Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I don't think I'll bother with the next Harlan Coben's whatever to be honest.
    Safe and The Stranger both seemed kinda intriguing to start, just turned into a mish-mash of open questions and had no real pay off or satisfactory resolution imo.
    I only have the stranger a chance cos I thought they might have avoided the same problems as Safe and lived up to the potential. But seems this is just Coben's style (assuming they are true to the books) so I'm out.

It's definitely no Prime Suspect or the likes

Coben seems like the sort of writer who churns out a thriller every week, which has the same twist/plot just different characters.

It had the feel of an Americanised Britain, school kids driving around in SUV's, how everyone was so involved within a very small circle, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Inglorious Basterds

Green Street

Immortals

Kicking & Screaming

The Tale of Despereaux

Tower Heist

What Dreams May Come

Lone Survivor

Pitch black

The Unborn

Cable Girls: Season 5, Part 1
    In 1920s Madrid, four women at the National Telephone Company ring in revolution as they manage romance, friendship and the modern workplace.

Castle and Castle season 1
    A pair of high-powered, successful lawyers find themselves defending opposite interests of the justice system, causing a strain on their happy marriage.

Cuddle Weather
    When a seasoned sex worker sleeps with a rookie call boy, they soon find that a strictly physical relationship doesn't completely satisfy them.

Isi & Ossi
    A billionaire's daughter fakes a relationship with a cash-strapped boxer in order to coerce her parents into letting her pursue her culinary dreams.

Liefling
    An adventure-loving young woman catches the attention of a handsome beau in this musical celebration of love, friends and fate

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »
    Pitch black
    I like that one a lot. The sequels aren't nearly as good, but that's a horror movie with a great premise and interesting characters. A spaceship crashes on a sun-baked planet with a dangerous prisoner (Vin Diesel) on board, but he's not the scariest thing on the planet. It is a better film for focussing on the pilot (Radha Mitchell) who feels guilty for how she handled the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DVDM93 wrote: »
    can't unsee Tim Sherwood watching Richard Armitage in The Stranger :D

enjoying it though, it's wild!

currently halfway through Season 1 Episode 4 & lots going on.
    It is bizarre imo the twists pile up and it seriously goes off the tracks...load of rubbish.
    The Tim Sherwood thing is so spot on though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

gmisk wrote: »
    It is bizarre imo the twists pile up and it seriously goes off the tracks...load of rubbish.
    The Tim Sherwood thing is so spot on though lol

Aw really! I loved it! Thought are tv tastes were similar ;)

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    Aw really! I loved it! Thought are tv tastes were similar ;)
    Ha ha I usually love a bit of trash that's true (love island most defo!) but when it comes to thriller type stuff I prefer the quality stuff lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    I like that one a lot. The sequels aren't nearly as good, but that's a horror movie with a great premise and interesting characters. A spaceship crashes on a sun-baked planet with a dangerous prisoner (Vin Diesel) on board, but he's not the scariest thing on the planet. It is a better film for focussing on the pilot (Radha Mitchell) who feels guilty for how she handled the crash.

Pitch Black is an excellent, Aliens knock off b-movie and exactly the kind of movie nobody makes anymore (bar Netflix perhaps). The characters are rote but written well enough to make the "cast picked off" work.

Though Chronicles of Riddick is a different beast altogether. It's a glorious fever dream of utter entertaining nonsense, and I love it, despite and maybe because of all its faults. Again, the sort of film nobody makes anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Though Chronicles of Riddick is a different beast altogether. It's a glorious fever dream of utter entertaining nonsense, and I love it, despite and maybe because of all its faults. Again, the sort of film nobody makes anymore.
    I actually watched the director's commentary once, and was surprised by the density of ideas that went into background stuff. The set and costume design are great, but it's not just visual. The guy is a very passionate sci-fi fan. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Luna Nera. Italian language drama series (15 episodes) about witch-hunts in 17th century Italy.

The BFG
    The last stand

Added

• Advertisement

Proud Mary
    In trying to protect an orphaned boy, a guilt-ridden hit woman sparks a bitter mob war and soon faces tremendous threats from all sides

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

There's a thread for this on TV recommendations, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105280084
    so this would be for Netflix specifically. Season 1 and 2 on Netflix. Season 3 airing in Germany next week, and in summer for us here.
    Renewed for season 4.

Begin Again

The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia
    15-year-old scientist Ashley Garcia explores the great unknown of modern teendom after moving across the country to pursue a career in robotics.

Love Dot Com: The Social Experiment
    Sparks fly and romance blooms when Shelby, a vegan chef, meets Greg, a developer - until their opposing views clash.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Rise of Empires: Ottoman. A fairly detailed docu-drama series about the Fall of Constantinople in 1453. Watched it last night.

Rise of Empires: Ottoman. A fairly detailed docu-drama series about the Fall of Constantinople in 1453. Watched it last night.
    Ottoman Rising (on IMDb), but Rise of Empires: Ottoman (original title) in RT (and on Netflix).

Weird that IMDb changed the title to Ottoman Rising; maybe there was an idea to start a series of rising empires, but there's been a change of tune. Dunno.
    Great series though, both as one that provides very good background info, and one with pretty decent acting and directing (for the genre), to make it a very high quality history piece.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Begin Again

The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia
    15-year-old scientist Ashley Garcia explores the great unknown of modern teendom after moving across the country to pursue a career in robotics.

Love Dot Com: The Social Experiment
    Sparks fly and romance blooms when Shelby, a vegan chef, meets Greg, a developer - until their opposing views clash.

added
    Begin again is no sing street....but is watchable...despite James Corden being in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

gmisk wrote: »
    Begin again is no sing street....but is watchable...despite James Corden being in it

Looked it up on IMDb - thought yeah, this looks ok - saw that the knob from Maroon 5 is in it, it's a no from me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looked it up on IMDb - thought yeah, this looks ok - saw that the knob from Maroon 5 is in it, it's a no from me

He's barely in it and he's almost playing a parody of himself.

Annabelle: Creation
    Years after their daughter's death, a dollmaker and his wife open their home to several orphans, who soon begin to fear one of his eerie creations.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
    Surly Squirrel brings his animal amigos together in order to save their beloved park from the greedy mayor's destructive plans.

added

The Chef Show season 3
    Writer, director and food enthusiast Jon Favreau and chef Roy Choi explore food in and out of the kitchen with accomplished chefs and celebrity friends.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ad vitam seems good so far in the first ep.
    french sci fi shows so far so good - the one about the virtual dating app was brilliant

bluewolf wrote: »
    ad vitam seems good so far in the first ep.
    french sci fi shows so far so good - the one about the virtual dating app was brilliant
    Can't seem to find the posts of mine about it last year; watched the full series anyway. Slow, in the ponderous French way, but I quite enjoyed it. Some clever stuff in it. Gets more 'thrillery' towards the end.

Finally found them:
    I've watched the first 3 episodes. Like many French series it's rather slow and low-key, but it's got some interesting things going on with decent acting. No r/v's on IMDb or RT, but other reviews say it gets more interesting as the episodes go on. I actually quite like the slow pace, given the contemplative nature of the conceit involved, and the slow reveals of some large nefarious goings-on, without any hints of any large-scale conspiracy, yet. It's intriguing, though it's pace might not be for all.
    Finished it. It does pick up the pace somewhat, then ends suddenly; I hadn't realised it's only 6 episodes. I quite liked it; quite an interesting storyline, examining the impact on the human psyche of the possibility of immortality, along with the darker side of suicides and murders. What it examines is the thought that immortality has its downsides.
    Reminds me of the ennui inherent in immortality considered by the ancient Greek philosophers, which of course was brought to its philosophical apex in the series 'True Blood'.:p

great stuff looking forward to the rest.
    you might like Osmosis if you hadn't seen it

Spectros Season 1 (brazilian)
    A group of teens get caught up in a supernatural clash as vengeful spirits from centuries past rise up in the Liberdade district of São Paulo.

Untamed Romania
    This documentary explores how the legendary creatures of Romania's vast wilderness roam free yet endure the ever-changing seasons.

added

tomorrow we have
    The Last Thing He Wanted
    starring Anne Hathaway, Willem Dafoe, Toby Jones and Ben Affleck

Babies
    From nature to nurture, this docuseries explores the groundbreaking science that reveals how infants discover life during their very first year

The Body
    Mind games and mystery abound as a detective investigates the disappearance of a woman's body from a morgue in this Hindi remake of a Spanish thriller

The Last Thing He Wanted
    A hard-hitting reporter becomes entangled in the story she's trying to break when she helps her ailing father broker an arms deal in Central America

Puerta 7 season 1
    A determined woman works to rid an Argentine soccer club of the violent crime and corruption surrounding its intense fanbase

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

finally got around to watching "The pharmacist". Another strong short netflix docu series. really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished The Devil Next Door.

Really compelling viewing. 5 episodes but only about 40 mins each so you fly through it.

Show Dogs was very entertaining. Comedy movie with talking animals and your man from arrested development is in it

• Advertisement

Unabomber - In His Own Words
    The CIA attempts to turn Ted Kaczynski, aka the Unabomber, into a super agent -- a plan that backfires. Based on real events

Girl on the Third Floor
    A husband with a bad track record tries to start anew by renovating a rundown Victorian for his family, only to find he's tackled a house out of hell

Added

Advertisement