Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A hidden gem this one, watched it all at some point last year and have mentioned it to anyone who will listen. I think Richard Harrington said he'd be open to another season at the time but apparently it's a nightmare to make, because they essentially have to make the same episode three times so it's relying on everyone being available. I think I read somewhere that some of their funding was cut (but don't take that as gospel) so might be a factor.

But a very enjoyable, well written, very well acted show - if they ever make more I'd be a happy man

I know it was how they did the first 3 series but if production was that difficult just pick a language and do it once :D
    I'd happily watch it in Welsh, there's an audience for subtitles on BBC4 and on C4, not to mention the streaming services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Uncut Gems was great, total white knuckle anxiety inducing stuff. Loved the ending.

Some of you are very hard to please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Uncut Gems was great, total white knuckle anxiety inducing stuff. Loved the ending.

Some of you are very hard to please!

If you knew the ****e I watch you wouldn’t be using my reviews as a barometer tbh :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching Uncut Gems before bedtime seems like a surefire way to guarantee a restless night. Fair enough if it's not your type of film, but my heart rate shot up watching it, was an assault on ones senses. Had to get a walk in afterwards just to de-stress lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    Watching Uncut Gems before bedtime seems like a surefire way to guarantee a restless night. Fair enough if it's not your type of film, but my heart rate shot up watching it, was an assault on ones senses. Had to get a walk in afterwards just to de-stress lol

Yep. That’s precisely why I couldn’t recommend it.

Like Joker, I just found it extremely uncomfortable to watch, the difference with Uncut Gems is that there’s a lot more substance to It. I can appreciate the work, but I didn’t enjoy it.

Sandlers Howard Ratner is so unlikable, the Safdie brothers just hit the nail on the head, I’ve been to NYCs diamond districtIt and I’ve seen shops like this, so much going on at once, everyone taking over each other, shouting, drilling and hammering gong on in the background, everything is so uncoordinated, the only thing missing here was a little Jack Russell dog constantly barking.

Ratners character is just walking chaos, but this is how some people are, and the film does a great job at depicting someones psyche in dealing with a mental health disorder such as gambling addiction.

Ratner is a man out of control, he’s reckless and he just can’t help himself. Like I said, I didn’t necessarily like it, but Its like that Edvard Munch painting The Scream, I don't enjoy looking at it but I can appreciate the art.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I was looking forward to seeing Uncut Gems, have to say I was disappointed. It was too similar to 'Good Time', pacing, dialogue, sequence of events, etc. While I understand that both films have the same directors, that doesn't excuse them for essentially making the same film again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Don’t agree. While the films share a similar style and the two main characters share similarities, i.e. both are extremely unlikable and selfish, Pattinsons Connie is far more charismatic. He’s an emotional vampire, he uses his charisma to draw people in, uses them up for all their worth and tosses them aside when he’s done, whereas Sandlers Ratner is a man driving by his addiction, it’s the seed of his personality. Two very different stories.

While both films deal with complex issues, I think it’s Pattinsons charismatic portrayal of Connie which makes Good Time a far easier film to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

kerplun k wrote: »
    Don’t agree. While the films share a similar style and the two main characters share similarities, i.e. both are extremely unlikable and selfish, Pattinsons Connie is far more charismatic. He’s an emotional vampire, he uses his charisma to draw people in, uses them up for all their worth and tosses them aside when he’s done, whereas Sandlers Ratner is a man driving by his addiction, it’s the seed of his personality. Two very different stories.

While both films deal with complex issues, I think it’s Pattinsons charismatic portrayal of Connie which makes Good Time a far easier film to watch.

It is a bit more than similar styles, it felt like it was beat for beat the same as 'Good Time'. I reckon that if the pacing and timing of events of both films were mapped out, they would be virtually identical.

I didn't find either of them difficult to watch, the dialogue was hard to hear at times due to the background music and people talking over each other, which I understand is the intent.

Both main characters are in a downward spiral, which is their own doing. They may have different social skills or lack of, but they are both playing people to their own advantages. Just one does it with a smile, while the other does it with a New York 'F*** You' attitude. Their stories are the same story just presented in a different package.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks just to flag there’s a dedicated Uncut Gems thread perfectly suited to a more thorough discussion of the film :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058019274

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So when I posted my ‘Ghibli tier’ list a while back I did so with the disclaimer there were some I needed to revisit. Really I was referring to Porco Rosso, which left me lukewarm when I watched it years ago (IIRC a dubbed - boo! - version recorded off Film Four) during my initial Ghibli binge. But I’d heard people I very much hold in high regard saying it was awesome, so I owed it a second chance.

It brings me great pleasure to report that I was wrong the first time, and the film is marvellous. I had a vague memory of it as a slightly overwrought film, but quite the opposite - it’s in fact delightfully sprightly, packed with glorious flight sequences, joyous character design and boundless energy. Porco and Fio are a classic Miyazaki pair too. Always excited when a film manages to surprises me on a revisit, and even as a long-time Miyazaki disciple who has long since exhausted his back catalogue it was a pleasure to properly if belatedly fall for this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone notice netflix are getting really bad with notifications? Started Sabrina part 3. Stopped earlier today on episode 3, so naturally it's on my Continue Watching list.
    Yet I also got a notification saying "Don't forget to finish Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I know it's a well laboured point, but how someone can put in the performances Adam Sandler did in Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems and at the same time make the other garbage he does is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

tigger123 wrote: »
    I know it's a well laboured point, but how someone can put in the performances Adam Sandler did in Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems and at the same time make the other garbage he does is beyond me.

Money is probably a big part of the reason. He has been one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood because of starring in these stupid goofball comedies. He probably took a big pay cut to make uncut gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Money is probably a big part of the reason. He has been one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood because of starring in these stupid goofball comedies. He probably took a big pay cut to make uncut gems.

Sandler produces a lot of the silly comedies he's in and while not smash hits they have enough of the daft comedy that seems to be so popular in the US that he usually makes his money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Was the BBC Earth series only taken off of the American Netflix? I remember reading a few months ago that it would be leaving the platform. Thankfully, they are still on Netflix in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

501808.png

What starts out as a 'coming of age' type film, this takes a dark turn when things awry. Really well acted. A few tonal shifts in there, so not a stop-start film; set space aside to watch it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm just after finishing a run through both seasons of Lost in Space. Have to say it's a fantastic show, one of the best I've seen. It knock Star Trek Discovery into a cocked hat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Half way through the stranger. It’s brilliant. Every episode is full on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,892 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rfrip wrote: »
    Half way through the stranger. It’s brilliant. Every episode is full on!

Just finished it. A very good watch.

Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

Just finished it myself, excellent series.

Every single piece of it was well written and directed with no boring parts whatsoever.

10/10 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Did anyone watch NSU: German History X?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brief teaser for a new series coming at the end of the month with two of the kids from 'IT':

If it's even half as good as TEOTFW, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Faith, Hope & Love
    After shattering losses, a recent divorcée and a heartbroken widower restore their lives when they partner for a dance competition to save her studio

She Did That
    Go inside the lives of extraordinary, black female entrepreneurs as they discuss building legacies and pioneering a new future for the next generation.

Tom Papa: You're Doing Great!
    Comedian Tom Papa takes on body image issues, social media, pets, Staten Island, the "old days" and more in a special from his home state of New Jersey.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Basq wrote: »
    Brief teaser for a new series coming at the end of the month with two of the kids from 'IT':

If it's even half as good as TEOTFW, I'm in!

So netflix need 4 more to complete the set.
    Based on graphic novels, if anyone wants to learn more

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Really enjoyed the AAron Hernandez series. Never heard of him or googled him until i completed the episodes which i suppose enhanced the story.

Im sure if you lived stateside you would pretty much have heard the whole story in the news as it happened. if it was fictional it would have been watchable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Did anyone watch NSU: German History X?

I watched this a while ago, thought it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I watched this a while ago, thought it was very good.

I watched the first ep. it’s ok. Didn’t really have anything to say. Just told the story of a couple of dangerous idiots.

The main reason I asked was what the hell happened to Beata’s pregnancy? She got pregnant and then nothing happened. She never got a bump or had a kid. Did I miss something??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

#cats_the_mewvie
    This pawesome documentary explores how our feline friends became online icons, from the earliest text memes to the rise of celebrity cat influencers.

The Pharmacist
    After his son's tragic death, a Louisiana pharmacist goes to extremes to expose the rampant corruption behind the opioid addiction crisis.

Uppity: The Willy T. Ribbs Story
    This documentary profiles a defiant driver who challenged racial barriers in American auto racing, becoming the first black man to race in the Indy 500.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

peteeeed wrote: »

The Pharmacist
    After his son's tragic death, a Louisiana pharmacist goes to extremes to expose the rampant corruption behind the opioid addiction crisis.

sounds interesting !!

Advertisement