Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Watched True Romance, good clip I thought, typical Tarrantino.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watch Spinning out? Looks good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yeh but in Ireland you can't get legal access to BBC iPlayer and BBC don't do repeats. It's a pretty **** deal when you're in Ireland.
    But the argument would be that we don't pay a BBC licence fee so why should we get the iPlayer? We get the BBC "for free" and obviously for our licence fee we get the fantastic RTE player and RTE's wonderful content. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how many shows we get on our Netflix that the UK don't (we certainly don't get some shows that they do, due to the likes of RTE or TV3 scheduling them for 2am slots).

he wasn't the director tho. only co-wrote the screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I just checked and I think it was made in 1990. Funny how much prespective can change in 30 years, although the facts remain the same.

Lee is a complex historical figure with such a series.., he was obviously on the wrong side of history, but all sides rate his military prowess very highly.I think at times Burns is a little overawed by that.

Its still highly recommended though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Missing Link is good fun, shame it was a dud at the box office. Maybe not as thoughtful as other Laika films (but still way more poignant than most animated films these days).

I see it won best animated film at the Golden Globes last night. Up against 3 Disney/Pixar films. Bit of a surprise all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I see it won best animated film at the Golden Globes last night. Up against 3 Disney/Pixar films. Bit of a surprise all round.

I enjoyed all those nominated bar the Lion King, but it's great to see it get some recognition, Laika deserve it, and it's nice to see an original story beat sequels.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Was it your first time watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched "In Search of Fellini" over the weekend. Lovely unusual film about an eccentric girl who goes to Italy to meet the famous director.

Give it a try if you're looking for something a bit different.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_search_of_fellini

joeguevara wrote: »
    Was it your first time watching it?

Yes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yes.

Are you a Tarantino fan? What was your standout moment?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Are you a Tarantino fan? What was your standout moment?

Yeah somewhat, favourite moment would be the scene with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in the caravan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I enjoyed all those nominated bar the Lion King, but it's great to see it get some recognition, Laika deserve it, and it's nice to see an original story beat sequels.

I half wanted the Lion King to win just because Disney kept denying it was animation.
    It'll be interesting to see the Oscar nominations in this category because I think they changed the rules for voting an an attempt to diversify what gets nominated. It's only open to members of the animation guild or something to that effect.
    EDIT: it's the short films and feature animation branches that can automatically vote and if you're outside of those you have to opt in and meet a minimum viewing requirement to get a vote

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Yeah somewhat, favourite moment would be the scene with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper in the caravan.

Classic scene. Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

Just finished Ozark season 2.
    Wow what great tv both season are. If you like American crime series tv non-factual you must watch it, fantastic stuff.
    Next on my list is Money Heist.

Just finished watch Ozark as well. A few imaginative leaps but certainly a very good watch.

I had the first episode of Lost in Space downloaded and watched about 20 minutes earlier. Very unimpressed, doesn’t seem to be worth going back to. Am I right, or do I just need to give it more time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

WildWater wrote: »
    Just finished watch Ozark as well. A few imaginative leaps but certainly a very good watch.

I had the first episode of Lost in Space downloaded and watched about 20 minutes earlier. Very unimpressed, doesn’t seem to be worth going back to. Am I right, or do I just need to give it more time?

Give it more time. It take a few episodes to get going and its stride is definitely in the back half. Obviously depends on what your tastes are like to begin with, but it remains a straightforward survival adventure in space .

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Found messiah unsatisfactory. Some bits very good but veers to a meh rating cos too much time given to very average character development plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Found messiah unsatisfactory. Some bits very good but veers to a meh rating cos too much time given to very average character development plots.
    Couldn't finish the first episode.. it was all a bit hammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Basq wrote: »
    Couldn't finish the first episode.. it was all a bit hammy!

was just about to start it.... i'll give it a miss so

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Ah, give it a try.. don't base it solely on my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

RE: Lost in Space - it's by no means quality television but if you're looking for something you can just leave your brain at the door and enjoy then it's worth a watch. A lot of plot developments rely on characters being stupid or needlessly secretive - if you can get past that you'll enjoy it for what it is.

I started Unbelievable tonight. Planned on just watching the one, had to force myself to stop after the 4th.
    I know it divided opinion on here but I can't see anything wrong with it. It takes a lot to keep my attention so the fact I breezed through almost 4 hours of it without moving puts it pretty high in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I started Unbelievable tonight. Planned on just watching the one, had to force myself to stop after the 4th.
    I know it divided opinion on here but I can't see anything wrong with it. It takes a lot to keep my attention so the fact I breezed through almost 4 hours of it without moving puts it pretty high in my book.

I don't want to ruin it for you, but when you finish it you'll realise it could've been two hours long and been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wonder Woman added there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Live Twice, Love Once
    When Emilio (Oscar Martínez) is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, he and his family embark on a quest to reunite him with his childhood crush

Only You
    Elena and Jake meet over a disputed taxi one drunken night in Glasgow and fall in love, but their whirlwind romance soon encounters some roadblocks

And wonder woman as mentioned above

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

mrmorgan wrote: »

I just finished it yesterday, and really enjoyed it tbh. Decent series

Trailer for S2 of Sex Education, coming next week-ish. The first series was a really pleasant surprise for me, very funny but with lots of heart and great performances.

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1214562563582648322?s=19

That looks like Anne-Marie Duff with Maeve, possibly playing her mum?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Trailer for S2 of Sex Education, coming next week-ish. The first series was a really pleasant surprise for me, very funny but with lots of heart and great performances.

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1214562563582648322?s=19

That looks like Anne-Marie Duff with Maeve, possibly playing her mum?
    Delighted about this, and the trailer looks promising.
    One of the funniest, yet unexpectedly poignant series to hit our screens in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Think I'll try Unbelievable or Don't **** with cats tonight. Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

budgemook wrote: »
    Think I'll try Unbelievable or Don't **** with cats tonight. Decisions decisions.[/QUOTE

The latter

Advertisement