Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - Though I would have liked to have seen a twist or two in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That first one seems kinda similar in vibe to Lockwood & Co.... so probably axed after one season then

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HollisHurlbut

Thought it was very good. Sent me down a path of looking for more WWII movies/shows to watch.

It was based on a novel and definitely had that feel about it.

Mark Ruffalo was pretty poor in it though and his accent was just bad at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I am bet into money heist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

From memory, don’t bother after series 1……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to agree about Mark Ruffalo, I usually love him but he was shocking alright, the accent was woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This.. Watched at the weekend. Excellent.

Loved the Smiths soundtrack, so dark, never knew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Good old fashioned true crime scandal. The interesting part here is the daft way it all kicks off, then snowballs out of control uncovering all kinds of dirt. Enjoyable 3 episodes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Season 2 of Wednesday is going to be filmed in Ireland, apparently. Due to start next April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Every time I see the poster for The Killer on somewhere like justwatch, I think it's Inspector Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

So much good stuff on Netflix at the moment.

We don’t see enough of Fassbender, top of his game and in The Killer there are no words to describe how good he is.

The Fall of the House of Usher is a work of art, beautifully done.. and I’m slap bang in the middle of the excellent Blue Eyed Samurai.

Worried I’m getting through all the quality stuff and by Xmas, will be just left with the mediocre films & series to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

The Crown, i watched it today 4 episodes its been done to death and the portrayal of Diana is more like a parody, all the mannerisms are over done, the only good portrayal is Dominic West as Charles. Verdict - its dull boring repetitive and very badly lit when in Balmoral. The Queen and Queen mother lack all the effervesence they had in real life and its shite utter shite glad its the last season as this is dying a death. The sooner it ends for good the better.

Yeah watching at the moment myself. Pure dross. Im expecting plenty of makey uppy near the end to make the royals look less like the bunch of dysfunctional brats they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

House of Usher was excellent

Was expecting it to lag or tail off like a lot of those series do but it was excellent to the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm reading a lot of positive reviews for the Scott Pilgrim anime, many of which emphasising it's not just a retread of the comic and makes a couple of significant changes. Kinda curious now to check it out, cos yeah: a simple redo (with the movie cast voicing it) was leaving me cold.

One Piece. 8 Episodes.

My son (13) said we should watch this as he's a fan of it in anime.

I was very skeptical but its 1 of the best series Ive seen in a long time.

We're watching together. Hooked on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll be watching at least a couple of episodes of it, and honestly will be somewhat surprised if I don't watch the whole lot. I'm a bit perplexed by bringing back the movie's voice cast not because they're in any way bad but because over a decade later, it'll be a bit weird to listen to them and think "yes, these people are all definitely teens /early twenty-somethings".

On the other hand, Anamanaguchi and Joseph Trapanese are doing the music, which I think is a good indication - the Anamanaguchi soundtrack to the game was excellent, and while a lot of the music used for the film was really good (Metric as The Clash At Demonhead a particular high point), the Beck songs for Sex Bob-omb mostly didn't feel like what a scrappy, not-very-good garage band would be coming up with (IMO the best of them was the absolute Pixies rip-off "No Fun", so of course that's the one we only hear about 15 seconds of in the film when Scott arrives at the Chaos Theatre...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Re your first sentence, is there really? I just can't seem to find anything I like, but will give those recommendations a try.

Is there anything at all along the lines of Breaking Bad, Bloodline and Ozark? I'm nearly getting nostalgic about those series as they turned me into a night owl binge watcher, but a very happy one, back in their heyday of a few years ago. Have found nothing since to grab my attention so much. Apart from Downton Abbey and The Crown, but the latter has really gone downhill and I've seen all of the former, including the movies.

Recently I've enjoyed the Beckham and Jill Dando documentaries, but would love some addictive fiction, crime, mystery, drama, anything with a strong compelling storyline, to get stuck into these long, dark nights.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ The Kominsky Method is great. El Marginal, the first couple of series are superb. Dahmer was the best thing on Netflix last year (?).

The Detectorists is a gentle series that is comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Ozark wasn’t for me, got bored.. same with Bloodline. That said, I highly rate Ben Mendelsohn - he was amazing in The Outsider and if you haven’t seen that, you’re in for a treat. But maybe it’s not for you.

I gave up on The Crown after the second series - the royal family are incredibly dull and watching a drama about them was tedious. The fictional Downtown Abbey, I adore.. disappear into it. They’re making another one, I’ve heard?

Rurouni Kenshin movies (based on the Japanese Manga series, my avatar) are incredible and very unique. The French Black Spot is a great mystery drama. The Young Wallander is not bad. Mike Flanagan’s horror series are works of art, really creative & amazing. His stuff just gets better & better.

The Alienist I’d recommend - read all the books and the costume drama/thriller is a treat. Great cast, I must say - some great stuff hidden in the dusty corners of Netflix, you just have to dig about.

I take it you’ve seen The Queen’s Gambit? That was rather wonderful. I disappeared into that right from the start. Again, great cast.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I just finished Till Murder Do Us Part and Murdaugh Murders

both were very good and recommended for someone who loves mini docuseries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode and yeah, the biggest hurdle was the clearly middled aged voices of the film cast; maybe that was simply me knowing Michael Cera et al were much older - but it did distract. Plus some put in more natural voice work than others. But the episode zipped along and was surprised how much it engaged me.

And the episode ended with a knowing acknowledgement that it had indeed taken a big swing. I'll say no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Just finished watching The Railwaymen about the Union Carbide gas leak in Bhopal. Was very upsetting but a great story of heroism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

12 Mighty Orphans

Just watched this film last night, based on true events, about a high-school American football team in the 1930’s/40’s called the Mighty Mites. I’d never heard of the story. 2 hours passed relatively quickly. It works on a few levels illustrating personal hardships, loyalty, fear, shame, societal order, as well as a bit about innovation and adaptability. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write all that, some great recommendations there. Like you say we just have to have a good root through "the dusty corners of Netflix." Love how you put that.😀 Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Batman the Animated Series & Justice League Animated Series were added this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I mean, it couldn't possibly be any worse than III - though apparently this is the director's first feature film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Another vote here for Black Spot and The Alienist. Both very enjoyable.

Advertisement