Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

Looking forward to watching Ricky Gervais special later tonight. Not a fan of his in general, but the odd clip on twitter of him skewering transactivism looks delightful. Surprisingly only Chapelle has shown similar commitment to doing his bloody job as a comedian.

Although it's US based there are parallels to trends in Ireland which are concerning. The capture of state utilities for corporate profits nearly happened with water here, we lost the battle on housing which is now commoditized and shows like this can break down these concepts into bite sized chunks for those disaffected or weary that nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Watched it this morning. Very good. Rickys tv shows aren't my cup of tea but it seems he isnt going to change his stand up for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Love his stand-up. Can't wait for this later. If it's anything like politics, fame, science etc., then it will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

thought it was really poor , he's journey to being jim davidson is complete , i went to see him on his first couple of tours and thought they were great , his just rehashing old material pandering to people who say woke , cancel , you cant say what you want to say and other drivel . bloke in his 60's having a pop now .

really showing how much of a genius stephen merchant is

• Advertisement

Differing tastes in here recently. Windfall and now Ricky Gervais.

Ricky Gervais = Jim Davidson though? 😆 Dunno bout that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure about Jim Davidson, but Ricky Gervais has turned into that millionaire comedian whose angry legitimacy was kinda lost the moment he amassed all his celebrity pals and hosted Hollywood awards. The edge comes across twice as fake when he's happy to pander and be pandered to by the machine. George Carlin he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There was an interview on the Graun last year that makes for interesting reading, in that he seems keenly aware of how important it is to his image to not go Full Brent, so to speak. But he's definitely hit that time-honoured point of comedians bemoaning that times and cultural standards shift (and his fixation with having characters say awful things about fat people speaks more to his own relationship with his body than anything else, I reckon ...)

ok jim might be a bit of a reach but the warning signs are his twitter is basically retweeting anyone who says he's amazing , never a good look , the first 20 mins of this special is just pure bile on trans rights , sticking up for louis ck and a shot at female comedians (part of that was a bit funny ) but he never tried to get the joke back on himself at any point which was always a strong point of his , the joke's near the end were all from podcasts from around 20 years ago

for a good 10 years he was my favourite comedian , the xfm shows with him , stephen merchant & karl pilkington are classics . the warning signs were there when he went off and made 'the invention of lying ' on his own which was terrible , after life started well but went flat in season 3

• Advertisement

Just my take on the show, you ain't been watching the news much if you reckon that post was conspiratorial!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see that Somebody Feed Phil is back tomorrow for a 5th season.

It's a wholesome food blog/travel show with the likeable writer/producer Phil Rosenthal.

If you've been watching all along, it'll be the first series since his dad Max died last year.

Both of his parents usually featured in a video call at the end of each episode, but his mother Helen passed away before season 3, and now poor Max is gone too.

Great show if you're looking for something light and funny to watch. It'll make you hungry too. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

More OTT action from Netflix, but coming from the Russo bros I'd hope this is at least better than Red Notice (low bar, I know).

Im a fan of Gosling and Billy Bob so want this to be good but Netflix trailers can deceive. The trailers for Red Notice / The Adam Project looked good. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not a fan of his standup but did think After Life was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Russo's did great work on Community and as much as their Marvel movies were the best stories, their direction - especially action scenes - was perfunctory at best. Sloppy at worst, but that could have just been the MCU Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭archfi

SuperNature very, very funny.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

"You want to make an omelette you got to kill some people"

No, just No.....that's shocking dialogue (if it was tongue in cheek that's one thing)

Ffs surely any kind of writer could do better than that. I'm going to have a hard time ever deciding yo watch this....and I quite like the odd relatively brainless action film.....but that line would be best delivered by McBain in the Simpsons.

As @Fysh says, Gervais has kinda become left behind by social changes but doesn't have the nous to shift his perspective, or his material. He just comes off like a corporate edgelord now, increasingly rote and stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I for one thoroughly enjoyed Supernature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

ive seen a good few clips of gervais on TikTok lately and saw the ad for his new show on Netflix so I started watching his older one today and I have to admit it’s really good so far, I don’t care how offensive or inoffensive it is as long as it makes me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Yeah supernature is the best stand up I've seen in a while, funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Larva Pendant (2022) This silly short-film sequel to "Larva Island" and "The Larva Island Movie" follows farting friends Red and Yellow's bumbling misadventures in the city.

Somebody Feed Phil Season 5 (2022) "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal travels the globe to take in the local cuisine and culture of Bangkok, Lisbon, Mexico City and more

Sword Art Online Season 2 (2019) A video game whiz helps create a new technology that enables players to guide their online avatars with their own bodies -- but a dark twist emerges.

Added

Kinda? He is the most successful comedian in british and european history financially. He fills arenas wherever he goes.

The nous to shift his perspective to suit the progressive lefts views on the world, where humor and comedy barely exist anymore for fear of offending is not being left behind. Its just not to your taste. The numbers tell that picture very clearly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finished this last night and while it was mostly just silly enjoyable don't overthink it fun, the ending threw in a few surprises that sent it in a bit of a different direction and now I really hope there's a S2.

I just don't buy into comedy that punches down; you don't need to be a liberal leftie, eat smashed avocado or whatever cliché abounds, to enjoy comedy that doesn't trash on people already having a shít time of it. Oh but Leave Ricky Alone! 🤣

The clip of Acaster features him "punching down" on old people and Christians, so I would imagine you don't buy into him either? Show me a comedian who doesn't take the piss out of anyone or anything and I'll show you a bore fest.

FWIW, apart from the Self ID jokes and a few other bits, the Gervais special wasn't exceptional. I saw the Self ID bit as more about standing up for women (women without beards and cocks) than punching down on others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The poster cleverly (or so they thought) posted a link to the video from the half way point of that clip hoping no one would think to look at the first half.

Pathetic

Advertisement