Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I have watched 3 mini dramas recently on netflix.

Innocent a 4 part drama . I really enjoyed this. Good acting and decent storyline. Probably the best of the 3.

National Treasure. Another 4 part drama. Robbie Coltrane is very good in this. He is a washed up comedian who gets accused of doing bad things in his past. It is a little rushed but an easy enough watch.

Kiri. A social worker is handling a case that goes wrong. My least favourite of the 3. Got a little bored by the end. Again a 4 part mini series. The excellent Sarah Lancashire stars

I am halfway through 1883 the prequel to Yellowstone. It is slow enough moving but I love western type shows. (Sorry this one is not on netflix it is available on paramount)

I just killed my dad. A netflix documentary. 3 parts. Easy watch . The main guy has the personality of a stone and it is hard to care what happens him one way or another. Easy watch. It wont be winning any awards. 3 Parts 45-50 mins each.

Post edited by Jarhead_Tendler on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Alone is a very decent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Day Shift (2022) Jamie Foxx stars as a hard working blue collar dad who just wants to provide a good life for his quick-witted daughter, but his mundane San Fernando Valley pool cleaning job is a front for his real source of income, hunting and killing vampires as part of an international Union of vampire hunters.

Code Name: Emperor (2022) (Spanish) An intelligence agent tasked with incriminating a squeaky-clean politician must decide if there are still some lines he won't cross.

A Model Family Season 1 (2022) (Korean) After unwittingly stealing money from a cartel, a cash-strapped professor finds the only way to save his broken family is by working as a drug courier..

13: The Musical (2022) 13 follows young Evan Goldman, as he grapples with his parents’ divorce following a move from New York City to small-town Indiana, prepares for his impending Bar Mitzvah, and navigates the complicated social circles of a new school.

Shabaash Mithu (2022) (Hindi) From child prodigy to trailblazing captain, sports icon Mithali Raj navigates the highs and lows of professional cricket in this coming-of-age drama

The Wedding Party 2: Destination Dubai (2017) In this sequel to the 2016 hit "The Wedding Party," a couple's date night ends in an accidental proposal, sparking a series of chaotic family events.

Never Have I Ever Season 2 (2022) After a traumatic year, an Indian-American teen just wants to spruce up her social status -- but friends, family and feelings won't make it easy on her.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Innocent, Kiri and national treasure were not BBC originally, innocent was ITV and the other two were channel 4. But I agree all three well worth a watch, great casts.

I watched the first episode of the Woodstock 99 doc..it feels padded already doesn't need 3 episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Day Shift looks like something that might be a fun B Movie - or a dud trying too hard for B Movie schlock. Real over-eagerness to pimp the John Wick connections in the trailer;

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just finished Keep Breathing and really enjoyed it .But I had no idea what Danny ( Jeff Wilbush ) was saying throughout the entire show .He muttered with his mouth almost closed and I heard nothing he said .Did he love her ? I have no idea !

Oh sorry. I could have swore they said BBC when I watched. I'm really sorry

Post edited by Jarhead_Tendler on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Does it cover anything that the HBO/Sky Music Box episode didn't, it's almost 2 hours long.

I was pretty familiar with what happened at the time but there was still revelations on the Sky one. Don't want to watch the same over again on the extended Netflix series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No theyre both similar. TBF I enjoyed most of the Netflix one aswell

• Advertisement

Watched the Drowning. 4 part drama about a woman whose son drowned and see's him in her town ten years later. Avoid. not a good 1 in my opinion. Great cast and well acted but the plot does them no favours at all.

Girl In the Picture. True crime documentary. Extremely freaky and a good watch.

The secret . 4 part series based on a true story. James Nesbitt starred . Absolutely loved this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

OBLIVION 2013

Ive watched this several time, it’s an extremely enjoyable popcorn sci fi flick with a beautiful score and some of the best and most beautifully shot apocalyptic landscape you will find in any movie. The director also made 2010s underrated Tron aswell.

The movie starts off with Jack And Victoria who are effectively “a cleanup crew” after an apocalyptic event which left the world in ruins. Like with many sci fi movies like this, I enjoyed the first half moreso for how much in the dark we are on what Is going on and for the slowly unfolding narrative that suggests all is not what it seems.

This was released at a similar time to the wonderful “edge of tomorrow” (probably cruises most fun movie for me) , I’d say it was a solid sci fi combo from cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Yeah, this was accused of being derivative and unoriginal, but it is solid sci-fi (hard sci-fi, even😉), and- regardless of any truth to its detractors claims - extremely enjoyable, as you say.

The Haunted Journey (2006) A tornado transports a little girl and her dog to a land of witches, fairies and talking birds in this animated film inspired by "The Wizard of Oz.".

Rules of the Game (2012) Since the Middle Ages, the residents of a small town have met for a massive game of football, with thousands of players and miles between goals.

The Byzantine Cat (2002) While in Cyprus, a journalist stays with the Moscow State Circus, visits a cat monastery where the felines have miraculous gifts -- and falls in love.

lots of pointless docs added today like

Story of…Sugar (2016) From its discovery in 500 B.C. to the present day, sugar made a rich and complicated journey around the globe to become a staple of the modern-day diet.

Story of…Beef (2016) Trace the history of one of the planet's favorite red meats from prehistoric wild oxen to food staple found in cultures around the globe.

Story of…Cheese (2016) Skillful makers help show the rich traditions and elaborate productions behind cheese, beloved -- and devoured -- around the globe.

Added

Memento (2000) Suffering short-term memory loss after a head injury, Leonard Shelby embarks on a grim quest to find the lowlife who murdered his wife.

A Clean Sweep (2022) (Korean) Amateur baseball players go up against legendary pros in a championship to determine the ultimate winning team.

the above is an ep added every week

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Caquas

A fascinating insight into the corrupted world of music promotors, including Ozzie Kilkenny, formerly of U2.

It is largely forgotten that the original Woodstock was an organisational disaster - insane traffic jams, horrible weather, grossly inadequate facilities - but those problems were mainly because no one imagined that a half-million people would turn up, mainly without tickets. It became a financial success only because of the movie.

In 1999, the problems began at the very beginning and were caused by greed. The organisers picked the least Woodstock-like venue (a disused air force base with miles of concrete that became unbearably hot over that weekend) because it saved them money in many ways, not least because it had a military-grade perimeter fence (numbe one lesson from 1969!).

The organisers then "outsourced" all the services i.e. they paid for nothing so the garbage wasn't cleaned up, the portaloos were not emptied over a scorching weekend and the vendors' price gouging knew no bounds.

I wonder who Netflix paid for this documentary? There is a lot of footage of people being outrageous which seems to come from the video made for the pay-per-view programming around the festival. The video makers quickly realised that people going crazy is much better television than what was happening on stage.

The music was mostly horrible (at least what we hear) and the audience was horrible to female performers. Korn/Limp bizkit/RedHotChillis were the headliners and did everything possible to ramp up the aggression in the crowd. The main organiser, John Scher, tries to defend these choices by saying he didn't know these groups and relied on the musical judgement of his partner Michael Lang. Let that comment sink in. I don't know what Ossie Kilkenny was doing but there he was with these two bozos being interviewed as one of the main organisers. James Brown threatened not to go on until he got paid (quite right!) but changed his mind when he saw the huge crowd.

The amazing thing is no one died in this weekend of carnage. (Three died at the original Woodstock.) It was nasty to hear John Scher relativise the four reported rapes but it seems there were only 44 arrests, of which just one was for sexual assault. That probably reflects the lack of security during the utter chaos of the weekend.

Four Wives - One Man (2007) (Persian) Award-winning documentarian Nahid Persson paints an intimate portrait of a man, his four wives and his outspoken mother living in an Iranian village

Learn to Swim (2021) A talented but tortured saxophonist begins a stormy romance with a spirited jazz singer as music, memories and the sorrow of loss collide.

Model Season 1 (2020) Competitors from across South Africa face off before expert judges and vie for an international modeling contract and the title of "Ultimate Model."

Slender Man (2018) Desperate to find their missing friend, a group of girls summons the entity they believe took her -- the evil legend of Internet lore, Slender Man..

Chesapeake Shores Season 6 ep 1 then weekly (2022) When she returns to the small Maryland hometown her father founded, a successful career woman and single mom considers staying and setting down roots.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Usually not a fan of anthology shows, but I'm definitely interested in this - Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. Drops one episode per day in the run up to Halloween, and seems to be relying entirely on practical effects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This looks like a Korean Baby Driver, with a dash of Fast & Furious;

Heartening to see Netflix hasn't totally given to throwing cash at auteurs to make whatever. Some exciting names on the list of director - do we know if DelToro himself is helming any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Heartening to see Netflix hasn't totally given to throwing cash at auteurs to make whatever. Some exciting names on the list of director - do we know if DelToro himself is helming any?

No, he's not directing any episodes although I think he's written a few of them, and is acting as show-runner and series host.

As well as the choice directors, there are some nice casting picks too; Tim Blake Nelson, Essie Davis, David Hewlett, Rupert Grint, Crispin Glover, F. Murray Abraham, Andrew Lincoln, Kate Micucci, and Martin Starr amongst many others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Have to say i'm looking forward to this, thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

That looks class

Somewhat surprised to see Jennifer Kent return to horror; the Nightingale seemed like a big enough swerve from the genre I presumed she wanted to go elsewhere. Excited to see what she might do next 'cos The Babadook would rank highly in any Best of 2010s horror IMO.

BETTER CALL SAUL FINALE

Untold: The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist (2022) From Notre Dame to the NFL, Manti Te'o's future in football showed promise until a secret online relationship sent his life and career spiraling.

Kindergarten Cop (1990) A cop gets more than he bargained for when he goes undercover as a kindergarten teacher to get the goods on a drug lord while guarding the man's son.

Kindergarten Cop 2 (2016) A hard-edged FBI agent goes undercover as a kindergarten teacher to recover stolen Witness Protection Program data in this action-comedy sequel.

The Little Rascals Save the Day (2014) Updating the classic 1930s series for a new generation of fans, a mischievous gang of third graders wreaks comedic havoc on their surroundings.

Darkest Hour (2017) As the threat of Nazi invasion looms, newly appointed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill rallies a nation to fight for its very survival.

Split (2016) A man with multiple identities abducts three teenage girls, who must find a way to escape before his newest, most dangerous personality takes over

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014) Resurrected from the 1960s animated series "Rocky and Bullwinkle," canine genius Mr. Peabody and young Sherman take a dizzying ride through time.

Sense and Sensibility (1995) Facing poverty after their father's death, three sisters are obliged to rely on the generosity of others in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.

Tower Heist (2011) When a group of workers at a ritzy Manhattan condo realize their boss has swindled them out of their pensions, they vow to reap their own justice.

Warcraft (2016) Humans and orcs clash when Draenor's warriors arrive at Azeroth through a portal in this fantasy tale based on the popular video game.

Death Race 2 (2010) When a bank robbery goes awry, a getaway driver is sent to a private prison, where he must take part in a deadly competition and race for his freedom

Death Race 3: Inferno (2013) One victory away from securing his freedom, a fan-favorite race car driver takes part in a brutal contest among fellow prisoners in the Kalahari Desert.

Repo Men (2010) ] In a future where artificial organs are readily available via credit, an organ repo man goes on the run when he can't make payments on his own ticker.

Tim Dillon: A Real Hero (2022) Tim Dillon rants about fast food, living in Texas, Disney adults and the reason no one should be called a hero

The Last House on the Left (2009) A couple show kindness to a group of strangers who have just assaulted their daughter. Once they learn the truth, they set out on a plan for revenge.

Bring It On: In It to Win It (2007) Carson sets out to guide her squad to victory and takes on a competitive rival in a one-on-one battle, as they both fight for one guy's affection.

The Mummy (2017) A treasure-hunting soldier reawakens an ancient Egyptian princess who has waited for centuries to take revenge on a world that wronged her.

The Great Wall (2016) Searching for gunpowder in Song dynasty China, European mercenaries discover an epic war being waged between the country's heroes and savage monsters..

The Unborn (2009) Tortured by frightening dreams at night and a young boy's ghost during the day, a teen turns to a spiritual adviser for help in this eerie thriller..

Antz (1998) A neurotic worker ant tired of the daily grind risks it all to win the heart of an independent-minded princess and keep their colony safe..

Big Fat Liar (2002) Junior high students Jason and Kaylee take action when a greedy Hollywood producer turns Jason's essay into a hit film without giving him credit

About Time (2013) When Tim learns that the men in his family can travel in time and change their own lives, he decides to go back and win the woman of his dreams.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aliceob86

I watched the Irish movie 'you're not my mother' last weekend and I highly recommend it. I usually don't like horrors but this was fantastic. Also the acting was surprisingly good too!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Damn, Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities has a great list of directors for a horror anthology series. Was already interested because even the flawed Del Toro projects still have something about them that I like, but after watching the trailer I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Untold: The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist (2022) From Notre Dame to the NFL, Manti Te'o's future in football showed promise until a secret online relationship sent his life and career spiraling.

This is a good watch. Crazy really how it ended up. In my opinion theres a person in this that should have been jailed.

• Advertisement

High Heat Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) When clues to his brother's murder lead Poncho to a fire brigade, he joins it to investigate further and finds romance, family... and a serial killer.

Look Both Ways (2022) Lili Reinhart stars as Natalie, a young woman whose life diverges into two different paths on the night of her college graduation. In one life, she becomes pregnant and must navigate motherhood as a young adult in her hometown and in the other she moves to LA to pursue her career. In both journeys, Natalie experiences life-changing love, pursues her dream career as an artist, and rediscovers herself.

Unsuspicious Season 1 (2022) (Brazilian) Conned by the same playboy, three women and their families go to his mansion to get answers -- and must stay for an investigation when he's found dead.

Royalteen (2022) (Norwegian) A teenager struggles to keep her scandal-ridden past and a big secret from getting out when she strikes up an unlikely romance with the crown prince.

Ultraviolet Season 2 (2019) (Polish) [New Episodes] An online community of amateur sleuths use technology to solve crimes -- and make quirky friends -- in their quest for justice..

Added

Advertisement