Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

He's Just Not That Into You (2009) Love-hungry Baltimoreans deal with the pitfalls of human interaction in this big-screen adaptation of Greg Behrendt's best-selling book

Queer as Folk seasons 1 & 2 (2000) While Stuart takes his pick of the men in Manchester's gay scene, his best buddy Vince quietly pines for him. But everything is about to change.

Corridor (2009) (Swedish) A quiet medical student strikes up a friendship with his upstairs neighbor -- and discovers something disturbing in the building.

Added

For Jojo (2022) (German) When her best friend Jojo falls in love and moves on from their wild dating adventures in Berlin, Paula does everything she can to sabotage her wedding.

Valley of the Dead (2022) (Spanish) During the Spanish Civil War, a small group of sworn enemies must work together when they encounter flesh-eating zombies created in a Nazi experiment.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trailer poped up for Netflix's latest B-Movie-With-A-List-Star, Day Shift; it'll disappear into the algorithm the day after August 12. It's a first-time directorial job from one of the stuntmen in John Wick...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wonder what the budget was? I am guessing $200 million at least.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Gray Man is getting some decent reviews from people. A few saying people should pay the money to see it in the cinema if they can. Not sure I'll do that, but I'm interested in watching it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

From Dusk Till Blade Theft Auto.

I'll be watchin it. Jamie Foxx can spin sh!t into gold.

Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, the comedy duo behind series such as The Eric Andre Show and Showtime’s Moonbase 8, have set a new comedy series featuring a pair of viral pranksters at Netflix.

The streamer has ordered Chad & JT Go Deep, a series that features Chad Kroeger (aka Tom Allen rather than the Nickelback frontman) and JT Parr, who are best known for a viral video that saw them handing out masks during the peak of the pandemic in Huntingdon Beach (see below).

The series, which launches on August 23, sees the self-described “stoke lords” take their activism to the streets of Southern California to spread awareness on important issues. But when one of their causes accidentally leads to their cancellation, they use their activism to win back the good graces and trust of the culture.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/tim-heidecker-eric-wareheim-comedy-series-chad-jt-go-deep-viral-prank-netflix-1235061205/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trying to keep an open mind but IMO the Russo's action choreography is awful sometimes, over edited into fast cut chaos. What I've seen of this looks about the same as their previous work.

I'll be honest, the reviews I saw were on Letterboxd. I assumed they were industry types who were at press screenings, but it seems they were just people at a screening and some of them gave Thor L&T 4 or 5 stars, so I retract my previous statement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Watching the second season of Capitani that appeared on netflix recently, equally as good as the first series if not better.. But, an annoyance i see on too regular a basis, a disparity in the subtitles and the voice dubbing, sometimes could have a big impact on how you are thinking about plot and characters

• Advertisement

Bill Burr: Live at Red Rocks (2022) Comedian Bill Burr sounds off on cancel culture, feminism, getting bad reviews from his wife and a life-changing epiphany during a fiery stand-up set

How to Change Your Mind (2022) Author Michael Pollan leads the way in this docuseries exploring the history and uses of psychedelics, including LSD, psilocybin, MDMA and mescaline.

My Daughter's Killer (2022) (French) A father fights for decades to bring his daughter's killer to justice in France and Germany before taking extreme measures. A true crime documentary.

Reverse (2016) (Spanish) Growing up in an orphanage, two brothers give each other treacherous challenges. As adults, they play the game once more -- putting their lives at risk.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

The Secret, what a crazy story....what the F is wrong with people? Just absolutely bizarre.

Yeah had a look and there is some distinct "I was at the screening! Hype!" energy coming off some reviews. When it comes to Netflix Blockbusters I just assume they're forgettable rubbish 'til proven otherwise. But unfortunately, so far, their hit rate has been non-existent.

Better Call Saul: Season 6, Part 2 episode 8

The concluding chapter in this Breaking Bad prequel promises dark consequences and tragic drama aplenty. It’s showtime, folks.

Also added and weekly to the finish

A few things leaving in the next few days/weeks:

14th July - A Few Good Men, Blood Diamond, Dunkirk, Fantastic Mr Fox, The Great Gatsby, Lego Batman, Sully, Wonder Woman

17th July - Attack The Block

21st July - Emma

28th July - The Invisible Man

31st July - Creed, Munich, The Nightingale, Parks and Recreation

5th August - The Hunt, Oceans 11,12,13

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The first 2/3 of There's Someone Inside Your House plays like a pretty good throwback horror, with a setup that is clearly influenced by Scream without just lazily aping it. (The characters are fairly 2-dimensional but work within the sort-of-but-not-really-satirical version of American high school featured in the film).

Unfortunately the final act is pretty weak, with the identity of the killer feeling very much un-earned and the final confrontation about as subtle in its theme as a brick to the nadgers.

I can't really recommend the whole thing, but the first 2/3 of the film make for a solid throwback horror.

DB Cooper: Where Are You?!: Season 1 (2022) In 1971, a skyjacker parachutes off a plane with a bag of stolen cash — and gets away with it. Decades later, his identity remains a compelling mystery.

Hurts Like Hell: Season 1 (2022)From illegal gambling to match-fixing, discover the seedy underworld behind the once-revered sport of Muay Thai in this drama inspired by real events.

Under the Amalfi Sun (2022) (Italian) A year after their romance began in Riccione, Vincenzo and Camilla reunite for a vacation on the picturesque Amalfi Coast and put their love to the test.

Big Timber Season 2 (2021) A no-nonsense logger and his loyal crew battle brutal elements and finicky machines to chop and transport valuable lumber on Vancouver Island.

Never Stop Dreaming: The Life and Legacy of Shimon Peres (2022) In politics, most pursue power. He pursued peace. Shimon Peres's influence and integrity were instrumental in the founding and preservation

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Resident Evil Season 1 (2022) Years after a viral outbreak caused a global apocalypse, Jade Wesker vows to bring down those responsible while fighting to survive against the Infected

Some decent reviews , some not so decent https://www.metacritic.com/tv/resident-evil-2022/season-1?ref=hp

Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight Season 1 (2022) Legendary warrior Po teams up with an elite English knight on a global quest to rescue magical weapons, restore his reputation -- and save the world!.

Bakugan: Battle Planet Season 1  (2018) Dan Kouzo and his pals bond with mysterious creatures known as Bakugan while fighting sinister forces out to control the world

Added

I know hardcore Resident Evil fans have been wailing about the latest deviant adaptation of their beloved cheese, but I'm still curious if this show is at least entertaining.

i think there are few saying its not scary at all

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched the first episode....the IMDb reviews and ratings are horrendous. I thought it was ok(ish) tbh (the two leads are a bit annoying though) interesting to see something different set in the same universe, it's not as if the film's are some sacred classics! It isn't scary at all but hey it might build to that I guess, I might give it another couple of episodes ..but not sure I will last 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Am on season 2 of better call saul. Not sure if it is crime thriller or comedy, it’s a bit mild to be honest. I heard great things about it. When exactly does it get similar to Breaking Bad?? BB was great from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just stick with it, trust me.

BB was very slow to begin with too, I actually feel that in a few weeks we'll all say BCS is actually a better series overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's probably sacrilege to say this about Breaking Bad, but I just found it grand. Like wouldn't exactly consider it one of the greatest shows ever made like a lot say it is. But saying that, is Better Call Saul more of the same? I suppose no Skyler is a huge positive in favour of Saul.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not really one for constantly comparing them to the way some do because I don't find that an interesting point of discussion, tbh. I've been a fan of Vince Gilligan since his days on The X Files and am very glad to see him get more work and see how his brain works (plus the team he's built). The first trailer for BCS back in January 2015 did nothing for me, but I'm very glad I've followed the show since the start. It is, imo, the most meticulously crafted show out there.

Advertisement