Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I didn't realise it was so short and was finishing the 5th episode before I even realised, finished it today. Definitely enjoyable for anyone with a passing interest in Kaepernick or the nfl.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Well i actually noticed it after watching as was checking for season 2 coming. Normally if looking for a film I find the rt user score a good gauge for standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

7 Prisoners (2021) (Brazilian Portuguese) - An impoverished teen seeking to escape the clutches of a human trafficker must weigh living up to his moral code against his struggle to survive.

Love Never Lies (2021) Season 1 (Spanish) - Six couples are subjected to an eye-scanning lie detector in this reality show where lies cost money, and truth and trust come with a juicy cash prize

Added

Could not reconnect to dark after season one. Completely lost. They should have pieced it together between the seasons much better and done a proper intro for season 2 so people had some chance to remember wtf happened in Season 1. I'd say they lost 50% of their audience at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The only way is to watch season 1 all over again and go immediately into season 2.

I watched 4 episodes of season 2 when it first came out, but had to give up as could not remember the finer details of season 1. So I waited till season 3 arrived, then started again from season 1. Then I could follow all of season 1 and 2, but still got lost in 3 as the story got so complex as it moves to its conclusion. Lol u need to invest a lot f time in Dark!!

• Advertisement

Red Notice – Starring Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds, the film follows a daring heist that brings together the FBI’s top profiler (Johnson) and two rival criminals (Gadot, Reynolds). Director Rawson Marshall Thurber, who has previously worked with Johnson on Skyscraper and Central Intelligence, also penned the script.

Touch the Sound (2004) - Based on the remarkable story of percussionist Evelyn Glennie, this documentary explores the connections between perception, time, sound and rhythm.

I Am (Not) A Monster (2019) - Director Nelly Ben Hayoun-Stépanian goes on an ambitious hunt around the world to uncover the origins, mechanics and power dynamics of knowledge

The Great Train Robbery (2013) Season 1 This two-part tale delivers the true story of the Great Train Robbery of 1963, the biggest one in England's history. (BBC)

And some bulgarian movies if thats your bag

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m totally immersed in Shamelesss USA. Near the end of Series 5, with another 5 to go.

I thought the UK series was brilliant when it came out but the US one has so much more going on. You can be in the depths of despair one minute, then laughing out loud the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

5 down with 6 to go? Shameless US has 11 seasons.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

The Harder They Fall.

Excellent Western. Characters, casting, soundtrack, all bang on. Something Tarantino-esque about it. Ending left it perfectly poised for a sequel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As one who thinks Tarantino has been busily spelunking the depths of his own arse pretty much since his editor Sally Menke died, I reckon The Harder They Fall resembles Tarantino back when Menke was able to get him to exercise some restraint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Harder They Fall was a surprise bolter in what amounts to my Films of the Year; while the plot was incredibly rote, it was executed with a brio and style that really won me over. And the big climactic battle was bloody, chaotic and tragic, in the best tradition of Peckinpah adjacent films.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wasn't a fan of 'The Harder They Fall', all a bit on the nose. Overly stylistic(in parts) with a cliched storyline, one dimensional characters and 45 minutes longer than it needs to be. I'd still be interested to see what the director Jeymes Samuel does next

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Critic reviews are pretty scathing of Red Notice but I long since learned not to bother with them (e.g. IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes) I tend to side with the user ones. It's another good fun entertaining cheesey movie to watch with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yeah I’d actually watch a movie if I saw the majority of posters on here recommend it. I’ll also avoid it if most people say it was crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought The Harder They Fall was pretty dreadful

Beyond unimaginative

Finished Narcos Mexico. Good like seasons 1 and 2 but not great like Colombia. I think the main problem with Mexico is the story was too complicated with all the different plazas, and the real carnage is yet to even start with the El Chapo command and the story of Juarez in late 90s/early 00s. I think the 3 seasons of El Chapo are better than Narcos Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Disappointed there won't be a further season of narcos to cover the carnage of El Chapo. Really enjoyed all 6 season of Colombia and Mexico

Is it worth diving straight into the El Chapo series? Maybe it would benefit from a few months wait given how fresh the Narcos series is in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Watched Red Notice and like a lot of the big budget movies Netflix has put out recently its a bit of mindless fun

Go for it. Apart from midway through series 1 where it drags for a few episodes it’s great. From what I remember there is way more violence in it compared to Narcos Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Caquas

The new Netflix short series "Unlikely Murderer" is very well made with an excellent cast and beautiful design (Sweden in the 1980s) but I am not convinced that it solves the mystery of the Palme murder.

It's reminiscent of those documentaries about Sophie Toscan du Plantier (incompetent investigation, media-hungry suspect) but the cases are quite different. Palme was shot in front of his wife and a dozen witnesses on one of Stockholm's main streets. It is possible that he was killed by a lone gunman with no special links to Palme but, as the Prime Minister and a leading international figure e.g. in the anti-apartheid movement, Palme had many political enemies, including some with murky motives and a history of assassinations. A lone gunman would be much more convenient than the many conspiracy theories that have developed about this murder, including by Stieg Larrson, the author of the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. A drug addict, Christer Petterson, was convicted on flimsy ID evidence and, even after that conviction was quashed, many Swedes believed he was the murderer.

A series well worth watching but suspend judgement on the murder. I can't recall a less sympathetic central character. Even Hannibal Lector had a charming side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Rewatched Ransom last night with Mel Gibson. Excellent 90's thriller and stood up to test of time. Would recommend for those who ain't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not the first time I've seen this assessment and probably accurate for people who mostly stick to heavily promoted works.

Imdb is the better resource ratings are compiled by the users, looking at Red Notice a current score of 6.6 after 20k submissions that's a better than I'd have predicted score tbh.

A lot of stuff on RT particularly older titles doesn't have enough people be it critics or audience scoring them to be worthwhile noting.

When it comes to 20 Critics say rating a movie to get a percentage then maybe the 25k audience rating sure know best but if say 300 critics are instead swinging one way on something I mean you could likely chalk that down as best opinion, now when it comes to TV shows just ignore RT altogether.

The thing with Red Notice is you know what you kind of know what you are going to get, a base of cast immediately endearing to major audiences before play has been pressed, references to other movies of its type, throw in a bit of action see how they get on. Nothing wrong with that these are ten a penny for a reason but an offset of that is that won't have critics banging down doors to give it top marks when they've likely seen it packaged differently those thousand times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭thefa

Didn’t find Red Notice engaging. Relied on the Rock and Reynolds playing their typical characters to get it over the line. Would have expected more from the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I love the first season of Mexico, much more than any of the Colombian seasons. Sadly, it declined through the seasons, with the last being the weakest.

El Chapo is a seriously underrated series. Most people seem to grade it slightly above average, but for me it was at least very good, sitting on the border of being great. With each new season I expected a decline in quality due to how good the previous was, yet it never happened. I'd personally highly recommend it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Just finished Colonia Dignidad. Documentary series speaks to victims and colleagues of Paul Schafer's sinister political/religious commune. Also starting on "Gloria", a drama series about Cold War espionage in Portugal during the Salazar regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: Dark

I watched it when all 3 seasons were out, so was able to watch it for start to finish without interruption. An episode or two each night.

Seasons 1 and 2 were very good, clever, and kept me interested.

Season 3 for me was a mess. Totally over complicated and I struggled to finish it as I couldn't understand half of what was going on. Shame as it ruined it's overall score for me. Stopped it being in the top tier of boxsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched 7 prisoners. Well put together but ouch.. a real gut punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Passing was disappointing I thought. Stylish with an interesting premise but just lacks substance. Negga and Thompson drag it from mediocre to watchable.

Naked Attraction Season 1 - In this daring dating show, singles and couples seek out connection and meet matches for the first time - while only wearing their birthday suits

Spencer, Vogue and Baby Too Season 1 - TV personalities Vogue Williams and Spencer Matthews document the birth of their first child, Theodore, in this unscripted series

Kuroko's Basketball: Last Game - (Japanese) - Kuroko reunites with the "Generation of Miracles" when former rivals are humiliated in an exhibition game against a notorious street basketball team.

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) (Will Smith)

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched a fair few films over the weekend:

Red Notice - much better than the early reviews would suggest. It's absolutely mindless fun that relies on Reynolds usual schtick for laughs but the kids absolutely loved it.

Ransom - I had the same reaction as @rekluse above. This really stands up to the test of time. A real throw back to the 90's and picking up a thriller in Xtravision of a Friday night in!

Very late to this one as every review I'd ever heard was positive but I absolutely loved Attack The Block. Really nice to see John Boyega's debut and it was certainly more impressive than his role in Star Wars.

And finally, I've been absolutely blown away by how good Arcane is. I went into it expecting the usual video-game to film dross and only really watching to humour our eldest who plays League of Legends but have gotten so sucked into it that he's ended up getting to stay up late twice now so we could throw on another episode!

Advertisement