Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched this years ago; thought it was really good. Nuts and bolts stuff, but very believable, and gripping towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone watched The Chosen One yet?

I have watched episode 1 pretty interesting, looks really well, kids are decent, l went into it totally blind maybe that is best.

Blurb (possible spoilers if you don't want to know anything about it)

Jodie, a 12-year-old boy living in Baja California Sur, discovers he has Jesus-like powers; he must decide whether to answer his calling and fulfill his destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Watched 2 out of 3 episode of documentary about Boston Marathon bombings, very sad but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Top Boy - Series 2 (2022) is up on Netflix. Around 8 episodes...... recommended.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This'll be the adaptation of American Jesus by Mark Millar. I wasn't massively impressed by the story in the original comic, because it was a fairly plain idea:

What if the second coming of Jesus was actually the first coming of an Antichrist?

The official premise is carefully worded to neither give away, nor explicitly preclude, that interpretation. But it's not a particularly interesting story idea, so I suspect a lot will depend on how good the cast and writers are, and how much latitude they have to add their own voice to the material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Not really that odd. It's Bradley Cooper's second directorial movie since A Star is Born, it's timed for Oscar season as is the likes of Killers of the Flower Moon. Topic and stars involved has always had award season speculation imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Available tomorrow. Enjoyable.

I recommend watchin first 45 seconds to get the idea. Its 1 of those trailers that gives the whole feckin movie away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like Gerard Butler movies. I saw this and it's not great. All set in a jail as far as I recollect. But doesn't have enough going for it to make it interesting as one of those set-in-the-one-location type films.

Id say its a comedy action movie. Not much more. Where I think it offers something is some good laughs and performances from Butler, Alexis Louder and Toby Huss as the psychotic assassin. As for Grillo Ive no idea how hes even an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Remember seeing it at the time and it's good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Copshop was a fun movie that did its level best to surmount the obviously limited budget - but nor was it the bristling Assault on Precinct 13 style thriller I was hoping it would be. It needed a few more shekels for some better action scenes and set-pieces IMO.

It opened with some of the worst "day for night" footage I've ever seen, and it ended with with what I considered a cardinal sin for an action film of this type...

There were a few shots of outside the police station, where there was this big, tempting gas tank. It just screamed "I'm gonna be blown up in the last act". A real Checkov's Gastank ... and it was never touched in the big finale stand-off. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is a 2021 film yet I'm certain I seen this before covid. Good film though, in a turn your brain off kinda way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

No I understand the idea behind timing a release for Oscar season but the media going on that any film is ”award worthy” before seeing it is silly.

It could be terrible or dull, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The account sharing block kicked in for me last night (I got a message on my Shield to set my primary household).

This morning I had to send apologetic Whatsapp messages to 3 family members who are (/were) sharing my account. Boo. 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

We got it before and ignored it and it went away. Maybe try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Another 'untold' episode is out , based on florida gators football team led by Tim Tebow. This one is actually a four partner which is great. Only 1 episode in but it's shaping up nicely.

Im on same sub. You keeping it?

Not sure what Im gona do yet. Would like to cancel the whole lot. The greed of Netflix on this just annoys me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The whole "awards worthy" thing is more about a given film's ... tone or subject matter, not its actual quality as a piece of cinema: stories about prejudice, mental-health problems, biopics, films about Hollywood itself - or a mixed-bag of all those - tend to be see as "Oscar Bait", to put it more simply. Watching that trailer for Maestro suggests exactly that kind of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

just don't forget the advice given in Tropic Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It'll keep coming back unfortunately, I just pay the extra €5 a month to get my own 4K profile now

• Advertisement

God almighty on episode 8 of Lincoln Lawyer and it is an absolute pile of trash.

Honestly I'm shocked at how bad it is.

They should have left it at one season.

I suspected as much after the first few eps. Thanks for confirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

That's disappointing, I really loved the first season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G!’s been watching Girlboss. https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80115671?s=i&trkid=258593161&vlang=en&clip=80182911

Watched a few episodes. Lead character comes across really well as totally unlikeable but confident at the same time.

There’s one episode where they play out an on-line discussion forum. It’s very well done and will make everyone here smile/cringe at the same time. 😝🙄

Oh I know, I absolutely adored everything about the first season, don't know how they got it so wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I loved Girlboss and was disappointed they didn't make any more, although I think it ended with an OK ending so it's not like we were left on a cliffhanger. There's an episode where they're watching the episode of The OC where Marissa dies that had me in stitches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Little Things

It started very strongly as a lone woman driver in the Northern California desert is chased down by a serial killer. Lots of tension

This film was a bit of a mess and I was disappointed. Denzil Washington is a former hot shot detective who had a breakdown and just happens to be in the big city as the lead detective is hunting down this killer so he tags along. The dialogue was difficult to understand and the whole story was unsatisfying

Jared Leto won some awards for his role.

Meh, 3/10

In fairness to Lincoln Lawyer it finished well, the last two episodes were very good, but jaysus it was a long road to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How To Blow Up A Pipeline seems to have kind of snuck onto Netflix without me noticing. Excellent movie though, tense, and thoughtfully put together.

• Advertisement

An absolute blast. Yes I said it. The polemical part felt a bit glib but the decision to build the tension and momentum so steadily around the actual building of the bomb, framed more as a procedural than some conventional Ocean's style thriller, was a fantastic choice. Made it feel like how things would go down if you or I said F it and became a terrorist. And the various twists, as would befit any "crime caper" film were top tier.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Advertisement