Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep really enjoyed it thanks to seeing it mentioned on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They're probably talking about the BBC series with Baptiste.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I thought it was a film. Advertised as on Netflix, suppose to be very good, must look up again where I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal at all of the fast and the furious films? I watched the first one when it came out I think...how has it become such a huge behemoth? I am guessing people just like switching the brain off for a few hours in the cinema. Vin Diesel is a charisma vacuum.

Is that on uk/Ireland one?

I think it was only released pretty recently here on sky cinema

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've watched number 7, dragged to the cinema by friends who thought it'd be funny watching my squirm. They mistook my disinterest for active hatred, and number 7 didn't change my mind either. The films all look interchangeable and as dumb as rocks: not for me and wish anyone well who enjoys them - but nope. I don't necessarily see the appeal, like I'm the only one in the room who doesn't get the joke. They don't even look like they're best in class when it comes to visceral action. Tom Cruise in the MI films steals everyone's lunch.

That said, I know enough to know the film has evolved greatly from the format it took in that very first film; going from what looked like Point Break with cars, to ... ... however best describes the insanity of those later movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭jj880

Same here. I'll save everyone some time. Heres the only scene from all 10 movies worth watching 😅:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can't believe there's 10 of those fuckin things and Alex Garland can't get the shillings together to do a sequel to 'Dredd'.

There's no justice.

Yes that is the one - it is on Netflix so I was confused as to how it is missing.

I think it is also on Disney+ - the sequel series is anyway

or was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If he keeps making films like Men, Alex Garland mightn't get any shillings to make any movies, let alone Dredd.

Dredd's release timing was always its undoing, inviting comparisons with The Raid; not to mention tying itself to the 3D fad when it was (IIRC) already on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Inside man is a weird thing, on one hand you've david tennant in a very tense scenario, and on the other side you've stanley tucci in a sort of death row comedy detective. Its ok, but the tone shift of it all was a bit off putting to me, it was like it couldnt decide if it was trying to be serious like broadchurch, or lighthearted like that johnny lee miller sherlock holmes show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fast and Furious is one of the crappier modern Hollywood franchises overall, with some truly dire entries. I will say Fast Five is good fun - a sweet spot heist movie where it’s silly fun without being caught up in the gravity-defying arms race and self-parody-level ‘family’ schtick that dragged down the subsequent entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Worth watching as a stand alone movie? I’ve never seen any of the others as they aren’t my thing but I like a good decent heist movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely watchable stand-alone. It’s not exactly Thief, just to set expectations accordingly…. but it is decent, silly fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson season 3 (2021) There is no such thing as an ordinary interaction in this offbeat sketch comedy series that features a deep roster of guest stars.

Siren: Survive the Island season 1 (2023) (Korean) 24 female police officers, firefighters, bodyguards, soldiers, athletes and stuntwomen team up by profession to compete for survival on a remote island..

Voice season 1 (2019) (Thai) In this remake of the Korean thriller, an esteemed detective and a talented cop join forces to nail the killer who took the lives of their loved ones

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looks like it was only recently added to Netflix US even though places like JustWatch are saying it was added in UK/Ireland.

Assume you are talking about the 2023 Searching-like film and not the other suggestions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If anyone likes that concept of movie (where everything is essentially told through some social media platform like Missing or Searching), there is another one called Profile - which is quite interesting. It's to do with ISIS recruitment.

There's one that I haven't seen it - Unfriended, which is more of a supernatural movie. Presume there will be lots of tables and chairs moving in the background and lights flickering etc.

• Advertisement

Unfriended was decent and there is a sequel too (I think it's called unfriended dark web)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Blood and Gold very good.

The usual line with seasoned German soldiers not able to shoot straight but the fact it is other German's taking them down is a change.

Blackfish (2013) This fascinating documentary examines the life of performing killer whale Tilikum, who has caused the deaths of several people while in captivity.

Up in the Air (2009) A charming consultant who flies around the country to fire employees must train a new hire whose business proposal could permanently ground him..

The Family (2013) A notorious New York crime family has trouble acclimating to life in a French village after they're relocated under the witness protection program

Collide (2016) Desperate for cash to save his girlfriend's life, a former car thief turns to his old boss and takes on one last heist that soon swerves out of control.

Pain & Gain (2013) A crew of ripped Miami bodybuilders scores a high-rolling lifestyle through kidnapping and extortion in this crime comedy based on a true story

One Born Every Minute (2011) 2 Seasons By filling a bustling maternity hospital with 40 cameras, this groundbreaking docuseries celebrates what it really feels like to become a parent.

Tracks (2013) In 1977, young adventurer Robyn Davidson takes an arduous walk over 1,600 miles across the Australian desert with four camels and a dog for company

THE DAYS season 1 (2023) (Japanese) Blamed by some, hailed as heroes by others, those involved with Fukushima Daiichi face a deadly, invisible threat -- an unprecedented nuclear disaster.

Thank You for Your Service (2017) After returning home from the war in Iraq, a group of soldiers struggles to readjust as memories of combat take a toll on their lives and loved ones.

Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany (2020) 2 Episodes Through unseen footage filmed by German civilians and soldiers, this documentary reveals what life was like under Hitler's regime before and during WWII

Killing Eve season 2 (2019) Intrigue blossoms into obsession when a British spy pursues a playful, stylish and utterly ruthless assassin working for a mysterious organization..

ALVINNN!!! And the Chipmunks season 4 (2019) Raised by their human dad, a scrappy young musical chipmunk and his brothers get into mischief and learn plenty of valuable lessons along the way..

S.W.A.T.: Under Siege (2017) When a S.W.A.T. team takes in a mysterious, high-profile prisoner, international threats unleash a barrage of attacks on their compound to retrieve him....

Show Dogs (2018) A rough and tough police dog must go undercover with an FBI agent as a prim and proper pet at a dog show to save a baby panda from an illegal sale..

Chalet Girl (2011) Ex-skateboarder Kim Matthews is transplanted to the world of alpine sports, an environment she finds foreign ... until she tries snowboarding.

A.X.L. (2018) Young motocross racer Miles Hill helps a top-secret robotic combat dog evade its ruthless creator and the military, who are in hot pursuit.

A Beautiful Life (2023) (Danish) When a young fisherman with a hidden talent gets discovered by a music producer, he must decide if he's ready to open himself up to stardom -- and love..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is completely nuts. Very tarantino-esque i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

RE Blood & Gold, that would be a good description, but I thought it was a new style of soon to be named "Spaghetti WW2" movie. Had all the vibes of a Spaghetti Western to me. The hanging started it off, the hero doesn't say that much and so many characters wouldn't be out of place in a Spaghetti Western. Must watch again to see if I can find more ways to hang that moniker on it?

Maybe I don't need a rewatch yet just did a google and found this

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Macaroni War", the cousin of "Spaghetti Western" was coined years ago.

It actually sounds a little more interesting and enjoyable than Sisu; I keep meaning to check the latter out but it just sounds a bit superficial, compared with Blood Gold that appears a bit more ... I dunno, robust?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

To stick another style/type label to a movie Sisu shouted Grindhouse house to me. Once I'd worked that out the movie became more enjoyable.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, I'll be catching Sisu at the weekend, I may stick on Blood & Gold next week.

I stuck on The Man From Toronto yesterday, with Woody Harrelson & Kevin Hart. It's decent enough entertainment, mining a similar seam to Central Intelligence (although that film is unambiguously the better of the two). It drags a bit at times, with several scenes feeling like Hart was ad-libbing, but towards the end things make an improvement when, as with Nobody, the climactic fight scene steps up the fight choreography and direction a good bit and is a lot more fun.

We're very much talking 3/5 territory here, not least because there's a strain of black comedy here that Harrelson can do well but it clashes a bit with Hart's brand of hyperactive-anxious-dork comedy. According to Wikipedia Jason Statham was originally going to star, and I can see him being a much better fit for what the film is trying to do - but even so, the bigger issue is that I think the script would have benefited from one or two more iterations of refinement, not to mention being 20 or 30 minutes shorter.

I feel like it's a bad sign that these days, finding a passable-to-decent film is about as much as I date expect on Netflix. I haven't cancelled yet but I expect it won't be long...

Edit: if you aren't sure you can be bothered with TMFT, you should search youtube for the gym fight, it's the best part of the film.

Post edited by Fysh on

Advertisement