Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm assuming Netflix aren't doing new dubs for the Ghibli movies like they did with Evangelion?

I've still plenty to watch but they're films that don't seem like ones I'd be interested in only for them to be really enjoyable, like Porco Rosso

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What Did Jack Do? is 15 minutes of greatness from David Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was disappointed with season 2 of You after a solid opening season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

El Duda wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies is possibly the best film i've ever seen. I don't like using phrases like this as it sounds a bit pretentious but I'd say that watching it 'enrichens the soul'. It is a masterpiece.
    I thought it was grand. Don’t remember it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow just finished the Hernendez document.

3rd episode is unreal. Some twists + turns.

I take it back great documentary 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Never seen a Ghibli movie. Are they suitable for kids? Specifically in my case an 11 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Fortune Feimster: Sweet & Salty
    Actor, comedian and writer Fortune Feimster takes the stage and riffs on her southern roots, sexual awakenings, showbiz career and more.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Quazzie wrote: »
    Never seen a Ghibli movie. Are they suitable for kids? Specifically in my case an 11 year old?

Absolutely

What’s Coming to Netflix in feb

February 1st:
    Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015)
    Castle in the Sky (1986)
    For Keeps (1988)
    Hush (1998)
    In This Corner of the World (2016)
    Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
    Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions the Movie: Take on Me (2018)
    Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!: Rikka Version (2014)
    Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir: Season 3
    My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (2018)
    My Life (1993)
    My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Blood Prison (2011)
    Naruto Shippûden the Movie: Bonds (2008)
    Naruto Shippûden the Movie: The Will of Fire (2009)
    Naruto Shippûden the Movie (2007)
    Naruto Shippuden: The Movie: The Lost Tower (2010)
    Naruto the Movie 2: Legend of the Stone of Gelel (2005)
    Naruto the Movie 3: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (2006)
    Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (2004)
    Ocean Waves (1993)
    Only Yesterday (1991)
    Porco Rosso (1992)
    Tales From Earthsea (2006)
    The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl (2017)
    The Promise (2016)

February 2nd:
    Lady Bird (2017)

February 3rd:
    Team Kaylie: Part 3

February 4th
    Tom Papa: You’re Doing Great! (2020) N

February 5th:
    The Pharmacist: Limited Series

February 6th:
    Cagaster of an Insect Cage: Season 1

February 7th:
    Dragons: Rescue Riders: Season 2
    My Holo Love: Season 1
    Locke & Key: Season 1

February 12th
    To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You (2020)

February 13th
    Dragon Quest: Your Story (2020)
    Love Is Blind: Season 1
    Narcos: Mexico: Season 2

February 14th:
    Cable Girls: Season 5 Part 1
    Isi & Ossi (2020)
    February 27th:
    Followers: Season 1

February 28th:
    All the Bright Places (2020)
    Queen Sono: Season 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh god yes - many of them are perfect for kids. My Neighbour Totoro is IMO the greatest family film ever made, and the likes of Spirited Away, Ponyo, Laputa, Kiki and Arrietty are designed for all ages. Princess Mononoke is pitched at a somewhat older audience and is quite violent at times, and the less fantastical ones like Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday and From Up On Poppy Hill might be a bit tough for kids to sit through... but I wish I’d had the pleasure of discovering many of the others when I was a kid :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think Kids would go for The Wind Rises either, it's basically a biopic that just happens to be animated. Brilliant film though.....

Kiki/Totorro/Ponyo and Arriety all jump out as being perfect for kids though.
    I saw Nausicca when I was very young and loved it too, didn't even know it was a ghiblie/Miyazaki film until i was in my twenties but always remembered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Finished season 14 of IASiP. Have to say I found it overall quite weak, sure there were some hilarious laugh out loud moments, however I think it is past its best. Not sure how much longer they can go on with the show, 14 seasons is a bit much... and I did get the impression that the last episode was code for 'we are tired of this'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

My daughter is 4 and she loved Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Howls Moving Castle.

I left them on in the background as an experiment to see if they would catch her interest and she was hooked by the end. Has seen Spirited Away about 3 or 4 times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I ended up seeing Spirited Away quite randomly one night about 20 years ago and it's always stuck in my mind as an excellent film. Will be looking forward to getting into the studio's other films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wow new season of Narcos is coming soon. Fantastic stuff, tho I didn’t think Mexico 1 was as good as any of Colombia. Hope there will be a bit more of Juarez of 2000s in this season.

In contrast, I found Studio Ghibli to be overrated. I watched a few on the reputation but all of them left me with a sense of "Is that it?". I couldn't tell you the plot of any of them. They haven't stuck with at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is Uncut Gems coming to Netflix at end of month? Saw it mentioned somewhere but didn't know was it specific regions only.

Watched last night and it was absolutely top-notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just finished binging The Mind of Aaron Hernandez and really enjoyed it, not a fan of American Football and didn't know anything about this guy going into it so would advise those who watch it not to Google the story before watching it. Have to say I preferred it over Don't F@@k with Cats. So well worth a watch.

I was the opposite. Loved Dont **** With Cats and found The Mind of Aaron Hernandez only mildly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Basq wrote: »
    Is Uncut Gems coming to Netflix at end of month? Saw it mentioned somewhere but didn't know was it specific regions only.

Watched last night and it was absolutely top-notch!

Yep. January 31st afaik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thought Dracula was coming to Netflix this weekend or is that just the US?
    FYI - seems to be available on Netflix UK now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Altered Carbon' is back on February 27th for its second season.

adox wrote: »
    I was the opposite. Loved Dont **** With Cats and found The Mind of Aaron Hernandez only mildly interesting.

Agreed, was bit disappointed with the Hernandez series. There was too much emphasis on the CTE and not enough focus on him being a badass and ganging with other gangsters. Also there wasn’t enough showing of him being a top star in nfl and what he threw away as result of his actions. Tho to be honest he didn’t seem too interested in wealth or even sports. He came across as a major dope and very laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished season 14 of IASiP. Have to say I found it overall quite weak, sure there were some hilarious laugh out loud moments, however I think it is past its best. Not sure how much longer they can go on with the show, 14 seasons is a bit much... and I did get the impression that the last episode was code for 'we are tired of this'.

Same, spark seems to be going. Also they're missing some big characters like pondi, the mcpoyles and cricket.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Watched safe in 2 nights, thought it was a great watch

onto the sinner season one now!!

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Watched safe in 2 nights, thought it was a great watch
    If you liked 'Safe, a new series from same creator and author is on Netflix from 30th January - 'The Stranger'.

Trailer below:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Basq wrote: »
    If you liked 'Safe, a new series from same creator and author is on Netflix from 30th January - 'The Stranger'.

Trailer below:

oh fantastic, thanks for letting me know....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I just finished season 2 of You. Probably the best thing I've seen on Netflix since Breaking Bad. Can't wait for season 3..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ixoy wrote: »
    'Altered Carbon' is back on February 27th for its second season.

Excellent news and show. Will give the 1st season a rewatch.

job seeker wrote: »
    I just finished season 2 of You. Probably the best thing I've seen on Netflix since Breaking Bad. Can't wait for season 3..

I thought is wasn’t great. Season 1 was ok, 2 was average at best. Don’t think the LA setting worked, tried to rehash everything from season 1, and the whole family situation of the love interest was just weird. The twist at the end was ok I guess.

• Advertisement

Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak
    In this docuseries, meet the heroes on the front lines of the battle against influenza and learn about their efforts to stop the next global outbreak

added

Advertisement