Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

RRR is insanely brilliant!!

Bit long, but definitely insane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Still waiting for the English dub, curious as to when it'll be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Cobra Kai Season 5 (2022) Decades after the tournament that changed their lives, the rivalry between Johnny and Daniel reignites in this sequel to the "Karate Kid" films.

Narco-Saints Season 1 (2022) (Korean) An ordinary entrepreneur joins a secret government mission to capture a Korean drug lord operating in South America. Based on true events.

No Limit (2022) (French) An extraordinarily talented young woman finds deep, destructive love with her record-holding freediving instructor in this visually arresting romantic drama.

End of the Road (2022) Recently widowed mom Brenda fights to protect her family during a harrowing road trip when a murder and a missing bag of cash plunge them into danger.

Soul (2017) (Spanish) Peering into the kitchens of legendary chefs Eneko Atxa and Jiro Ono, this film explores the deep traditions of Basque and Japanese cuisines.

Love Between Fairy and Devil Season 1 (2022) (Mandarin) When a low-ranked fairy accidentally resurrects a powerful demon, their fates become cosmically entangled as the world is thrown into turmoil

Kajillionaire (2020) A clan of idiosyncratic grifters encounter a woman who soon connects with the emotionally bereft daughter and stirs up fraught family dynamics.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Kajillionaire a few weeks ago. It's a bit of an odd one, very funny in places, but sad too. You'll never be able to look at Evan Rachel Wood again without seeing the way she walks below the fence in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am sure it has been mentioned before but there is a little gem of a film (not new) on Netflix (which doesnt get half the praise it deserves) Son of Rambow.

It has aged terrifically well, Will Poulter is absolutely brilliant in it.

• Advertisement

Killer Elite (2011) In this globe-trotting thriller, a former special ops agent is forced out of retirement when his mentor is kidnapped by a ruthless criminal.

Ada Twist, Scientist Season 3 (2022) Pint-sized scientist Ada Twist and her two best friends are asking big questions -- and working together to discover the truth about everything!

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Netflix Considering Shift Towards Weekly Releases

Is the binge era coming to an end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope so; I know people prefer binging but I think that's a big reason why so much of Netflix's output gets absolutely buried by the algorithm. If X people aren't binging it after a week then it's a "failure" and you get these small gems getting lost when they could have built up a weekly, hype-grown audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

100% agree that weekly releases create a much better hype / get people talking rather than releasing a whole season at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It makes complete sense given it's a subscription service.

I saw a few people involved behind the scenes on some new shows basically telling people on twitter if they're interested in any new shows to watch all the episodes as soon as they're released, or even just to let them all play through in the background even if you're not able to sit down and watch them for a week or two. 28 days is the window for whether something gets renewed or not, which relies on big opening weekend numbers, and then allows a very short time for word of mouth.

I guess it's a better model than if a show brings in new subscribers or not, which was unsustainable once subscriptions reached a certain level. This new 28 day thing isn't really sustainable either, which is probably why they're all leaning towards the one ep a week system now.

It definitely works though. I subscribed to Apple + for For All Mankind, which needed 2 months, and now I've had to keep it for Bad Sisters. So they ended up getting probably 5 or 6 months out of me instead of maybe only 1 if they released everything at once.

It's also just a better method for encouraging conversations and allowing people to actually absorb and think about what they're watching. There's nothing worse for me than watching a really good episode of something and going online to see if anyone's talking about it and everyone's already finished the whole season and haven't actually absorbed any of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess the Netflix programming model - to just firehose the subscriber with sheer volume - worked fine when they were the dominant Service around & the subscriptions were only going up; viewers probably found it trivial to binge a show. But as you point out, there are others out there, putting out weekly nibbles that entice better than the 5-10 trashy productions Netflix shoved out the door that same month.

Apple+ has definitely surprised & accounted for a lot of my watching the last 6 months - all watched an episode here and there, we never binge.

Even Boards' own TV forum has seen that shrinking of engagement that you speak to in the last paragraph: a show gets released in the AM, and two days later the thread's dead, basically. A smattering of posts in the interim about having watched it over the space of a day lol. Netflix shows, I mean; Apple & Amazon with their weekly/hybrid release models are nearly always more active.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say I really enjoyed ,'I Came By'

I won't ruin it but I was surprised by some of the things that happened in the house.

I've also just watched All My Life, about a young couple who meet and one gets terminal cancer. Yep total chick flick, so I loved it but I know my husband would hate it.

It's kind of funny that what we're esentially talking about here is just how TV always worked up until a few years ago. Maybe it's an age thing, but I notice even when BBC puts an entire show online but only does an episode a week on TV, most people tend to still watch weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone watched the trapped spin off?

It seems to be called entrapped?

Not just age, bit circumstance! I have 2 kids both under 2 years and plain reality is, I don't have the freetime to binge - even if I wanted to. We watch shows more akin to, as you say, fadó fadó when TV series were weekly check-ins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Entrapped - yes I watched it, turned out quite good after what I felt was a ponderous start. I am a sucker for Icelandic stuff but story was well done, plenty of red herrings and twists

Watched the Woodstock 99 series yesterday. Mad sheeeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Anyone seen the new season of Marcella? Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Haven't got to it yet but hoping to make inroads tomorrow, will update.. Would have looked sooner but thought i'd already seen it after googling series numbers which seemed out of sync from bbc to netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep I watched it.

Set in the North.

Entertaining as long as you dont mind implausible plots 😁

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Season 1 (2022) (Japanese) In a dystopia riddled with corruption and cybernetic implants, a talented but reckless street kid strives to become a mercenary outlaw -- an edgerunner

Jo Koy: Live from the Los Angeles Forum (2022) Jo Koy owns the stage in a rousing stand-up set about public sneezing, perseverance, the indignities of sleep apnea and getting lost in the Philippines.

Thoroughbreds (2017) Rich teens Lily and Amanda rekindle a friendship and discover a common passion: They both hate Lily's despicable stepfather. A killer plan is born..

Added

Thoroughbreds is fantastic. When I eventually got around to watching Parasite earlier this year Thoroughbreds was what it reminded me most of. Can't recommend it enough. Go into it as blind as you can.

This drops in a couple of weeks; the art-style was what stood out, looking like a riff on the approach taken with Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse.

Heartbreak High Season 1 (2022) An incendiary mural exposes everyone's secret hook-ups at Hartley High. Its author, Amerie, has to grapple with the messy fallouts as a total outcast

The Lørenskog Disappearance Limited Series (2022) Limited Series (Norwegian) When a billionaire's wife vanishes, Norwegian police must deal with the frenzied press and deceitful informants to find the truth. Based on real events

Sins of Our Mother Limited Series (2022) When Lori Vallow's kids vanished, the search for them unearthed a trail of suspicious deaths, a new husband who shared her doomsday views -- and murder.

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

100% agree with this.

Watched both Deceit and Devil in Ohio. Both okay. Wouldn't go further than that. They'd fill a void! The latter probably would irk a few folks.

I watched the first episode of the new Heartbreak High, just out of pure curiosity this morning.

I really don't know what to make of it. It doesn't feel like something that was made to appeal to anyone who remembers the old one, but at the same time it does have something about it that feels nostalgic? I don't know, maybe it's just the Australian-ness of it all.

I liked some of it, the main character is very likable, I laughed a few times. But then some of it felt like 35 year olds writing what they think teenagers are how? Or maybe they do all talk like they do on stan twitter? I genuinely don't know.

They are allowed curse in this one, which unfortunately means nobody says "rack off!", but one of the characters is the child of an old character who did appear at the end of the episode, so I'll probably give it another episode just to see.

The karate kid 1,2 & 3 plus the next karate kid & the remake/reboot with Jackie Chan

Terim Limited series (2022) (Turkish) Legendary manager Fatih Terim recounts his football journey, from his playing days to coaching and leading several teams to championship glory.

Footloose (2011) Stuck in a small town where dancing is illegal, a big-city teen challenges the law as he falls in love with the local reverend's rebellious daughter

The Least Expected Day: Inside the Movistar Team Season 3 (2022) (Spanish) [New Episodes] Pro cycling's Movistar Team sets their sights on victory while on the road as they face challenges, controversy and internal conflict.

Dogs in Space Season 2(2021) Fetch -- a new planet for us all! With Earth in danger, desperate scientists send genetically enhanced dogs into space to find a new world to call home.

Added

• Advertisement

new poster , looking forward to this

Advertisement