Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught Nobody recently and found it a frustrating watch. I posted about my reasons in the "What have you watched recently" thread so I won't repeat myself here. But it got me thinking about good recent action films, and I remembered Lost Bullet - a French crime/car chase affair from a few years back that Netflix picked up.

It may be partly lack of expectations but I remember enjoying it, so I am tempted to stick it on again and see how it holds up to a second watch. Anyone else got any thoughts on it, or opinions on the sequel (which I haven't yet seen)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't care a jot about his fighting prowess because fundamentally find all professional fighting distasteful, but that's a further segue; equally this idea you have to be a performative díckhead to succeed. Smells too much like the Auteur Theory nonsense. And as another pointed out, McGregor's behaviour outside the ring has not been of a "decent" fellow.

Don't insult in trying to spin this as some measure of "social views", or make reductive snark about Elmo being "angry" ... but this is a simple metric of common decency. I know nothing of his "social views", but McGregor has behaved like a piece of shít outside the ring that perhaps he is, a piece of shít no matter how much money he throws at people (though that's better than punches I guess)

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is he also not famously a bit errr "handsy" to put it mildly as well.

Grim, complete scumbag imo.

Off topic now so will stop.

But needless to say I won't be watching any doc about him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

McGregor is a publicly violent, cruel person who has, amongst many other things, been found guilty of assaulting members of the public and has numerous other assault (and worse) allegations going through the court systems. I don't care how successful he's been in MMA, how charitable he has been or how much shite whiskey he has sold to Americans - the idea that makes him somehow immune to criticism for thuggish behaviour on and off-camera is preposterous to me. They can make all the documentaries they want about him - people still have every right to think he's a horrible human being and even worse role model based on his own, extremely well-documented behaviour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not sure judging a person's worth by how much the American public like him is quite the high bar you're implying there.

I had a lot of respect for McGregor when he was fighting, but since then his behaviour has been pretty low life thug kind of stuff. And I'm not talking about the bravado and nonsense that comes hand in hand with things like UFC or boxing. And for what it's worth, I come from the same social background as him, I'm not punching down, or being a snob because he's got a heavy inner city Dublin accent. He's just a d**k head.

• Advertisement

The performative stuff, the proof is in the pudding financially being the highest paid sportsman. In the fight world it is a well heeled routine, even in the fake fighting of WWE since the 1980's. It's not a matter of opinion, it's been demonstrated by numerous fighters. People also pay a lot of money to see people they don't like lose.

I was not trying insult anyone, and it wasn't a reductive snark at all. Elmo is a great poster, usually very measured. And while I think his remark was very extreme indeed I have no issue with him saying it. Most of the forum agrees with him if not everyone judged by the 21 likes to the comment!

But you talk about common decency - you have as much bile and nastiness in you as any other human and you just direct it at people who disagree with your social views. You preach tolerance but are intolerant to anyone who disagrees with you, or has made a mistake and will freely insult. It's deeply hypocritical. People make mistakes, you mentioned your own recently. Lucky you weren't damned for eternity for your previous self.

I'm a her, by the way..... 👀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hmm I'll look up Lost Bullet thank you.

I'm currently enjoying the Diplomat which I was iffy about starting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Right-o, let's end the Conor McGregor tangent here. Everyone has had a chance to have their say, and there are other, better places for the wider conversation. And, as ever, personal attacks against other posters won't be tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lost bullet is excellent, and the sequel is even better, straightforward old school action thrillers. Hopefully they wont be too long turning around the third installment.

The main actor is currently in a film that seems to be fairly high on the most watched list - AKA, its not as good as lost bullet and could probably have done with being a little shorter, but if you fancy seeing Eric Cantona as a mob boss, there are certainly worse ways to spend an evening.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭jj880

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm still extremely salty about The OA being cancelled, while Stranger Things at this point will probably get an entire season telling the story of how Will got that dreadful haircut in S4....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm liking the Diplomat at the moment around 3 episodes in. The lead actor reminds me a little of Carrie Matheson of Homeland, just the way they're both driven in their work with a touch of crazyness albeit a different type of crazy

They seem to be spinning it off as much as possible...stage show...animated tv programme...probably more

I remain grumpy the Dark Crystal prequel show got cancelled; absolutely fantastic show that was leagues ahead of the original movie, ended on a cliffhanger and me wanting more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Same. A genuinely excellent show. I firmly believe Hup's story is one of the best ever heroes journey committed to screen.

Post edited by ixoy on

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Anyone given the black knight a go, any good? Won't be able to watch until later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,332 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it worth giving this a shot lol, a real own goal here for netflix, they even managed to p1ss off Egypt.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's 8th on the worldwide chart for the week, having only been released on Wednesday, and seems to be in the top 10 in every single country at the moment. Number 3 in Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

enjoyed this and and it netflix's was the number one show when it came out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) A clever fox who's been stealing food on the sly must craft a courageous plan to outwit three angry farmers -- and protect his friends and family..

Big Momma's House (2000)

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (2011)

Added

still its got to hurt when you have the rare occurrence of audience and critics uniting to trash such a production

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Anna Nicole Smith: You Don't Know Me (2023) From the heights of her modeling fame to her tragic death, this documentary reveals Anna Nicole Smith through the eyes of the people closest to her..

Jaws (1975) When an insatiable great white shark terrorizes Amity Island, a police chief, an oceanographer and a grizzled shark hunter seek to destroy the beast ( one of the best movies of all time , a different type of shark tail)

Shark Tale (2004) A tiny white lie turns a little fish into an unlikely hero. But when the truth comes out, he teams up with an outcast great white shark for protection

Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie (2014) Elite penguin spies Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private join forces with the suave agents of the North Wind to defeat power-mad genius Octavius Brine.

The Great Wall (2016) Searching for gunpowder in Song dynasty China, European mercenaries discover an epic war being waged between the country's heroes and savage monsters

Darkest Hour (2017) As the threat of Nazi invasion looms, newly appointed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill rallies a nation to fight for its very survival.

Split (2016) A man with multiple identities abducts three teenage girls, who must find a way to escape before his newest, most dangerous personality takes over.

Sebastian Maniscalco: Aren't You Embarrassed? (2014) Returning to his hometown of Chicago, the comedian views modern life through his family's old-world Italian lens and wonders where our shame went

Added

When audience scores are that low that fast, it's usually got nothing to do with the quality of a show/film.

The crowd know when to dunk on stuff, its always something that is garbage and if it was great people would pile in the other way, confirmed in this case by the critics not circling the wagons around it

• Advertisement

1% audience ratings across all the review sites 2 days after something is released is review bombing. It's deliberate and it's motivated by things other than quality. This one might genuinely be rubbish, I don't know, but using scores like that to make any kind of point about how bad something is, is a pointless exercise.

Advertisement