Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Different actors and I'm finding them better than those in Safe. I used to like Dexter but found him to be a bad actor (or was it just bad writing?) when he was in Safe. The Stranger is more interesting and less predictable. Wherever they're shooting in England looks really nice, they must be paid more on teacher's wages over there, the houses are massive!

Dexter was probably easier to act as it was based on his real life before he turned to acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Wherever they're shooting in England looks really nice, they must be paid more on teacher's wages over there, the houses are massive!

Looks like various locations around Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Different actors and I'm finding them better than those in Safe. I used to like Dexter but found him to be a bad actor (or was it just bad writing?) when he was in Safe. The Stranger is more interesting and less predictable. Wherever they're shooting in England looks really nice, they must be paid more on teacher's wages over there, the houses are massive!

Safe was ruined by Michael C Hall's terrible English accent - this despite him having lived in London for a year before shooting started. And the show required a few leaps of logic to move the plot forward.....it just wasn't that good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

munster87 wrote: »
    Dexter was probably easier to act as it was based on his real life before he turned to acting.
    Was he a serial killer before he turned to acting?
    Not much of a stretch for him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Was he a serial killer before he turned to acting?
    Not much of a stretch for him then.

The son, Tom in the stranger is the stand out bad actor for me so far.
    If theyn go with the save twist as Safe I'm gonna be really pissed off.
    the wife better not be in the neighbors house across the road this whole tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kursk: The Last Mission
    For the crew trapped aboard a sunken Russian submarine the deadliest threat is the bureaucracy on land. Based on a true story.

Peter Rabbit
    In this mix of live action and CGI, rascally Peter Rabbit faces a tough new foe in his ongoing battle for the veggies in Mr. McGregor's garden.

Polaroid
    A teen's discovery of a vintage Polaroid camera develops into a darker tale when she finds that whoever takes their photo with it dies soon afterward.

Status Update
    A teen has trouble fitting into his new high school until a magical app on his phone makes every status he posts come true

added

neris wrote: »
    Yeah watched it over the weekend. Its about the conquest of Constaniople/Istanbul by the Ottomans. Thought it was going to be a drama type thing buts its a mix of drama and historical fact. Theres a break in it at times for historians/authors etc to give an "expert" opinion or overview on whats just happened. If your into history its good
    Finally getting round to watching it; episode 1 is pretty well done, and very informative, so will definitely watch it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Finally getting round to watching it; episode 1 is pretty well done, and very informative, so will definitely watch it through.

If you like that there’s 450 odd 40 min episodes of epic Turkish historic drama “Resurrection Ertugrul” also on NF, to get stuck into

If you like that there’s 450 odd 40 min episodes of epic Turkish historic drama “Resurrection Ertugrul” also on NF, to get stuck into
    I think I checked this out a while back, but couldn't take to it. I'll have another look to see, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Lemmy is a good watch, gives a excellent insight into his life and nice to see how he was held in such a high regard amongst the biggest bands and musicians in rock and metal

• Advertisement

Running with the Devil
    A meticulous drug trafficker must elude federal agents while he analyzes his boss's smuggling operation to pinpoint where things are breaking down.

El final del paraíso season 1
    In Colombia, the DEA's new director targets a gang of dealers pushing a powerful drug while contending with an enemy who possesses a deep network.

Love for Sale 2
    Exhausted with his mother's failed attempts at setting him up with women, Ican hires an ideal partner from a matchmaking app

Lying and Stealing
    A talented thief teams up with an aspiring actress to steal art from LA's high rollers. For their last heist, they're going for the ultimate: freedom.

added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

peteeeed wrote: »
    Polaroid
    A teen's discovery of a vintage Polaroid camera develops into a darker tale when she finds that whoever takes their photo with it dies soon afterward.

This sounds like it's based a Goosebumps book I read as kid called Say Cheese and Die. Both the book and the film have a character called Bird in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished Stranger over the weekend and thought it was very good. Fled through the 8 episodes. Part of it seemed a little OTT and the ending was a bit odd but overall solid 7/10.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

Part of it seemed a little OTT

Early contender for 'understatement of the year'.

The whole thing is ludicrous. I am enjoying it but it is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Kursk is quite good..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Gotta say I'm super-psyched that a whole generation of kids will have incredibly easy access to the Ghibli back catalogue. I mean, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I haven't seen in years, it's wonderful to know a whole new generation will get to discover them now :)

For those keen to dive in to the back catalogue, here's how I'd rate them by handy tiers, from essential to avoid. Caveat: it's been a good long while now since I've seen some of them and there are a couple (Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns in particular) I've been eager to revisit.

'Greatest animated films of all time' contenders

My Neighbour Totoro
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

'Mere' masterpieces

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
    Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
    Pom Poko
    Grave of the Fireflies

'Really great but don't start with these as they're a little more niche'

The Wind Rises
    My Neighbors the Yamadas
    Whisper of the Heart
    Only Yesterday

Good, solid, mid-tier Ghibli

Porco Rosso
    Ocean Waves
    From Up On Poppy Hill
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Arriety

'Yeah, they're alright'

When Marine Was There
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Cat Returns

Baaadddd Ghibli

Tales from Earthsea (NB: just read the books, because they're incredible)

watched My Neighbour Totoro yesterday for the first time. Wonderful film. Looking forward to watching more Ghibli films, as I've none of them seen before !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh god yes - many of them are perfect for kids. My Neighbour Totoro is IMO the greatest family film ever made, and the likes of Spirited Away, Ponyo, Laputa, Kiki and Arrietty are designed for all ages. Princess Mononoke is pitched at a somewhat older audience and is quite violent at times, and the less fantastical ones like Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday and From Up On Poppy Hill might be a bit tough for kids to sit through... but I wish I’d had the pleasure of discovering many of the others when I was a kid :)

Watched 'My Neighbour Totoro' on Saturday evening with my wife and my 11 year old boy. Was a bit apprehensive at first as both of them wouldn't be ones to appreciate a slow movie, or to watch a movie and then judge it on it's entirety.

I loved it, and much to my delight, so did my wife and son. Both thought the time watching it flew, which I was delighted to hear as I thought they might have found it a bit meandering or abstract. We've decided we're going to watch 1 every week now.

Cheers for the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gave Horse Girl a watch

Im just confused by the most of it, and dont know what to think at all

As was I. Very strange movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Myself and the OH watched Only Yesterday yesterday. We would both be Ghibli fans but hadn't come across it before. It was a little bit slow and possibly too long but overall it was a lovely little film. Couldn't see kids enjoying it a whole lot though as it's very much just a drama that happens to be animated.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Watched the Pharmacist and would highly recommend it. It highlights what lengths some companies in the pharmaceutical industry will go to for money.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

sporter1 wrote: »
    Watched the Pharmacist and would highly recommend it. It highlights what lengths some companies in the pharmaceutical industry will go to for money.

i watched the first episode, and was undecided on it , it's worth watching the rest ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

can't unsee Tim Sherwood watching Richard Armitage in The Stranger :D

enjoying it though, it's wild!

currently halfway through Season 1 Episode 4 & lots going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

peteeeed wrote: »

Good stuff! It’s one of the best original Netflix shows

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

More people should be watching Locke & Key..

.. it's gotten mixed reviews but after 7 episodes, I'm genuinely excited to see where it's going next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is it scary?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Addle wrote: »
    Is it scary?
    Nah, not particularly. There's supernatural elements to it but it's no 'Haunting On Hill House' if that's what you're expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

El Duda wrote: »
    Early contender for 'understatement of the year'.

The whole thing is ludicrous. I am enjoying it but it is a farce.

True it is a little OTT but no more so than line of Duty and a few others.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

2smiggy wrote: »
    i watched the first episode, and was undecided on it , it's worth watching the rest ?

Definitely, episodes 3 and 4 are very revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Delighted to see people experiencing and loving My Neighbour Totoro. It’s been firmly lodged in my three favourite films of all time for well over a decade now and isn’t being displaced anytime soon, so always great to see other people discover its magic :) Spirited Away is a very close second for me, incidentally: both films are miracles of cinema.

One of the unheralded (if often theoretical) benefits of streaming is how much more accessible it can make film - including film history. I’ve often been deeply critical of Netflix in that regard: their back catalogue of classic / independent / world / even American cinema is woefully lacking, given the money at their disposal. But sometimes things work out, and so many Ghibli films being easily available to such a wide audience is an unambiguously good thing as far as I’m concerned. If people out there get as much joy out of the films as I’ve gotten over the years thanks to Netflix accessibility, that’s a wonderful thing :)

Advertisement