Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh for sure re. The humour: even in those early episodes I laughed at how dated some references had already become. They're often only asides so not entirely crippling, but still extremely of the period of ... *checks notes* ... 2009?? Jesus.

It remains - and has become worse with time - super creepy they had tried to make Jeff and Annie a thing at all. It was never ambiguous about the fact she was a high school girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Elite Short Stories: Patrick (2021) Season 1 (Spanish) - Patrick's trip to a cabin in the woods during Christmastime results in an unexpected but significant outcome.

The Big Short (2015) - A group of wily opportunists make a fortune off of the U.S. economic crash by sniffing out the situation in advance and betting against the banks.

Ave Mater (2016) (Swedish) - A detective and a former pastor team up to solve a series of grisly murders in the city of Gothenburg -- but the truth may defy all earthly explanations

Cycle (2012) - An astronaut grappling with a short-term memory struggles to separate his dreams from reality as he tries to flee from a deadly black fog

Malachi's Cove (1974) - Tough young Mally gathers seaweed on the Cornish coast to make ends meet. When a local boy invades her beach, she fears her livelihood is in jeopardy.

Joanna Lumley's Jewel in the Nile (2010) Season 1 - On the trip of a lifetime, actor Joanna Lumley travels by boat, plane, train, car and Zapcat to follow the world's longest river from mouth to source

Arberia (2019) (Italian) After her father's death, Aida returns to her Arbëreshë village and grapples with complicated feelings about her origins

Silent Hours (2020) - Ex-Royal Navy officer turned private detective John Duval hunts down the real culprit of several brutal murders after police name him the prime suspect

Never Die Young (2013) (French) - In desolate images, this experimental film captures the life of Guido Peters from his difficult childhood to the dire consequences of addiction.

Jimmy Jones (2018) (Swedish) - Attempting to pull off a drug heist for an infamous crime lord, a petty crook gets into a terrible accident that endangers more than just his mission.

Giants And The Morning After (Swedish) - This cinematic documentary zooms in on one of Sweden's smallest municipalities, its rich mythical heritage and its tight-knit community.

Bikes vs Cars (2015) - Interviews with urban planners and studies of traffic-related problems in major cities reveal the benefits of large-scale bicycle commuting.

The Last Whalers Of São Miguel (2019) (Portuguese) - In this documentary, islanders relive the Azores' controversial whaling past and examine the reasons why few historical traces of that era remain

British Rock (1979) - England's late-'70s rock and punk scene is captured live and in interviews with Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Police, the Jam, the Specials and others..

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Jeff and Annie thing doesn't really bother me because it was never more than a kiss and even at that within the show it was treated as creepy, Jeff knew it was wrong and the other characters reaction when it's revealed they kissed is far from supportive. Besides if that's creepy than surely Troy and Britta is just as creepy, Troy is the same age as Annie and Britta is definitely meant to be closer in age to Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Am watching The Girl from Oslo.....

There will be no Oscars for Best Actor or Actress won here........ some is woeful.

Don't think I can finish it... sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I started this last night, watched the first episode, I'm not sure it's the acting thats so bad, rather the English Language dubbing. The voices are all fairly generic supermarket advertising voiceovers. I'm not sure I'll stay with it either, which is a pity, it's a relativly interesting premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Netflix bought Cuties do not sure why you'd be stunned

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Actually had to google that tbh, hadn't heard of it but the Wiki article says the film is a criticism of the hyper-sexualisation of underage girls by social media and dance groups and doesn't contain any underage nudity (real or implied via the use of body doubles) so not quite the same as The Blue Lagoon which fairly revels in it's depictions of teenage sexuality...

Either way, given the hot water the Cuties film seems to have landed them in, it's surprising to see them risk it again...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The cuties "controversy" was fake outrage whipped up by the sort of people who think white women are being human trafficked out of supermarket car parks, and that cancel culture is the number 1 threat to society at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Couldn't care less what the themes of the film are. Its sickening. A nonce will watch both films and be entertained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's licenced content, presumably part of a package of such. I doubt they thought about it too much. Also the film is older and mostly unseen by the people likely to be outraged by it. The algorithms haven't discovered it yet. But give it time...

• Advertisement

I’ve gone through the thread since the beginning of December and I see that Black Ice was mentioned as added but I can’t see any posts from people who’ve watched it.

FYI - it’s an Irish Film about boy/girl racers and focuses on the life of one girl. Filmed in Leitrim and Sligo. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I gave up on after about 40 minutes, just couldn't get into it. The whole cross border joy riding thing wasn't for me.

Don't Look Up (2021) - Adam McKay’s comedy disaster movie based on real events follows Dr Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence), an astronomy grad student, who discover a comet orbiting within the solar system. The problem? It’s on a direct collision course with Earth. The other problem? No one really seems to care

1000 Miles from Christmas (2021) (Spanish) An auditor who completely despises Christmas is sent to a small town for work, where he meets a woman determined to change his view about the holiday

Vicky and Her Mystery (2021) (French) - After her mom's death, a heartbroken girl and her dad settle in wild, beautiful Cantal. Can a special creature help her heal? Inspired by a true story.

The Silent Sea (2021) Season 1 (Korean) - During a perilous 24-hour mission on the moon, space explorers try to retrieve samples from an abandoned research facility steeped in classified secrets

STAND BY ME Doraemon (2014) (Japanese) Fourth-grader Nobita Nobi tries to improve his present life so that his loyal cat robot, Doraemon, can return to his home in the future.

STAND BY ME Doraemon 2 (2020) (Japanese) - Nobita travels to the future to show his beloved grandma his bride, but adult Nobita has fled his own wedding. Can he ever be a good husband to Shizuka?

Daughter From Another Mother (2021) Season 2 (Spanish) - After realizing their babies were exchanged at birth, two women develop a plan to adjust to their new lives: creating a single --and peculiar-- family.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Silent Sea looks like it might be a good bit of sci-fi drama

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watched The War Below today, thought it was very good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Single All The Way was an enjoyable Christmas rom-com in the When Harry Met Sally vein of having actually funny comedy and good chemistry between the two leads.

Just Another Christmas is alright Christmas viewing - basically a Brazilian mashup of A Christmas Carol's Future Yet To Come and Groundhog Day, where a Christmas-hating family man (Jorge) develops a head-injury-induced memory loss that means each year at Christmas he only remembers previous Christmases, not the year in between, and then sees how his future will turn out if he doesn't change his ways.

Trains, planes and automobiles is coming to Netflix on the 01/01.

I've not seen that film in a very long time, I'd imagine it'll be just as good this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Highly recommend Midnight Mass !!

Excellent thriller that revolves around religion, faith, cultism and science. It's not your typical cult like tv show nor your conventional jump-scare horror. It's much more intelligent and profound than that, with some compelling underlying messages that really resonated with me. This show brought back memories and the mysteries I've had about God, religion and atheism. Anyone that's come from a conservative religious household and has questioned all things religion before, this is the show for you !!

The writing and acting in this series is absolutely phenomenal. The characters and the little town setting gave me Stephen King vibes. So many amazing award worthy performances especially the Monsignor and Bev Keane. Overall a beautifully poignant modern horror series that I can't recommend enough

Watched Don't Look Up... Whilst it was ok but it had enough to probably just stick to being a disaster movie rather than throwing the comedy aspect to it, it almost felt a bit like Charlie Brooker and his Black Mirror reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Happy Christmas Eve boardies, sure what else would you be watching on Christmas Eve on Netflix except my all time Christmas favourite Love Actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

It's only slow moving compared to typical Netflix series pacing and neural rewards formula. One to watch without distractions and phones! Best Bullock since she went into space with Clooney that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched it. Very good. Definately not slow moving. I was glued to it for the full 2 hours. Would definately recommend this movie.

Jimmy Carr: His Dark Material (2021) - Jimmy Carr finds humor in the darkest of places in this stand-up special that features his dry, sardonic wit -- and some jokes he calls "career enders."

Stories of a Generation - with Pope Francis (2021) - In candid and heartwarming stories, inspiring women and men over 70 share poignant life lessons and pivotal choices from their remarkable journeys

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) - Writer Lloyd Vogel forges a friendship with famed children's television host Fred Rogers and learns to make peace with his painful past............ps mr rogers was creepy

24 Hours in A&E (2014) Seasons 5 - In one of Britain's busiest accident and emergency departments, the staff takes on medical trauma and high drama around the clock.. ( great timing)

Added

Merry christmas , lets face it lockdown is coming again so

here's whats coming in January

January 1st

Cats

Chief Daddy 2 – Going for Broke

Fracture

Half Brothers

Marie Antoinette

Moonrise Kingdom

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Rainbow Rangers: Season 2

Scream 4

She’s the Man

Silver Linings Playbook

The Hook Up Plan: Season 3 (French)

The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power

United 93

Werewolves Within

January 3rd

The Gentlemen

The Nest

January 4th

Action Pack: Season 1

January 5th

Four to Dinner [4 metà] (Italian)

Ready Steady Cook: Season 1

Rebelde: Season 1 (Mexican)

Redemption of a Rogue

January 6th

Deadly Cuts

DOTA: Dragon’s Blood: Book 2

Hanwoo Rhapsody: Season 1 (Weekly episodes)

The Club: Part 2 (Turkish)

The Wasteland [Spanish, Horror Films]

Uncle Drew

January 7th

Binti

Hype House: Season 1

Johnny Test: Season 2

Mother/Android

The Making if a King

January 10th

Undercover: Season 3 (Belgian)

January 11th

Dear Mother (French)

January 12th

How I Fell in Love with a Gangster [Jak pokochalam gangstera] (Polish)

January 13th

Brazen

Photocopier (Indonesian)

SHAMAN KING: More Episodes

The Journalist: Season 1 (Japanese)

January 14th

After Life: Season 3

Animal Park: Seasons

Archive 81: Season 1

Fatuma

Maiden

The House: Season 1

This Is Not a Comedy (Mexican)

Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhein: Season 1 (Hindi)

January 15th

A · RIGATO – JARUJARU TOWER 2020 (Japanese)

Dancer

Dolittle

Greed

Sniper: Assassin’s End

January 17th

Annabelle Comes Home

The Ice King

January 18th

Mighty Express: Train Trouble

January 19th

El marginal: Season 4 (Argentinian)

Heavenly Bites: Mexico: Season 1 (Mexican)

The Luminaries: Season 1 (BBC)

Too Hot to Handle: Season 3

January 20th

Midnight Asia: Eat · Dance · Dream: Season 1

The Royal Treatment

January 21st

Aileen Wuornos: American Boogeywoman

Amandla (African)

Munich – The Edge of War

Ozark: Season 4, Part 1

Patria / No Man’s Land

Summer Heat: Season 1 (Brazilian)

That Girl Lay Lay: Season 1

The Gift

Top Secret UFO Projects: Declassified: Season 1

January 25th

Neymar: The Perfect Chaos

January 27th

I Am Georgina: Season 1 (Spanish)

January 28th

Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness: Season 1

Home Team

In From the Cold: Season 1

The Orbital Children: Season 1

THE WOMAN IN THE HOUSE ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE GIRL IN THE WINDOW: Season 1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Deadly Cuts on Jan 6th is a good one. Watched it a few weeks ago. Irish film, set in a Dublin hairdressers as they go up against scumbags, politicians, gentrification, and rival salons. Good few laughs once it gets going. Speaking of lockdowns, would be the perfect film for one of those twitter covideo parties, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just watched that, good antidote to all the slush around today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jimmy Carr: His Dark Material - watched it after dinner today and thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They both run around on the beach naked as kids, but it's about as innocent as you can get. That said, I haven't watched the Netflix version, so it's possible it's been edited.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement