Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I've said before I have absolutely nothing against them; as you say there's clearly an audience out there - but when the come, boom; here comes a bajillion Uptight City Girls, ready to learn the true meaning of small-town decency thanks to the local handsome Laird, Carpenter, Doctor, Hotel owner etc. etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I fall on the side of happily acknowledging they have an audience while also absolutely having something against said films 😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Synchronic and My Father's Dragon are the two standouts for November for me.

I'm a big fan of Benson & Moorhead's work so already own Synchronic on Bluray, but it's well worth a look if you like weird science-fiction. And more Cartoon Saloon output is always a good thing in my book 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Good Nurse (2022) An overburdened ICU nurse leans on her selfless new colleague at work and at home — until a patient’s unexpected death casts him in a suspicious light. Eddie Redmayne and Jessica Chastain star in Tobias Lindholm’s true crime drama.

Captains season 1 (2022) From heartbreak to triumph, this docuseries follows six football captains and their teams as they vie for a qualifying spot in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Fugitive: The Curious Case of Carlos Ghosn (2022) ] From his rise as a business mogul to his plummet into international notoriety, this true crime documentary examines the bizarre story of Carlos Ghosn.

Robbing Mussolini (2022) (Italian) At the end of WWII, a ragtag group of resistance fighters plans an impossible heist: to steal Mussolini's treasure from Milan's fascist headquarters

Hellhole (2022) (Polish) In 1987 Poland, a police officer investigating mysterious disappearances infiltrates a remote monastery -- and discovers a dark truth about its clergy.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caught Wendell & Wild during its brief cinema release before it hits Netflix on Friday. It is Henry Selick's (Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline etc...) latest stop-motion animation after a lengthy hiatus, and it's very much a ghoulish delight. Pacing-wise it is a mess, honestly, but it's so full of fun ideas and pleasingly eccentric images that it's well worth going along for the ride. Selick worked with Jordan Peele on the script (Key & Peele also voice the titular demons), and I think the two filmmakers' sensibilities work well together. Not every day you get raising the dead hijinks and anti private prison themes into the same script 😅 It very much looks and sounds the part too: its rock and punk soundtrack - very unusual for an animated film - perfectly fits with its characters and tone.

The ending is relatively conventional compared to what came before, but still it's fun to see a creative director working pretty unrestrained and being able to bring their totally idiosyncratic vision to life. I do think it might work best for teenagers and adults who grew up with Selick's work rather than younger kids, but it's well worth a look for anyone who has liked his previous films.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

We watched The Stranger the other night - it's not the mess some of the reviews make it out to be, though I was familiar with the story before watching and the missus wasn't so had to explain some parts to her. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Casefile did a fantastic podcast on this case a few years back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's funny in a year that Netflix have been cancelling and laying off a lot of animated projects/staff, they've actually got a really good film line up, and although it won't happen, they've got enough good animated films there to nearly fill the category at the Oscars. I'm not sure if The Sea Beast got the necessary cinema release to qualify it, but between that, Wendell & Wilde, GDT's Pinnochio, and My Father's Dragon, I'd love to see a Disney and/or Pixar shut out this year.

‘Lockwood & Co.’ Teaser: Joe Cornish’s Netflix Ghost-Hunting Series Is Arriving In January

Back at the beginning of the pandemic, in May 2020, it was announced that Edgar Wright & Joe Cornish, were creating a production company and teaming with Netflix on a variety of projects. The first project to come from that deal is “Lockwood & Co.”

A girl with extraordinary psychic abilities joins two gifted teen boys at a small ghost-hunting agency to fight the many deadly spirits haunting London.

release date Jan 27th 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone started Cabinet of Curiosities yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched episode one...it was decent..not amazing (story was slight and predictable) but I will watch more.

It looks really expensive and decent talent on screen and behind the camera.

The clip at the end showing bits of the rest of the series looked really exciting!

Of the batch of 4 available seemingly episode 3 is the strongest.

There is a thread on here dedicated to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Trent and Gomez

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Apologies wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭archfi

1 and 2 were not very good but I enjoyed 3 and 4 is decent enough imo

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

Looking for recommendations from anybody who likes Period Dramas. We loved "Bridgerton" and looking for something similar, we started on "Persuasion" tonight. We just couldn't get into it. We found it too slow and serious.

Earthstorm Season 1 (2022) Storm chasers, survivors and first responders recount their harrowing experiences with volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes

Romantic Killer Season 1 (2022) (Japanese) Living her best single life, romance is the last thing on Anzu's mind -- until a tiny match-making wizard suddenly turns her life into a clichéd romcom..

Daniel Spellbound Season 1 (2022) In New York City, a teenage tracker makes his living selling hard-to-find mystical items to sorcerers -- but dealing in magic can be risky business..

Beyond the Universe (2022) (Brazilian) While waiting for a kidney transplant, a young pianist finds an unexpected connection with her doctor -- and the courage to fulfill her musical dreams.

Tan France: Beauty and the Bleach (2022) The "Queer Eye" fashion expert digs into his youthful, now-regretted pursuit of lighter skin, and explores colorism within minority communities.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Joe Cornish is a name I think should figure way more than he does.

Finished The Watcher last night. Pile of dung.

Last two episodes peter out to a rubbish ending. A couple of episodes were entertaining but that story was in no way worthy of a series.

Stephen!!

Ah I used to love the Adam and Joe podcast.

I absolutely loved Attack the block and in fairness I thought the kid who would be king was a very solid family film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Playlist was excellent. Each episode focuses on a different individual and their involvement in the start-up Spotify. Doesn’t end as you’d think it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Quite the cast in this one, and Cooper has made some watchable films. Streaming in early January.

I see Netflix has acquired S1+2 of Girls5Eva from Peacock and will be making S3 aswell. Its a comedy about a girl band that had one big hit in the early 2000s, and then flopped when their album, "Quit Flying Planes In My Heart" came out on Sept 10th 2001. When a rapper samples their hit in his new song, getting them some attention, they decide to make another go of it.

I've watched it on Now TV and its pretty enjoyable if a little uneven at times. Be interesting to see what Netflix does with it for S3.

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) (German) When 17-year-old Paul joins the Western Front in World War I, his initial excitement is soon shattered by the grim reality of life in the trenches.

Big Mouth Season 6 (2022) Teenage friends find their lives upended by the wonders and horrors of puberty in this edgy comedy from real-life pals Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg..

Shards of Her Season 1 (2022) (Mandarin) Waking up from a coma, an accomplished headhunter finds herself in an alternate reality where she has to revisit an excruciating childhood trauma..

Indian Predator: Murder in a Courtroom (2022) 3 Episodes In 2004, a brutal predator was lynched in a courtroom. This is the story of the community he terrorized -- and the vengeance they unleashed.

Wild Is the Wind (2022) When two corrupt police officers investigate the brutal murder of a young girl, tensions come to a head in their small, racially-segregated town.

Wendell & Wild (2022) Two scheming demons strike a deal with a punk rock-loving teen so they can leave the Underworld and live out their dreams in the Land of the Living

The Bastard Son & The Devil Himself Season 1 (2022) Caught between two warring clans, the son of a notorious witch responsible for a deadly massacre tries to find his place in the world -- and his powers.

My Encounter with Evil Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) Real people who believe their lives were touched by demonic possession recount their experiences through reenactments and testimonies.

If Only Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) Ten years into a disappointing marriage, Emma is struggling to cope -- until she gets an unbelievable opportunity to live the past decade all over again.

Drink Masters Season 1 (2022) World-class mixologists showcase their dazzling cocktail-crafting skills as they compete for a $100K prize -- and the title of Ultimate Drink Master.

A Killer's Mistake (2019) 2 Seasons Find out how investigators successfully solved real-life murder cases through the crucial, telltale clues that led them to the killers..

Poacher (2018) A daring farmer steals illicit ivory from a group of international terrorists and must elude their dangerous and deadly games..

Added

Can't say I'm "looking forward" to All Quiet... given its whole theme and tone, but definitely enthused to watch it.

The Bastard Son etc.... is getting good reviews but there's been so many "teen gets powers" kind of things over the past couple of years that my brain just switches off 20 seconds into the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Based on this it's likely you don't enjoy period dramas.

Bridgerton isn't exactly a great example of a period drama, so liking it doesn't necessarily mean you'll like other period dramas. But to be fair, that new version of Persuasion was absolute s**t.

The 2020 version of Emma was pretty good, but I'm not sure it's still on Netflix. Marie Antoinette maybe, or Love & Friendship. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies is also fun, but also I think not on Netflix.

It is a giggle alright and some of the songs are catchy! The Wickie character (Renee Elise Goldsberry) is one of the highlights.

I would say it could definitely find an audience on Netflix it is a very easy one to binge.

Great to hear a season 3 is still on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭cozar

All quiet on the western front is the most harrowing movie I’ve ever watched

• Advertisement

Wickie is definitely the best character. She's like the Titus from Kimmy Schmidt or Jenna from 30 Rock character. And yes, the songs are great. I regularly find myself humming Big Pussy Energy.

Advertisement