Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

santana75 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to start this for ages now. Is it that good?

I’ve watched every season.
    There are moments where you think this sh1t is just way too stupid and corny, but then there is moments of such brilliant violence and brutality, and the stories around it play out so well.
    You have to watch it from season 1 and not skip through any. The ending of the 2nd last season was so violent and tragic it left me in shock, in a good way. But you got an awful lot of minutes to get through to get to that stage.
    The 2nd season is probably best of all seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

when netflix acquired the series, they called it top boy season 1. the older channel 4 top boy (series 1 and 2) are now called top boy summerhouse (1 and 2) both also available on netflix

this.

have lost count at this stage the amount of people who've watched Top Boy on Netflix only to later find out/not find out at all about Summerhouse. I'm glad it did happen to me, pain in the arse I'd imagine.

Netflix should probably merge them, if they're allowed of course.

Jack43 wrote: »
    Sons of anarchy well worth a watch

one of my work colleagues watched it all the way to the very last episode & pulled the plug there & then.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me how he'd committed so far only not even to be tempted to see out the last episode.

My experience, I should have stopped watching it after the 2nd season.

I got as far as half way through the 7th season but it was painful & a lot of them latter episodes/seasons would have been when I couldn't decide on what else to watch.

started off great tbh but imo it just died an absolute death & ended up being total sh1te in the end.

I still can't understand how he didn't just finish off the last episode mind but I can relate & reason a little more to & with his decision after watching it myself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It has some really good stuff, and some properly poor stuff. The good stuff is basically "Hamlet with bikers" and done well, but the bad stuff involves an entire season (season 3) set in Northern Ireland where the casting seems to have been "anyone who has, or can imitate, what they think is a Northern Irish accent". And the ending is dragged out (like so many shows are) in the final 2 seasons, though there are still some great individual episodes along the way.

I don't know if I'd be arsed watching it all again, tbh, though there are a few episodes I'd rewatch happily and, if you enjoy the first 3 or 4 episodes you'll probably enjoy most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Altered Carbon season 2

Followers Season 1
    When an aspiring actress hits it big thanks to a candid Instagram post, the lives of several Tokyo women cross as they struggle to define happiness IRL.

Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution
    After accepting an invitation from a mysterious trainer, Ash, Misty and Brock meet Mewtwo, an artificially created Pokémon who wants to do battle.

Thriller
    When a prank goes wrong, a shy kid from Compton is sent away for murder. Four years later, he's back and out for revenge on homecoming weekend.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

peteeeed wrote: »
    Altered Carbon season 2

Followers Season 1
    When an aspiring actress hits it big thanks to a candid Instagram post, the lives of several Tokyo women cross as they struggle to define happiness IRL.

Pokn: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution
    After accepting an invitation from a mysterious trainer, Ash, Misty and Brock meet Mewtwo, an artificially created Pokn who wants to do battle.

Thriller
    When a prank goes wrong, a shy kid from Compton is sent away for murder. Four years later, he's back and out for revenge on homecoming weekend.

added

And of course the final episode of Love is blind added this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Best thing about it is Jax's walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Best thing about it is Jax's walk.

I loved Sons of Anarchy, but it does lose its way a bit, and they get a bit too fond of A-team style shoot outs towards the end too

The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez, looking forward to watching this one over the weekend.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80220207?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Yea looks good alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez, looking forward to watching this one over the weekend.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80220207?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Be warned, it is a very tough watch.

Be warned, it is a very tough watch.

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I watched Horse Girl last night,what a weird film i had no idea what was going on:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

About 4 episodes into 'I'm Not Okay With This'.. it's an easy watch but it's almost too much of a carbon copy of TEOTFW.

That plus the two leads aren't nearly as good as Jessica Barden and Alex Lawther.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And of course the final episode of Love is blind added this morning.

Watching it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I loved Sons of Anarchy, but it does lose its way a bit, and they get a bit too fond of A-team style shoot outs towards the end too

Shoot outs that see people take cover behind Harley's... which don't seem like the best thing for cover.

Always laughed at how the shoot out would last a few minutes, no one was seriously hurt. Then the main characters would talk out their issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Not a particularly believable, but entertaining enough show. Gave up at the start of whatever season was supposed to be in Norn Arland. That was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not a particularly believable, but entertaining enough show. Gave up at the start of whatever season was supposed to be in Norn Arland. That was just terrible.

It always is when American shows go to Ireland, I remember Heroes had a character in Cork for half a season or so, just woeful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It always is when American shows go to Ireland, I remember Heroes had a character in Cork for half a season or so, just woeful.

It makes sense from an Irish American point of view though, that demographic seems mythologise Ireland so much, the twee fairytale we see on TV is what they imagine us still to be. You kinda saw it mocked in that Simpsons episode really, where the family were shocked to find a liberal, prosperous and modern country instead of the Angela's Ashes roleplay they presumed.

It's same across the board though, they persist with stereotypes to this day: Russia full of drunken thugs in sportswear, France full of snobs, England all royals and bad teeth, etc etc.

It's the accents that get me though; I can forgive a little Ballykissangel, but the lazy accents always ruins the spell (Picard had a truly awful one recently via a hologram)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Titus Wellivers Irish Accent in SOA was the worst ever.

• Advertisement

Mayans MC is a lot worse than SOA. I couldn’t get through the 1st season of it. It’s not on Netflix tho.
    The Canadian gangster series that Tig from soa is in is worth a watch, Bad Blood.

Well love is blind has a few surprises. Just read online that it finished recording in November 2018 so interested to see if all remains how the series finished. And yes it's trash TV but addictive trash TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Wait, how come I don't have the new Season 6 Brooklyn 99 on my Netflix? Still only showing up to S05 :(:(

Edit: It says it'll be on 28 March... but from previous posts it seemed to be appearing already ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Caranica wrote: »
    Well love is blind has a few surprises. Just read online that it finished recording in November 2018 so interested to see if all remains how the series finished. And yes it's trash TV but addictive trash TV :D

Parking the finale for the weekend - cant wait !! I read online today that Netflix are airing a reunion show early March !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    It makes sense from an Irish American point of view though, that demographic seems mythologise Ireland so much, the twee fairytale we see on TV is what they imagine us still to be. You kinda saw it mocked in that Simpsons episode really, where the family were shocked to find a liberal, prosperous and modern country instead of the Angela's Ashes roleplay they presumed.

It's same across the board though, they persist with stereotypes to this day: Russia full of drunken thugs in sportswear, France full of snobs, England all royals and bad teeth, etc etc.

It's the accents that get me though; I can forgive a little Ballykissangel, but the lazy accents always ruins the spell (Picard had a truly awful one recently via a hologram)

Yep, keeping it Netflix and Star Trek theme, I recently binged Voyager and was truly horrified when I came to the episodes with the Irish village holodeck.

whatever76 wrote: »
    Parking the finale for the weekend - cant wait !! I read online today that Netflix are airing a reunion show early March !!

Next Thursday, not sure if it's Netflix or YouTube, I read a couple of articles that said reunion is on YT. Group reunion photo on loads of sites but watch the episode as the photo definitely is a spoiler.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yep, keeping it Netflix and Star Trek theme, I recently binged Voyager and was truly horrified when I came to the episodes with the Irish village holodeck.

Go back to season 1 of TNG where they have to relocate some colonists from planet oirland:

tumblr_inline_p8nloqZYLK1r582r6_500.jpg

Peaky blinders season 5 arrives April 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

peteeeed wrote: »
    Peaky blinders season 5 arrives April 22nd

Is that the one where he's now an MP? Don't get too excited, it's not great unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement

Is that the one where he's now an MP? Don't get too excited, it's not great unfortunately. :(

It was awful.

Advertisement