Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thought is wasn’t great. Season 1 was ok, 2 was average at best. Don’t think the LA setting worked, tried to rehash everything from season 1, and the whole family situation of the love interest was just weird. The twist at the end was ok I guess.

I struggled through Season 1. The series needs to be darker in my opinion. I'm two episodes into Season 2 and I'm enjoying it a little more than S1 so far because if they aren't going to make the series dark they may as well make it over the top and silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

ixoy wrote: »
    'Altered Carbon' is back on February 27th for its second season.

I might give this another shot, couldn’t get into it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought Altered Carbon was phenomenal. I've no idea what they spent on it, but it was one of the slickest looking productions I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    Thought Altered Carbon was phenomenal. I've no idea what they spent on it, but it was one of the slickest looking productions I've ever seen.

According to the thread in the TV forum, the budget was reportedly $9 million an episode. As speculated there too, that money probably ensures there's unlikely to be a season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

pixelburp wrote: »
    According to the thread in the TV forum, the budget was reportedly $9 million an episode. As speculated there too, that money probably ensures there's unlikely to be a season 3.

Joel Kinnaman replaced by Anthony Mackie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,605 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I struggled through Season 1. The series needs to be darker in my opinion. I'm two episodes into Season 2 and I'm enjoying it a little more than S1 so far because if they aren't going to make the series dark they may as well make it over the top and silly!
    I watched some of s1 but I gave up after that episode where they bizarrely went to some Renaissance fair?!? Not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭cmac2009

greysolive wrote: »
    Currently watching Suburra on Netflix, came across it looking for something else :)

Basic synopsis, several criminal elements are trying to secure a piece of valuable real estate from the Catholic church.

Underrated series imo. The film of the same name is also worth watching - it's accompanied by a brilliant soundtrack from M83.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Looking at the Feb list people shouldn't sleep on The night is short, Walk on Girl if there looking for more animated films after watching Ghibli. Light on plot like a lot of animated films but its a great, pleasant booze filled romp about college aged kids going about in a single night in Kyoto with fantastical elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

appledrop wrote: »
    Wow just finished the Hernendez document.

3rd episode is unreal. Some twists + turns.

I take it back great documentary 9/10

Totally agree.

Fascinating watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s a lot. Is that an increase on the budget they spent on season 1?

Im in the middle of Lost in Space S:2, and although I’m enjoying it and it looks great, I’m getting the feeling that they didn’t spend as much on S:2 as they did on the first one.

AC has to be a contender for one of the best looking TV shows out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭strawdog

sweetie wrote: »
    Joel Kinnaman replaced by Anthony Mackie

That's the lead guy is it? That's good news if so, remember liking the show other than finding your man's acting off-puttingly bad. Could become something special now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

kerplun k wrote: »
    That’s a lot. Is that an increase on the budget they spent on season 1?

Im in the middle of Lost in Space S:2, and although I’m enjoying it and it looks great, I’m getting the feeling that they didn’t spend as much on S:2 as they did on the first one.

AC has to be a contender for one of the best looking TV shows out there.

Apparently that IS the season 1 budget, so not sure what they're spending on season 2.

Funny, I'd have said Lost in Space got more money, the first couple of episodes looked blockbuster, with lots more monsters and CGI since. What's AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Apparently that IS the season 1 budget, so not sure what they're spending on season 2.

Funny, I'd have said Lost in Space got more money, the first couple of episodes looked blockbuster, with lots more monsters and CGI since. What's AC?

altered carbon :D

With Lost in space, I’m only 4 eps in, so thinking it could be the lack of a certain character that has me thinking that about the budget.

kerplun k wrote: »
    altered carbon :D

With Lost in space, I’m only 4 eps in, so thinking it could be the lack of a certain character that has me thinking that about the budget.

Oh yeah, of course lol. Dunno, Carbons visuals didn't stick with me quite as much as other shows. Seemed to have only 4 or 5 sets so the 9 million feels like a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Airplane Mode
    When Ana, an influencer, crashes her car while talking on the phone, she's shipped to her grumpy grandfather's farm -- and forced into a digital detox.

Alex Fernández: The Best Comedian in the World
    Alex Fernández performs his familiar autobiographical stories but goes a little deeper this time with a tender tale about one of his six siblings.

The Ghost Bride
    In 1890s Malacca, Li Lan finds herself in the afterlife and becomes mired in a mystery linked to the sinister, deceased son of a wealthy family.

The Last Witch Hunter

October Faction season 1
    The family drama gets downright monstrous as parents Fred and Deloris hunt the supernatural, and twins Viv and Geoff harbor their own strange secrets.

The Queen (1968)
    From wartime drafts to evening gowns, this candid time capsule documents a 1967 beauty pageant that offers an inside look at competitive drag.

SAINT SEIYA: Knights of the Zodiac(manga) season 2
    Seiya and the Knights of the Zodiac rise again to protect the reincarnation of the goddess Athena, but a dark prophecy hangs over them all.

Spy
    Ted 2

Victorious season 3

added

tomorrow we have Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 3

here's whats leaving over the next month or so

24th January
    The Good Catholic
    Happy End

25th January
    Baywatch (2017)

27th January
    Juana Ines

28th January
    Gorky Park

29th January
    Patient Seventeen

1st February
    LoliRock
    Pioneers of African-American Cinema
    Spartacus (2013)
    Wartime Portraits
    Yoko

7th February
    Geronimo Stilton

8th February
    The Pyramid Code

10th February
    Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

13th February
    Immutable Law of First Love

15th February
    Black Butler
    Fate/stay Night
    Powder

18th February
    The Story of Us with Morgan Freeman

19th February
    America’s Got Talent: The Champions

20th February
    Erased

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

peteeeed wrote: »
    here's whats leaving over the next month or so

24th January
    The Good Catholic
    Happy End

25th January
    Baywatch (2017)

27th January
    Juana Ines

28th January
    Gorky Park

29th January
    Patient Seventeen

1st February
    LoliRock
    Pioneers of African-American Cinema
    Spartacus (2013)
    Wartime Portraits
    Yoko

7th February
    Geronimo Stilton

8th February
    The Pyramid Code

10th February
    Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

13th February
    Immutable Law of First Love

15th February
    Black Butler
    Fate/stay Night
    Powder

18th February
    The Story of Us with Morgan Freeman

19th February
    America’s Got Talent: The Champions

20th February
    Erased

I cannot recommend Metallica: Some Kind of Monster highly enough. There's only about 10 minutes of their music in it, but its mostly a psycho drama. Incredibly entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

tigger123 wrote: »
    I cannot recommend Metallica: Some Kind of Monster highly enough. There's only about 10 minutes of their music in it, but its mostly a psycho drama. Incredibly entertaining!

I'll echo that. I watched it on a flight once and was very surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Watched "Killer inside: the Mind of Aaron Hernandez".......Really good documentary series with almost constant twists and turns. Honestly felt sorry for the guy, all things considered.
    Has anybody seen "American factory"? Its up for an Oscar for best documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Medical Police is entertaining stupid. Like Angie Tribeca (if anyone saw that), neither quite hit the mark quite as well as Police Squad did but similar humour, and plenty of chuckles.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

santana75 wrote: »
    Watched "Killer inside: the Mind of Aaron Hernandez".......Really good documentary series with almost constant twists and turns. Honestly felt sorry for the guy, all things considered.
    Has anybody seen "American factory"? Its up for an Oscar for best documentary.

Really enjoyed American Factory.

Great insight into the Chinese as a workforce, and their opinions of Westerners.

Worth a watch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

October faction is rubbish

the goop lab with Gwyneth Paltrow season 1
    Leading with curiosity, Gwyneth Paltrow and her goop team look at psychedelics, energy work and other challenging wellness topics.

A Sun
    A family reckons with the aftermath of their younger son's incarceration and a greater misfortune that follows.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina part 3
    Magic and mischief collide as half-human, half-witch Sabrina navigates between two worlds: mortal teen life and her family's legacy, the Church of Night.

Die Ontwaking
    An inexperienced murder detective joins a desperate search for a deranged serial killer who possesses a deep obsession with young women's skin.

The Ranch part 8
    Being a pro athlete didn't pan out for Colt. Now he's helping his dad and brother keep the ranch afloat, and figuring out how he fits into the family.

Rise of Empires: Ottoman season 1
    Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II wages an epic campaign to take the Byzantine capital of Constantinople and shapes the course of history for centuries.

You Cannot Hide season 1
    A nurse and her daughter flee her husband's drug-trafficking past in Mexico and assume new identities in Spain, but still face danger in Madrid

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Really liked the ranch and looking forward to new season. I like everything Americana and has some gritty storylines. Will report back on my thoughts.

peteeeed wrote: »
    the goop lab with Gwyneth Paltrow season 1
    Leading with curiosity, Gwyneth Paltrow and her goop team look at psychedelics, energy work and other challenging wellness topics.

Good lord, how much money were Netflix given to give this total quack her own show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Medical Police is entertaining stupid. Like Angie Tribeca (if anyone saw that), neither quite hit the mark quite as well as Police Squad did but similar humour, and plenty of chuckles.

didn't work for me at all. watched 3 episodes with the kids hoping it would pick up, not a single laugh from any of us. painful!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good lord, how much money were Netflix given to give this total quack her own show?

There's a good review here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/01/goops-netflix-series-its-so-much-worse-than-i-expected-and-i-cant-unsee-it/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Goop is pants on head stupid... so the show about it might be worth a laugh or two.

American Factory was an excellent documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Invention of Lying – 3/10

Painful. Excruciatingly painful. This isn’t even a film. It’s Ricky Gervais saying “Ooh, look at all the big film stars I now know”

I honestly thought the sentimental moments were meant to be satirical but no, Gervais wrote this script and was pleased with it. The premise alone requires a degree of stupidity that I just can't lower myself to.

How can the quality of one man’s work vary so erratically?

Advertisement