Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

although a big sports fan never got into Formula one and all the razzamataz.But start watching Drive to survive and really enjoying the series and the way they present the sport.Once you get to know thr individual drivers and their respective teams and the shenigans its well worth a watch.I like the fact its not all about the top teams ,so far its all about mid table teams and their rivalry and I suppose the clue was in the title of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

First feature, but Mark Molloy’s a huuuugely experienced commercial director. That doesn’t always translate, but in this case I think it will, since his best work is much more about performance than just quick bursts of style (though he does also tend to make things that look great) . His ‘Apple - Underdogs’ spots are well worth a look. (Also have a soft for the long-forms of his National Lottery - Fisherman, and Samsung - Every Day Is Day One spots… the latter makes me want to go surfing every time I see it)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The new Squid Games is really good. Such a great concept for a game show. 2 episodes in but I haven’t seen the Irish influencer guy in it, he must have been eliminated in 1st game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched all 5 episodes of Squid Games. It is fantastic, it works so well as a real game show even without the killings!! If they are able to keep changing the games up a bit but keeping the wacky theme to them, and keep the whole vibe the same, this could be the greatest game show ever created.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Excuse a slight deviation off-topic, but the NYT has a juicy story up about a very expensive sci-fi show they bought the rights to that we'll likely never see. Some wild details in the story! https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/22/business/carl-rinsch-netflix-conquest.html

"Soon after he signed the contract, Mr. Rinsch’s behavior grew erratic, according to members of the show’s cast and crew, texts and emails reviewed by The New York Times, and court filings in a divorce case brought by his wife. He claimed to have discovered Covid-19’s secret transmission mechanism and to be able to predict lightning strikes. He gambled a large chunk of the money from Netflix on the stock market and cryptocurrencies. He spent millions of dollars on a fleet of Rolls-Royces, furniture and designer clothing."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure who are the bigger idiots here, Netflix or Universal cos I'd forgotten about 47 Ronin yet ye gods: who gives a director 175 million for their first feature-film? That's madness, whatever about Netflix's own spending (cos you'd think after that bomb they'd be cautious - but such was the gold rush for "content"?)

That article was also the first time I've seen anyone mention Quibi. Man, remember Quibi lol? Otherwise, that's mad stuff being outlined.

Didn't think you'd be a secret commercial enthusiast lol; fair enough re. the guy's experience, I suppose it was more meant the suspicion that a newbie might be hired to just point and shoot so Murphy can píss about and maybe even take control of the shoot? IIRC the third film resulted in a notorious explosion of egos between John Landis and Murphy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

3 episodes into Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and I'm genuinely impressed and happy at the approach they've taken - it feels very much like O'Malley has, with the time that's passed since the comics and film adaptation were created, understood that

Scott is the least interesting character in the original story by a country mile, so largely removing him from the story beyond being a sort of plot device for Ramona actually leans into the strengths of the existing material.

I'll see how we go with the remaining episodes, but so far I am very happy with what I've seen.

Ha, yeah it's not the most exciting storytelling medium, but I've worked in commercials for a decade (have worked with Mark himself a few times), so it's a by-product of the job! He's definitely someone who'll have gone in to put his stamp on things in production anyway. Though Netflix are notorious for strong-arming projects in post-production to meet their various formulas though, so we'll see!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've been enjoying this, way more than I expected. I wonder how the greater (?) online Scott Pilgrim community has reacted to the big switch; I've warmed up to it cos at first I was a little doubtful of the change up. Still not sure on the animation style though - sometimes it's really faithful and full of life, other times it's weirdly sketchy (literally) and choppy.

Wonder when the spoiler statue of limitations expires cos the Thing Wot You Are Hiding happens after the first episode, it's quite an upfront change.

Oh!

Holy shít is this the first proper "degrees of separation" Boards film forum has had for someone quite high in the industry? Haha. Glad now I wasn't too salty in the first place; I take it Molloy is Irish? Well good luck to him either way cos it's a really Deep End situation as your first feature film, hopefully as you say he can put his stamp on things. must have a look at his commercials.

Nah, he's a fully fledged surfer Aussie! I'm based in Los Angeles myself, so that's where we've crossed paths. And yeah, a huge challenge alright... i think he'll do as decent a job as anyone, but for any of these nostalgia-driven movies it's a real uphill battle right from the get-go.

He's done loads of quite poignant little things (as much as ads can be) over the years, but I think it was his Apple Underdogs ones (there's a bunch of them) that put him in the picture for something like this, with a bit more comedy;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Really loving the Scott Pilgrim show, plenty of meta humor and plots. Plus visually gets to do what would cost a small fortune to do well visually.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Talk To Me

Ended up sticking this on last night and thought it was a lot better than I expected - in particular based on a lot of comments and reviews I had an idea that the third act would go off the rails, but to my mind it actually stuck the landing quite well. Thinking about what about it worked for me, it brought Smile to mind - I wasn't impressed by that film because while it had some well-executed moments, as a story it was a fairly derivative hodgepodge of better films without any real sense of a character with any depth or individuality at its core. Talk To Me, by contrast, is cut from the same cloth as It Follows - in that there's something weird happening that the protagonists try to understand, but there's no Big Lore Explanation and in any case, it wouldn't help. It doesn't matter why or how the Weird Thing is happening - just that it is happening. It's written that way and focused firmly on the characters, to the extent that you can see how easy it would have been to make the story about a non-supernatural problem without any significant changes.

It also put a bit of a spotlight on something that I found myself disliking about the new Evil Dead films - they're fairly bleak affairs, which is fine, but for me their fixation on having the Deadites be evil forces tormenting their victims falls flat because none of the protagonist characters ever felt like more than a trope or three thrown together. (It also helps that in Talk To Me, not only are the supernatural forces less one-note, but the characters in the film also acknowledge it when particularly cruel behaviour manifests, including the great line "Yo, this spirit's a c*nt!")

I can see why the third act might be frustrating for some - there's a certain sense of inevitability about how it plays out that, for me, made sense with what we were shown about Mia and her situation, but if you're expecting it to be a different type of film, it would probably leave a sour taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Starting watching second season of Squid games. Waiting for all the killings but now realise this is not going to happen and it's a different concept alltogether. Very disappointing.

It's a game show based on the show. Not an actual second season at all. There is a follow up coming however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve only seen two episodes of Scott Pilgrim and it’s a smart way for a creator to revisit their most famous creation from the perspective of being older and wiser. Still early but definitely intriguing.

That said, the original cast coming back, while impressive, might be a knock against it? A lot of them aren’t natural voice actors - which is fine, because it’s a very different gig that live action performance! Some of them just sound a bit flat here. Torn between it and the Japanese audio, as the latter seems like it’s a bit more tuned into the energy of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

It doesn't also help that folk like Michael Cera sound much older, middle aged as they would be now. Every time Scott spoke it just sounded wrong.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Reptile - starts well, seems really promising, some good acting with a truly awful ending.

I was really disappointed in this to be honest, there are too many loose ends at the end that are just left completely unaddressed, like they ran out of time or money or something. There are a number of head scratching moments throughout, where smart people momentarily become really stupid, or certain actions have no consequences.

Overall probably wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep by the end I hadn't a clue what I'd watched. Bizzare movie

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Yes, I am up to date on the episodes and can only imagine the rest being more intense as the numbers dwindle. Really enjoyable. My wife is watching it with me and is loving it even though she never watched the TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Squid Game: The Challenge is a tough one.

Far prefer the games than a lot of the bravado and slow-moving scheming among competitors.

But it's good fun nonetheless!

Eric Roberts has some good videos on it - he has a video indicating 'Red Light, Green Light' took 8 hours to film with 40 minutes between each round of eliminations.. and that it was absolutely freezing when filmed and that's why a lot of players including himself (finishing second) had their hands in their pockets while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I was wondering why they all had their hands in their pockets!! Including the mam. I thought maybe a balance thing but I'd have better balance with hands not in pockets.

I'm on second episode and loving it. Even though noone will die it still has a do or die feel to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

8th of Dec dropping

Barack and Michelle Obama are among it's executive producers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'm a bit confused. Is this a thread for discussing Films?

Why is all the discussion for TV series?

Mods - would be it be worth opening a different thread that is limited to discussing movie recommendations on Netflix? Bizarrely, none seems to exist.

Am getting really bored with all these celebrity docus on Netflix - the Beckham one was a bit nauseating, and this pretty much just as bad. The 'poor me' story of multi-millionaires. Highly self indulgent.

It has always been a loose enough thread given netflix itself has a fairly thin differentiation between film and TV "content"; recommendations and new releases tend to overlap

I dunno, they are two very different things - essentially, one is a nights viewing; the other is over a prolonged time period.

Personally, I prefer to watch films.

TBH - to have this discussion in the Films thread - a discussion on TV series that you watch on the TV.... I dunno, maybe pedantics on my part but....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a footy fan, I'm actually enjoying the Beckham doc. Interesting to see how his career developed.

Was slightly amused as to how they handled the affair he had. It was quickly passed over, no names mentioned etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Fyi from first post in thread:

It does what it says on the tin: a place for you to recommend Netflix films and shows.

• Advertisement

Doesnt change the fact that it would be good to have a separate thread focussing just on Netflix movies.

Advertisement