Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

El Duda wrote: »
    How can the quality of one man’s work vary so erratically?

Slight simplification, but does it not vary according to whether or not Stephen Merchant is cowriting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Invention of Lying – 3/10

Painful. Excruciatingly painful. This isn’t even a film. It’s Ricky Gervais saying “Ooh, look at all the big film stars I now know”

I honestly thought the sentimental moments were meant to be satirical but no, Gervais wrote this script and was pleased with it. The premise alone requires a degree of stupidity that I just can't lower myself to.

How can the quality of one man’s work vary so erratically?

3 is generous, it's a massive miss fire by gervais

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Slight simplification, but does it not vary according to whether or not Stephen Merchant is cowriting?

Merchant didn't help him with After Life and that was great. I assume Merchant hasn't helped him with his last few stand up shows and his Golden Globes monolgues either. He can write good stuff on his own, sometimes.

Only reason it got a 3 is cos I've seen worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Season 2 of Sex Education was OK. Not near as good as season 1.

Merchant didn't help him with After Life and that was great. I assume Merchant hasn't helped him with his last few stand up shows and his Golden Globes monolgues either. He can write good stuff on his own, sometimes.

Only reason it got a 3 is cos I've seen worse.

i think ricky gervais struggles with over sentimentality in after life , derek (i still realy like them ), i wish he'd get back to writing with merchant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Didn’t rate cheer at all! Way too many episodes in what there was. I was sick of them doing the same routine in every episode! Was surprised I didn’t like it tbh

Pose is coming to Netflix soon. Can’t recommend this enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ted Bundy Tapes is excellent. Really interesting documentary of a mass murder who didn't fit the typical stereotype.

One of his trials was mad. I wont run it but you couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I've heard of Pose, I'll look forward to that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can’t wait for uncut gems next week. And then the new season of Narcos 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can’t wait for uncut gems next week. And then the new season of Narcos 2 weeks later.
    Uncut Gems is incredible to be fair.

.. although only if you enjoy 2+ hours of sheer anguish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Basq wrote: »

It has got serious reviews. Although their last film with Robert Pattison also did, and I didn’t really like it when I watched it. I just thought it was too bleak with not much story.
    But I think this one will be different. Seems Adam Sandler is phenomenal in it and should be in the list for Oscar nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It has got serious reviews. Although their last film with Robert Pattison also did, and I didn’t really like it when I watched it. I just thought it was too bleak with not much story.
    But I think this one will be different. Seems Adam Sandler is phenomenal in it and should be in the list for Oscar nomination.
    I thought Good Time was average.. but this is something else entirely!

Best thing the Safdie Bros have done so far IMO.

12 Strong
    Following 9/11, a dozen U.S. soldiers mount up on horseback in Afghanistan to help a local warlord take on a mutual enemy. Inspired by true events

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

sounds about right...4 of us went to see it in the IFI recently, 2 of us loved it and 2 of us hated it to the point of walking out. made for a good discussion over a pint after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone watched Ottoman?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Basq wrote: »

watched it last night, sheer anguish is a good description. It felt like sunday night not having your homework done and glenroe music coming on in the background.
    Not my type of film but great acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

fin12 wrote: »
    It caught my eye, as it's an interesting period of history; Ottoman vs Byzantine empire, and the centuries old attempt to capture Constantinople. Will have a look- it has some great reviews so far on IMDb and RT.
    Ottoman Rising (on IMDb), but Rise of Empires: Ottoman (original title) in RT (and on Netflix).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It caught my eye, as it's an interesting period of history; Ottoman vs Byzantine empire, and the centuries old attempt to capture Constantinople. Will have a look- it has some great reviews so far on IMDb and RT.
    Ottoman Rising (on IMDb), but Rise of Empires: Ottoman (original title) in RT (and on Netflix).
    There's a book on the siege I highly recommend, called 1453: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/227354.1453
    I really like Crowley as an author of popular history. I get the impression the rigorous academic research is underneath, but he writes it up with a good narrative that makes for easy reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Finished Lost In Space season 2... it really is a show that swings back and forth with the Sentient Alien Robots, and how people engage/interact with them. Going from full throttle hostility to laying down your life for them, in the space of an episode.

Have the impression that the writers had no idea what they were doing and just winging the entire season.

Still, the Sentient Alien Robots do look very impressive when in their non-humanoid form.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Edge of Democracy

Very good feature length documentary detailing the downfall of Brazilian president Lula da silva, his successor Dilma Rousseff and the rise to power of Bolsonaro .

It shows the gradual move away from democracy and towards more authoritarian rule. Recommended.

Review below:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/21/the-edge-of-democracy-review-petra-costa-brazil-documentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Dolemite Is My Name – 7.75/10

Any time an actor as supremely talented as Eddie Murphy gets back in the game, it is to be celebrated. Not only is he back on top form but he seems reinvigorated and motivated. He’s joined by a fantastic, predominantly black, ensemble cast and there’s not one weak link amongst them. The standout is a scene-stealing Wesley Snipes who goes places you’d never expect.

The story explores the origin of Rudy Ray Moore and how he turned Dolemite into a Blaxploitation icon. It’s told using the tried and tested, underdog biopic format and it works perfectly. It’s a great vehicle for Murphy to do his thing and there are lots of great comedic and musical moments.

The Disaster Artist recently tried to tell an underdog story in similar fashion, but this is much better; It’s much more accessible for those not familiar with the story and it’s a lot funnier. Murphy deserves more attention for this, and I’m baffled as to how it didn’t get an Oscar nomination for best costume design. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Yeah watched it over the weekend. Its about the conquest of Constaniople/Istanbul by the Ottomans. Thought it was going to be a drama type thing buts its a mix of drama and historical fact. Theres a break in it at times for historians/authors etc to give an "expert" opinion or overview on whats just happened. If your into history its good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Season 2 of Sex Education was OK. Not near as good as season 1.

Thought it was better myself, everything did sort of go how you'd expect but better than going the other way for the sake of it

Wish it was more than 8 episodes since this has a shelf life being about students near the end of secondary school, it'll probably get 5/6 seasons anyway and follow the main ones through the first years of college

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

I'll give a shout out for 'episodes' which I've just stumbled across and I haven't seen it get mentioned much on here. It's a comedy series about 2 married British screenwriters whose sitcom gets picked up by an american network. They move out to LA for filming and things start to go south when the network forces Matt le Blanc into the lead role. Have to say he is excellent in it and very self deprecating! Only 5 episodes in but really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Thought I'd give Goop Lab a shot as it must be worth a laugh.

Anyone interested, save yourself 30 odd minutes, and just watch the first 17 seconds of the music video for Sexx Laws by Beck.

https://youtu.be/IQfwgzoiq4c

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

Watching it now. It's interesting; I think they must have picked up the wardrobe from Game of Thrones second-hand. Even the Sultan is the spitting image of Rob Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm trying to work through the Oscar best picture nominees before the awards.
    I watched the first hour and a bit of marriage story last night and I'll watch the rest tonight. It is fantastically acted by Driver and Johansson but I'm finding myself not caring. It feels like a story that's been done a 100 times before. It critically is a very good film but I'm not really enjoying it.

Hopefully when I finish it tonight I'll feel a bit more satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

rekluse wrote: »
    I'll give a shout out for 'episodes' which I've just stumbled across and I haven't seen it get mentioned much on here. It's a comedy series about 2 married British screenwriters whose sitcom gets picked up by an american network. They move out to LA for filming and things start to go south when the network forces Matt le Blanc into the lead role. Have to say he is excellent in it and very self deprecating! Only 5 episodes in but really enjoying it.

Episodes is a great laugh. Matt Le Blanc really takes the mick out of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

tigger123 wrote: »
    Episodes is a great laugh. Matt Le Blanc really takes the mick out of himself.
    Watched the first 3 episodes (boom) years ago, but never got back to it- been meaning to for ages. Watched the first one again thanks to your post- it's funnier than I even remember it being. Normally watch hour programmes, but it's good to have light half-hour ones as well. This fits the bill perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

mikhail wrote: »
    There's a book on the siege I highly recommend, called 1453: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/227354.1453
    I really like Crowley as an author of popular history. I get the impression the rigorous academic research is underneath, but he writes it up with a good narrative that makes for easy reading.
    Oh, and there he is, a talking head 14 minutes into episode 1!

Advertisement