Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

quazzy wrote: »
    Is it called some kind of monster?

Or is there another one?

Yeah it's that one quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

1st February
    Castle in the Sky (1986)
    My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
    Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
    Only Yesterday (1991)
    Porco Rosso (1992)
    Ocean Waves (1993)
    Tales from Earthsea (2006)
    Clueless
    Rango
    The Substitute 2
    My Life
    Hush (1998)
    For Keeps
    Love Jacked
    My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
    Creeped Out: Season 1
    The Promise
    In This Corner of the World
    Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
    High School D x D: Season 1
    No Game No Life: Season 1
    Deadman Wonderland: Season 1
    Tempted: Season 1
    Extraordinary You: Season 1
    Noragam: Season 1
    Crash Landing on You: Season 1, Episode 11
    50/50
    Come and Hug Me; Season 1
    Miraculous: Tales of Ladybuy & Cat Noir
    Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
    Misfit 2
    My Secret, Terrius: Season 1
    No Strings Attached
    The House Bunny

added

Netflix is extending its partnership with Adam Sandler for another four films

• Registered Users Posts: 32,607 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    1st February
    Castle in the Sky (1986)
    My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
    Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
    Only Yesterday (1991)
    Porco Rosso (1992)
    Ocean Waves (1993)
    Tales from Earthsea (2006)
    Clueless
    Rango
    The Substitute 2
    My Life
    Hush (1998)
    For Keeps
    Love Jacked
    My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
    Creeped Out: Season 1
    The Promise
    In This Corner of the World
    Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
    High School D x D: Season 1
    No Game No Life: Season 1
    Deadman Wonderland: Season 1
    Tempted: Season 1
    Extraordinary You: Season 1
    Noragam: Season 1
    Crash Landing on You: Season 1, Episode 11
    50/50
    Come and Hug Me; Season 1
    Miraculous: Tales of Ladybuy & Cat Noir
    Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
    Misfit 2
    My Secret, Terrius: Season 1
    No Strings Attached
    The House Bunny

added
    The house bunny lol
    The eyes are the nipples of the face

Can't wait to watch some more Ghibli films!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Uncut gems. Just brilliant. Sandler is exceptional in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

February 1st is Anime Day!
    time to get adding some of those Ghibli movies to my list

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d encourage anime fans to check out Night Is Short, Walk on Girl as well. It’s absolutely mad and a mess and exhausting. However, in a world where anime has become quite stylistically formulaic, Masaaki Yuasa’s films are explosions of colour and imagination. This one’s no different, and is an absolute trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just watch uncut gems. Very intense from start to finish, it’s a million miles an hour and far better than Good Time. Great film and a superb central performance by Adam Sandler, he is unlucky not to get picked for an Oscar nomination he probably should be in there instead of the fella in the Pope film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ahhm...
    He got found guilty of murder. Hanged himself in prison after a not guilty verdict for separate murders

So.....
    okay yeah I already knew that so i didnt pass too much heed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Just watch uncut gems. Very intense from start to finish, it’s a million miles an hour and far better than Good Time. Great film and a superb central performance by Adam Sandler, he is unlucky not to get picked for an Oscar nomination he probably should be in there instead of the fella in the Pope film.

I watched it this morning ,it really was a million miles an hour but almost too manic to keep me interested . The girlfriend was very watchable though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

So.....
    okay yeah I already knew that so i didnt pass too much heed on it
    It probably felt a bit tedious for you then- I can see why.
    it kinda fell between two stools; concentrating too much on the biopic angle for those interested in the true crime angle, and vice versa for the biopicophiles. A condensed version might have helped both camps. Given how amazing he looked on the pitch, it might have been more interesting to have been biopic heavy in a first episode, including his personality and propensities, and how they lead to his charges, and a second about the trial, giving more revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Horse Girl, starring Alison Brie, is out on Hetflix next Friday. Alison is excellent in GLOW, so I'm looking forward to this:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was expecting more of Uncut Gems, tbh. It just seemed full of caricatures and I couldn't empathise with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The stranger is well worth a watch.

I enjoyed second series of sex education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Just finished uncut gems, just about mind you because just watching it gave me a headache, deffinatly a one watch movie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

There was a link on Facebook this evening about the top films on Irish Netflix to watch. While scrolling down through it, there plain as day was ‘the van’ and ‘the commitments’ two films I haven’t seen in years and adore.

Straight to Netflix and search for Van. Nothing. The Van. Nothing.Colm Meaney. Layer Cake. Tried the Commitments. Same.

Not since I was told as a boy that WWF was fake, or similarly fake as the recently reported story of a red haired, bearded dwarf had tricked 27 women into sleeping with him believing him to be a leprechaun and would be rewarded with a pot of gold have I felt such a sense of betrayal and crushing of innocence. Was genuinely disgusted.

Thought it might have been an old link but the Irishman was listed. Like how could someone get it so wrong.

Ladybird added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

joeguevara wrote: »
    There was a link on Facebook this evening about the top films on Irish Netflix to watch. While scrolling down through it, there plain as day was ‘the van’ and ‘the commitments’ two films I haven’t seen in years and adore.

Straight to Netflix and search for Van. Nothing. The Van. Nothing.Colm Meaney. Layer Cake. Tried the Commitments. Same.

Not since I was told as a boy that WWF was fake, or similarly fake as the recently reported story of a red haired, bearded dwarf had tricked 27 women into sleeping with him believing him to be a leprechaun and would be rewarded with a pot of gold have I felt such a sense of betrayal and crushing of innocence. Was genuinely disgusted.

Thought it might have been an old link but the Irishman was listed. Like how could someone get it so wrong.

They're there for me!?
    just kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

joeguevara wrote: »

Facebook? Really?

FAKENEWS

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Facebook? Really?

FAKENEWS

Every other film listed was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

greysolive wrote: »
    Been watching The Stranger on Netflix this morning. Definitely interesting so far

Just watched the first episode....very intriguing so far

Watched uncut gems. Wasn’t for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched Hinterland again. It was originally filmed 3 times. All Welsh, Welsh/English and the version Netflix have, all English.

I actually think the bilingual version was better than the all English version. It's not a bad scandi noir type thing, very little levity in it though and think it would have benefited from that. They wrap up the threads quite well in the final series, can't say it's fantastic, but watchable enough and I'd definitely recommend seeking out the Welsh/English version if it ever shows up.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Hinterland again. It was originally filmed 3 times. All Welsh, Welsh/English and the version Netflix have, all English.

I actually think the bilingual version was better than the all English version. It's not a bad scandi noir type thing, very little levity in it though and think it would have benefited from that. They wrap up the threads quite well in the final series, can't say it's fantastic, but watchable enough and I'd definitely recommend seeking out the Welsh/English version if it ever shows up.

The whole series inn't on Netflix, is it? I watched some of it on TG4, funnily enough, but I think there was another series that never aired.

The whole series inn't on Netflix, is it? I watched some of it on TG4, funnily enough, but I think there was another series that never aired.

It has all the episodes, (condensing the two parters into one) finishes quite well imo.

It has all the episodes, (condensing the two parters into one) finishes quite well imo.

I think I read they were doing a 4th series but it doesn't seem to have happened, so I think that's where I've confused myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Rfrip wrote: »
    Watched uncut gems. Wasn’t for me

We gave it 35 minutes on Fri evening before going to bed. I'm guessing the rest of the movie (which I think was an hour and a half) is similar so probably won't bother going back to it

I think I read they were doing a 4th series but it doesn't seem to have happened, so I think that's where I've confused myself.

It does feel like it wrapped up at the end, I'd happily watch another series though, I think Mali Harries is excellent and isn't on as much as she deserve to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Synode wrote: »
    We gave it 35 minutes on Fri evening before going to bed. I'm guessing the rest of the movie (which I think was an hour and a half) is similar so probably won't bother going back to it

It’s been getting amazing reviews...i felt it was just Adam sandler shouting for the entire thing.

It does feel like it wrapped up at the end, I'd happily watch another series though, I think Mali Harries is excellent and isn't on as much as she deserve to be.

I think I missed some episodes when I was watching it on TV and got some in the wrong order so I was waiting for it all to be on Netflix to start from the beginning. Must get stuck into it again now I know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

A hidden gem this one, watched it all at some point last year and have mentioned it to anyone who will listen. I think Richard Harrington said he'd be open to another season at the time but apparently it's a nightmare to make, because they essentially have to make the same episode three times so it's relying on everyone being available. I think I read somewhere that some of their funding was cut (but don't take that as gospel) so might be a factor.

But a very enjoyable, well written, very well acted show - if they ever make more I'd be a happy man

Advertisement