Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Unlike the other services Netflix haven't removed any of their shows, apart from the Marvel ones. Or did they remove others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem is, Snowpiercer is another victim of the whole tax write off idea of canning a filmed entity then vaulting it for the taxback. So I don't think we'll ever see it, given its now officially a write off. Which is just a crying shame, if not a disgrace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah fcuk I'd enjoyed Snowpiercer immensely even the flaws were endearing tbh.

Speaking of things we've ignored, just started Hannibal, it's a bit on the nose at times but three episodes in I'm enjoying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks. I've had it on my list for ages but hadn't got around to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

No, I don't think they've taken off anything that they actually made themselves.

I never watched it but I was just reading about a show Paramount had on their service, Grease - Rise of the Pink Ladies, and they cancelled it just before the last episode of S1 was released, and then announced they would be removing it from their service like a week later. But they won't sell it to anyone else, even just for streaming the one season that exists. So nobody can ever watch it now. It's such a weird time for the whole industry right now.

I wonder if the writers strike will end up with the studios agreeing to some kind of deal for streaming revenues, but then just take this path of removing things entirely from existence so they never have to actually pay anyone residuals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if the writers strike will end up with the studios agreeing to some kind of deal for streaming revenues, but then just take this path of removing things entirely from existence so they never have to actually pay anyone residuals?

You'd have to speculate the unions will make sure heavy caveats and payouts will be due if a show is conventionally dropped into the digital Memory Hole; otherwise as you say, we'll just seen an increase in streamers deleting their shows and films.

God damn this thread though for reminding me we'll never get Snowpiercer season 4; a season that exists, somewher, fully filmed and ready.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I would hope the unions would be making sure this doesn't happen. If not the writers then maybe the directors or artists who are also expected to go on strike. Like the ones involved with the likes of Pink Ladies and Willow have voiced their anger and disappointment. Not to mention what happened with Batgirl.

Anyway, with regard recommendations, finished Kipo last night. Nice, fun, enjoyable, mostly feel good series.

Have you watched the SheRa series from a few years ago? It's a bit similar to Kipo in that it's fun, has a good overall story arc, deals with some darker themes, but in a light-ish kind of way. No singing though. I think it's what actually led me onto Kipo.

Centaurworld is another weird one. It gets very dark at times, but has some really great songs in it. It's pretty short too.

Yeah, I watched and liked She-Ra as it aired. Any Netflix animated shows I've watched I've enjoyed like Troll hunters, both He-Man series and the video game adaptations. Then the movies like the excellent Mitchells vs the Machines.

My Father's Dragon is very good too. As is The Sea Beast.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Didn't know that, haven't made it to the end yet... Too bad that's how things are, this is why we can't have nice things...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've watched 4 out of the 5 Black Mirror episodes and to be honest I think it's 4 for 4 as it stands.

Sure, people will enjoy them to different degrees and for different reasons, and the opposite too. Personally I do think they vary in quality, but they all lean to various sides of the 'good' end of the scale.

Thought 1 was great, 2 was great, 3 was fairly good, 4 less so but undeniably very entertaining and nothing close to actually being 'bad'. Overall, even if I end up despising the last episode, it's been a good season with good variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thanks Peteed for your contributions, perhaps we will see you on the Aphex Twin thread, got my Field Day ticket woo hoo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

FYI all, I believe this is our today for anyone curious or liking the trailer(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed Arnold, the Schwarzenegger documentary.

His lifestory is extraordinary with incredible success at each stage but then he destroyed his family life by having an affair with the housekeeper. He is very much in control of the narrative so the documentary is wholly uncritical but it is entertaining and he is trying to make sense of his life on his own terms.

He doesn't say so but I'm sure he believes he could be President of the USA if the Constitution didn't limit the job to "natural born citizens". He is obviously a better choice than Trump and in far better shape than Biden, mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Nimona is a really good animated film, a great mix of animation styles and the story itself is a blend of medieval and sci-fi, the world actually reminded me of Hilda a bit but more sci-fi.

Just finished Nimona as well and really enjoyed it. Was a fun 90 or so minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Season 3 of The Detectorists is now available. Managed to catch it on the tellybox recently. Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

Profile is good on Netflix today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Anyone into music or 80's, the Wham film is pure nostalgia.

What shone through for me was the genuine friendship and respect between George and Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Was looking for something to watch with the Mammy last night. Stumbled on Just Go With It - Jennifer Aniston & Adam Sandler. A typical rom com but a good way to spend 110 odd minutes. Jennifer Aniston excellent as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

It is very good. Just finished watching it with a 10 year old that loved it too. Nice dark, heavy theme at the end, as well as quirky humour throughout that kept kid giggling (Shark dance!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

The American Gladiators 5 parter was a very enjoyable piece of fluff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes enjoyable for sure. If you enjoyed it you should look up the 2 part ESPN 30 For 30 documentary called "The American Gladiators". A grittier look at the origins of the show, stolen ideas and the dirty dealings behind the scenes. Gripping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

thanks will look this up! Also another vote for American Gladiators, very interesting flashback to different times, pre-social media, celebrity and early 90s as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Really enjoyed "kleo" about the east German spy enter the west. Serious but with some great bits of comedy thrown in.

Adding my voice to those who recommended Nimona.

Really great animation, good story, funny, and I think gets its central themes and ideas across really well without beating you over the head with them.

I'm not one to praise Netflix for anything these days but they did well here saving this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I liked Nimona, especially when it settled down from its slightly chaotic opening act. But I have to say the animation style left me really cold. A couple of expressive moments aside, the character design and textures felt really flat to me, almost like a generation-old cel-shaded video game. It lacks detail and failed to pop for me.

I get that it was a troubled project (I’m glad it was rescued!) and almost certainly budget constrained. But even with those caveats, it’s a film that IMO delivered in many areas but didn’t quite pull off what it was trying to do in the animation style.

Advertisement