Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just watched Uncut Gems; the blurb for it here from recently is:
    peteeeed wrote: »
    Starring Adam Sandler, the film sees the actor take on a more dramatic role in comparison to the comedic nature of his past movies. Adam stars as Howard Ratner, a man who embarks on an affair with his mistress Julia (Julia Fox) – while still married to wife Dinah (Idina Menzel). The film also is set to be released to cinemas later this month and has already received rave reviews from critics.
    Anyone who has seen it knows whoever reads this beforehand- as their only guide- would be in for a bit if a shock if that's what they went in expecting. There's a separate film thread for it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111385243&postcount=1

For my part, I loved it. Grabbed by the scruff of the neck from the off and hurtled towards the finale. Performances along the way were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Just finished Messiah, I thought it was great and nicely sets up s2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Perks of Being a Wallflower added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just watched Uncut Gems; the blurb for it here from recently is:

Anyone who has seen it knows whoever reads this beforehand- as their only guide- would be in for a bit if a shock if that's what they went in expecting. There's a separate film thread for it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111385243&postcount=1

For my part, I loved it. Grabbed by the scruff of the neck from the off and hurtled towards the finale. Performances along the way were fantastic.
    Is this on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is this on Netflix?

Not till the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hadn't realised Uncut Gems was coming to Netflix, looking forward to it.

Gave Downsizing a watch last night, it was enjoyable but not as good as Alexander Payne's other films. It starts out quite sharp and funny but becomes a bit meandering as it goes on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hadn't realised Uncut Gems was coming to Netflix, looking forward to it.

Gave Downsizing a watch last night, it was enjoyable but not as good as Alexander Payne's other films. It starts out quite sharp and funny but becomes a bit meandering as it goes on.

Downsizing felt like an idea in search of a script; they had the basic premise and inciting incident but as you say, meandered after that point, unsure where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The Perks of Being a Wallflower added

Excellent film

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Gave the Witcher a try but stopped it after 5mins, just wasn’t in right mood for it and even at only 5mins I hadn’t a clue what was going on, what the dialogue was or who anybody was.
    Decided to watch another gangster series and watched Bad Blood season 1. It was pretty good, bit of a sons of anarchy vibe to it, and with only 6 45min episodes I got through it all in 1 sitting. I didn’t realise Montreal had such a violent recent history. Looking forward to season 2 which has 8 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

Gave the Witcher a try but stopped it after 5mins, just wasn’t in right mood for it and even at only 5mins I hadn’t a clue what was going on, what the dialogue was or who anybody was.
    Decided to watch another gangster series and watched Bad Blood season 1. It was pretty good, bit of a sons of anarchy vibe to it, and with only 6 45min episodes I got through it all in 1 sitting. I didn’t realise Montreal had such a violent recent history. Looking forward to season 2 which has 8 episodes.

I’d give the Witcher another go. I was the same at the start but it gets better as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed both seasons of Bad Blood but the second season is very different to the first, they don't really feel like they belong in the same world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought Dracula was coming to Netflix this weekend or is that just the US?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's everywhere but the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ixoy wrote: »
    It's everywhere but the UK and Ireland.

Not fair, same with the Ted Buddy film, is that ever going to be put on Netflix?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fin12 wrote: »
    Not fair, same with the Ted Buddy film, is that ever going to be put on Netflix?

Sky own the rights to the bundy film here, so it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Dracula is on the BBC. Of course it's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not fair
    It's created and aired on BBC, so they want their iPlayer to get the traffic first.

I'd say it'll end up on UK&IE Netflix eventually but not in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Just finished Godless after a recommendation here. Have to say its excellent and well worth a watch. The acting, story and overall production is top notch and I was glued to each of the seven parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dracula is on the BBC. Of course it's fair.

How is it? It’s on all other Netflix except Uk and Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How is it? It’s on all other Netflix except Uk and Ireland.
    Because we can get BBC and they can't..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought it was a BBC/Netflix co-production. So thought it was first airing on bbc during the week then goes to Netflix.
    I see they have a page for it on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Minor bit of trickery and you can watch it on either BBC or Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeh but in Ireland you can't get legal access to BBC iPlayer and BBC don't do repeats. It's a pretty **** deal when you're in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'm planning The West, The Civil War and Prohibition. That's 20+ hours, should keep me going for a while.

Got through the civil war quickly enough. I know it has its critics as no documentaries can satisfy everyone especially something as contentious as the civil war but I found it very enjoyable.

If I must pick holes and this is a forum afterall..:pac: then maybe you could argue they romanticize Robert E Lee a little to much which in 2020 is a little uncomfortable viewing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

Somewhat off topic but yer one that does that movies and booze section on moncrieff gave her top twenty movie of the decade, at number two was a documentary called “The Imposter”...searched high and low for it on all the rental apps and couldn’t find it only to discover the full film is on YouTube ad free. This story is nuts and the cat film has nothing on it. Highly recommend it to all of you. Very well made. Think it is on Netflix US by the way.

https://youtu.be/lX_WUhNbdJc

We watched this, on your recommendation Higgins and we weren't disappointed. What an incredible story! Unbelievable really.
    I strongly suspect there was something very dodgy about the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Isn't the BBC Iplayer not available in the Republic?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rjd2 wrote: »

If I must pick holes and this is a forum afterall..:pac: then maybe you could argue they romanticize Robert E Lee a little to much which in 2020 is a little uncomfortable viewing .

I just checked and I think it was made in 1990. Funny how much prespective can change in 30 years, although the facts remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

CastorTroy wrote: »

Its a load of ****e anyway . Very much not what I was expecting or hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Its a load of ****e anyway . Very much not what I was expecting or hoping for

Agreed, started well but really went down the toilet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed, started well but really went down the toilet

And yet given the Streisand Effect, I now want to watch it more, just to see how bad the drop in quality goes!

Advertisement