularity and order the second season themselves it was either cancelled or in limbo before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Really enjoyed season 1 of You but like others gave up during season 2, trying to start it again now as I'm not really sure why I stopped watching first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is it a "a prequel spin-off of a side character from a zombie movie" which was a spiritual successor to a remake of a zombie film first released 40 years ago ... featuring no zombies?

If so I think the simple answer of who it's for is "people who are more likely to watch a movie based on existing IP over a movie that isn't".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Another Life season 2 a hell of a lot better

Must have read the reviews because they killed off most of the annoying crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,137 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Harriet - In this biopic, Harriet Tubman makes a harrowing escape from slavery and then risks her life to lead others to freedom via the Underground Railroad.

Honey Boy - A movie star struggling with addiction must look back at a childhood shaped by his unpredictable father, a one-time rodeo clown.

StartUp Seasons 3 - An attempt to launder stolen money finances a cryptocurrency that puts entrepreneurs in business with a corrupt FBI agent and a Miami gang.

Added

Inspector Koo (2021)Season 1 (Korean) - A reclusive ex-cop reenters the game as an insurance investigator, searching for clues in crime scenes perfectly staged by a serial killer in her midst

Out of Death (2021) (Bruce Willis ) - When a lone hiker witnesses a cop involved with a drug dealer, she goes on the run as the ruthless sheriff's department hunts her down in the woods.

The Gentlemen's League (2021) Season 1 (Korean) - Coached by former pro players, star athletes from various sports form an amateur soccer club with one goal: to win the national championship

Added

Pretty Little Liars: Season 1 to 7

The Claus Family – When his grandfather suddenly falls ill, holiday-hating Jules learns of his family’s magical legacy and realizes he’s the only hope to save Christmas.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

My Mad Fat Diary (2015) Seasons 1-3

Ransom (1996)

Argo (2012)

Inside the Mind (2021) - In a two-part documentary, a psychiatrist examines the inner workings of two complex and unusual public figures: Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson.

Point Break (1991)

Hapless (2020) Season 1 - A journalist takes his job at a small Jewish publication very seriously, but ends up in laughable misadventures and trivial disputes..

L.A. Confidential (1997)

A Time to Kill (1996)

Young Sheldon Seasons 1-3

Agatha Christie: 100 Years of Poirot and Miss Marple (2020) - This documentary looks at 10 of the best-selling author's most iconic works, their impact on crime fiction and their enduring legacy today

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

Screwed (2011) - A soldier who served a traumatic tour in Iraq gets a job as a prison guard and is drawn into a world of corruption, drug trafficking and brutality

LE WEEK-END (2013)

Dark Horse: The Incredible True Story Of Dream Alliance (2015) - After a barmaid and her husband convince locals in a Welsh pub to back a plan to breed racehorses, their long-shot bid produces a potential champion.

The Lady in the Van (2015)

Friday (1995)

The Undateables Seasons 1-7

Monster-in-Law (2005)

How to Be Single (2016)

Deck the Halls (2006)

The Glass House (2001)

Thick as Thieves (2009) - Deeply in debt to the Russian mob, a master jewel thief recruits a talented burglar to help filch two Fabergé eggs worth a cool $20 million each.

Man on a Ledge (2012)

John Wick: Chapter 2

Friday the 13th (2009)

Da Ali G Show (2000) Season 1

Spotlight (2015)

Angry Birds Season 2

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Army of Thieves with the missus last night. She'd seen the trailer and was interested, I'd watched the Army of the Dead and wasn't. She hadn't bothered with the Dead - a couple of minutes of the hyper-stylised opening of that film was enough to put her off when I stuck it on - I should have listened to her rather than persevering with it - what a slog of a movie. So when we sat down to watch Thieves I was expecting very, very little but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a masterpiece by any means and the ending runs out of steam as it awkwardly segues into the Dead story. Zombies are referenced sporadically throughout but add nothing to the story overall.

Matthias Schweighöfer does a good job though of manning the helm as director and star and the charm of his performance does a lot to propel the story along - even allowing me to overlook the moments when his tics are just that bit too stupid. There's also none of that awful shallow depth of focus cinematography that afflicted the Army of the Dead and made it look like you were viewing the action through lenses smeared with Vaseline.

At the end of the day, it's a fairly bog-standard but entertaining heist movie set in the Snyder universe that thankfully isn't directed by Zack Snyder and doesn't have many, if any, of his overwrought tricks and turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I will watch ‘the killing of a sacred deer’. It was on film4 once only I think and I missed it, so it’s always been a difficult film to catch. Not a fan of Colin but Barry Keoghan is meant to be good in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I've searched for this to add it to my list but it doesn't seem to be on Irish Netflix.

I watched The Trip last night, Noomi Rapace and Aksel Hennie. A dark comedy about a dysfunctional couple each planning to kill the other for their life insurance on a weekend trip. Well worth a look. Very violent in places but funny and entertaining nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Watched the 3 seasons of Mr Inbetween - really good series. Mix of dark humour and crime. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Also watched this at the weekend, TBH, its a bit disappointing that we know where the main character eventually ends up, while not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination, its amusing enough in its own way, and also knows exactly what it is - the scene immediately before the first heist for example. I'd watch another movie around the further adventures of Sebastien, gwen and Korina.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's on Disney+ not Netflix. It is an excellent show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Watched the first two episodes of Godless earlier, a western as the title suggests, shows promise so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Got to episode 3 and gave up. Just found it too PC and unrealistic, give me Deadwood any day.

Jack and Jill (2011) - Adam Sandler pulls double duty as family man Jack and his overbearing twin sister, Jill, who settles in over the holidays for an extended stay.

Hustlers (2019) - A struggling stripper and her street-smart mentor team up to turn the tables on their Wall Street clientele during the 2008 global financial crisis.

Camp Confidential: America's Secret Nazis (2021) - In this animated documentary short, WWII vets reveal a secret US military camp near Washington where Jewish soldiers hosted and interrogated Nazi POWs.

Ridley Jones (2021) Season 2 - Bold and curious kid Ridley and her friends protect the museum's treasures and keep its magical secret safe: Everything comes alive at night!

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I see Honey Boy was added over the weekend, Shia LaBeouf's semi-autobiographical story about his time as a child actor and his relationship with his father. The script was originally written as therapy during court-mandated rehab so it's pretty raw and unflinching. The cast all give amazing performances in it and it is a fascinating watch. Since I watched it, a lot of information came out about LaBeouf's treatment of FKA Twigs, one of the stars of the film who became his girlfriend, and the allegations of domestic violence from her and a previous girlfriend. It definitely curdles the redemptive arc shown at the end of the film and it might colour your choice in whether you want to watch the film or not but I think it's one to see. There's a certain irony in watching a child actor in a film about how badly child actors are treated but LaBeouf's circumstances seemed have been particularly rough. Watch it if you can but it's not an easy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Watched Army of Thieves last night. Was not expecting much, but enjoyed it. Worth a watch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Point break, excellent 👌 will be watching that and season 3 of the startup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been wanting to watch this but have not for the reasons you state. I've only heard very good things about the movie itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoyed Churchill's Secret Agents: The New Recruits over the past two nights: it mixes documentary with reality show by putting a number of members of the public through the same training as the SOE Agents of the 40's. Looked like great fun to be a part of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭thefa

Watched Colin in Black & White as have an interest in American Football and remember Kaepernick having a great couple of seasons with the 49ers. Felt like there was an interesting story to tell as there was a lot of graft behind his success but the show’s agenda takes precedence over it which made it tougher to get through.

Advertisement